Kicked out of my favorite park

Very true, I am speaking in the sense that the staff that confronted me was was correct in their statements. Of course they could be wrong but we will know for sure when the park management gets back to me on my clarification questions.
But thinking logically, I saw someone driving around one of those higher end RC cars. Should he be not allowed to drive it because it has a electric motor?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
According to your post containing the restrictions, model cars require the same permission.

Park rules are available at http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs/fishwild/parkmgmt.pdf
I live nearby, and while I haven't gone to Lincoln Woods to fly, it's a pretty crappy rule. I have been working on ways to test the DEM and get it overturned, but surprisingly have not had any park rangers give me any trouble. I have flown at a few other state parks, in plain view of a ranger and they didn't even make a point to get out of the truck to ask questions.

In general, the rule is aimed at curtailing loud noises and nuisances. The phantom would definitely fall under engine powered model aircraft. The rule also mentions being audible at 200 feet. An easy test is to fly straight up until you are 200 feet AGL indicated and see if the noise would rise to a nuisance level. Usually it does not- and I've been in situations where the music coming from people's cars (at Goddard) definitely surpasses that threshold.
The rule also states that you can get a written permission to operate. I believe that riparks.com has a permit application for "special use" and for photography, but no fees listed for either and they don't show up in the list of fees published. A photographer friend confirmed that the permit was free the last time he had to get one to shoot a wedding at a state park.
You can try to get a permit- and if you're denied then you definitely have grounds to fight it since i can't think of a reason they'd deny it other than "just because".
You could also play on the technicality that since they can't regulate flyover and only operation from within the park and try to operate from outside the park. The tunnel under rt.146 near the beach parking lot comes to mind as a spot that would get visibility to the pond.

According to your post containing the restrictions, model cars require the same permission.

Well the first email park management sent me acknowledged that I am allowed to fly in the park, they just thought it is safer to be in their field, not the water. They never explicitly said permission was required. They quoted me the rules and still said I was okay to fly in their field. Both parts of the staff seem to be leaning towards I can fly, they just want to ensure safety.

Now that I am at my computer, here is the full email they sent me:
"The rule you are inquiring about can be found here: http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs/fishwild/parkmgmt.pdf

Rule 3.3 states "Operation of sirens or any noise audible to a person of reasonable sensitive hearing at a distance of 200 feet from its source and other noise making devices or broadcast loud or raucous sounds or noises by use of an electrical amplifying system or sound track, is prohibited except by official written permission. Engine powered model airplanes, model boats, rockets and model cars shall be operated only upon receipt of official written permission from individual Park Facility Manager."

According to you email, you stated the staff member gave you the option of operating your drone in a different area. This is because staff feels that the field is a safer place for drone operation.

Please let me know if you have any further questions."

The email does quote the rules regarding getting written permission but never says that I should stop flying without permission or that I was in the wrong. My personal point of view is that they are looking in the interest of safety for others and not so much the prevention of me flying. I could be 100% wrong on that, but I will find out when they respond to me.

Dear Dg8882

We prohibit the use of drones/UAV's in our park as it affects the sleeping patterns of the fish. We have 2 reports of fish that have recently drowned in their sleep.

Yours Sincerely,
Mr S. B. Squarepants

I recently got kicked out too at my testing park. The signage had a picture of a commercial airline plane with a strike though it. I said to the park ranger, 'I thought it meant there was no airports here'. =)

haha wtf? A commercial airline pilot is going to see that sign and think "oh crap, I better change course and fly somewhere else"

What a stupid and pointless sign lol

Park rules are available at http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs/fishwild/parkmgmt.pdf
I live nearby, and while I haven't gone to Lincoln Woods to fly, it's a pretty crappy rule. I have been working on ways to test the DEM and get it overturned, but surprisingly have not had any park rangers give me any trouble. I have flown at a few other state parks, in plain view of a ranger and they didn't even make a point to get out of the truck to ask questions.

In general, the rule is aimed at curtailing loud noises and nuisances. The phantom would definitely fall under engine powered model aircraft. The rule also mentions being audible at 200 feet. An easy test is to fly straight up until you are 200 feet AGL indicated and see if the noise would rise to a nuisance level. Usually it does not- and I've been in situations where the music coming from people's cars (at Goddard) definitely surpasses that threshold.
The rule also states that you can get a written permission to operate. I believe that riparks.com has a permit application for "special use" and for photography, but no fees listed for either and they don't show up in the list of fees published. A photographer friend confirmed that the permit was free the last time he had to get one to shoot a wedding at a state park.
You can try to get a permit- and if you're denied then you definitely have grounds to fight it since i can't think of a reason they'd deny it other than "just because".
You could also play on the technicality that since they can't regulate flyover and only operation from within the park and try to operate from outside the park. The tunnel under rt.146 near the beach parking lot comes to mind as a spot that would get visibility to the pond.

Would the Phantom fall under 'engine powered aircraft'? I would have thought that would be referring to gas/nitro style engines that actually make noise. Not electric, which are silent (except for the props).

I think in this case the noise ordinance does apply, as the drone does have a constant hum to it. People out for a peaceful day at the park, would not want to hear the constant buzzing of a drone, as it would break up the peace of the park. Just my two cents.

I think in this case the noise ordinance does apply, as the drone does have a constant hum to it. People out for a peaceful day at the park, would not want to hear the constant buzzing of a drone, as it would break up the peace of the park. Just my two cents.

It could, but the lake I fly over is rather large and I fly at least 120 meters up so I doubt it would be an issue, people only notice it when I am landing or taking off, and they just look over to see what's going on, sometimes come and ask questions, how high, how far, etc. I've never had nasty looks or any bad comments from someone.
If people have a problem with noise, then they shouldn't be at this park to find quietness. Kids like to ride around the park with the base in their car turned up to max, and the place I take off is right next to the road.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31