Kill engines - "feature"

Reaction score
The whole feature of when i am on the ground and i pull the throttle stick all the way down, which seems to require twice, very nice feature and I like it. But this drone can determine when its battery life is low enough that it must return home before it crosses that thresh-hold. So that means it is smart enough to know all that and factor it in. But it cant determine that the thing is 80 feet off the ground so dont kill my flipping motors no matter if i push the throttle sticks down 50 times, why in the world would you kill the motors knowing you are that high off the ground?
My drone survived but I took a heavy dent on the camera cover. I could not believe that it would do that. That "feature" is STUPID. i was trying to get it down, and was holding the throttle down, my finger slipped so i again pushed it all the way down and boom - my bird dropped like a turd in the toilet from 80 feet up.

DJI will actually ship you a free safety feature to prevent this, how about just build it into the firmware not to kill engines unless i am less than a foot off the ground? like are you kidding me?!!?

Reactions: Mike Mauk
You cannot kill the motors by pushing the throttle stick the whole way down while you're in the air.

I hear you saying that, and i dont want to test to find out. But when i am on the ground and I press the throttle sticks down, it kills my engines. It was the exact same process while my bird was 80 feet up. It has not done that again, but I truely believe it was simply me double tapping the throttle sticks down. How would i determine was caused it? Since you guys are saying it was "another" reason. Which to me means, it could happen again

also... if my bird wouldnt crash if i do that, why does DJI make an aftermarket "safety" feature to prevent this exact thing??

But when i am on the ground and I press the throttle sticks down, it kills my engines. It was the exact same process while my bird was 80 feet up. It has not done that again
Are you saying this happened to you before?

i dont quite remember what i was doing with my other stick, i dont think anything, but just by the question you are asking - i am back to the beginning, why in the world would anything i do kill the engines while i am that high up. that doesnt make sense to me

why in the world would anything i do kill the engines while i am that high up. that doesnt make sense to me
There are many answers to this question. Perhaps your Phantom is uncontrollably flying toward a crowd of people...

Reactions: Dounin Front
I hear you saying that, and i dont want to test to find out. But when i am on the ground and I press the throttle sticks down, it kills my engines. It was the exact same process while my bird was 80 feet up. It has not done that again, but I truely believe it was simply me double tapping the throttle sticks down. How would i determine was caused it? Since you guys are saying it was "another" reason. Which to me means, it could happen again
Since you are saying "sticks" as in plural, it leads us to believe that you executed the CSC which would indeed kill the motors while in flight. That is what it is designed to do so that you can stop the motors in an emergency. Left stick (singular) down is the preferred way to stop the motors once the P3 in either on the ground or in your hand.

Reactions: libertyflyer
+1

(Serenity now)

Reactions: Oso
i honestly dont think i performed the CSC procedure. I am pretty sure I always keep both hands on each a stick. How could i determine if i caused my crash or was it random? if it was me, shame on me. If it was random, i would like to know the reason behind it.

i honestly dont think i performed the CSC procedure. I am pretty sure I always keep both hands on each a stick. How could i determine if i caused my crash or was it random? if it was me, shame on me. If it was random, i would like to know the reason behind it.
check the flight record, look at the stick movement. short of that, upload your flight logs to healthydrones.com

also, this is my first post here and I must say bravo. You guys are johnny on the spot with responses. this was my first phantom as well and very impressed other than my 80 foot drop.

That is very easy. GO into your flight log on your tablet and view the flight recording. Make sure you click on the stick control icon on the lower left and it will show you if you performed a CSC. Let us know.

Reactions: jdawg39
thanks i will check it right when i get home. Appreciate your help guys. I came here to vent, but you guys have helped educate me as well.

+1

(Serenity now)
Love the "serenity now." I have that one set a shortcut on my phone for quick texting to my wife.

Reactions: JoBe and brianb87

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl