key west florida

Reaction score
I would like to take my phantom on vacation to key west. just to get some low flying footage. what are the laws, and no fly zone for the airport? is there a map that i could look at.,

uav forcast

I would like to take my phantom on vacation to key west. just to get some low flying footage. what are the laws, and no fly zone for the airport? is there a map that i could look at.,

I went to the Keys in May. Brought my P3P with me. Stayed at my grandfathers house in Duck Key, less than 10 miles from the Marathon airport. Had no problems whatsoever.. i flew in to Key West airport, its tiny, all airports in the Keys are very small, and the the no-fly zones around them aren't that big. Definitely bring your drone. Florida Keys are beautiful, i had a blast flying there.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have the B4Ufly app will that be good enough? not looking for high altitude flights just want to get some footage of the campgrounds we will be at from the water side.

It would be wise to understand the boundaries that encompass the Great White Heron NWR also.

The "Request" is flights above these areas at 2000' AGL

Interpret the circular as you choose. Spend your vacation time as you chose.

Being interrogated by FAA and FWC and whatever other authorities probably wouldn't be 1 of MY choices :)

I was there last June and all that was needed was to call the Tower OR Airport Manager at Key West International Airport and advise them you would like to fly your drone; tell them WHO you are, WHERE you expect to be (e.g. "1 mile due West of the airport"), WHEN you would like to fly, and what you think your maximum altitude will be. They WILL permit it as long as there are no temporary restrictions at the time you want to fly, they will ask you to simply call ATC just before take-off and just after you land. It is very easy to do and you have close 100% chance of approval. To get the contact numbers you need, go to Key West on SKYVECTOR.COM, click on the green dot for that airport, then select "KEY WEST INTL (KEYW)". Virtually all of the island is a controlled airspace from the surface to 2500 feet. This will be great experience/confidence builder for you. Been there, Done that, Got the Teeshirt.

Oh, and local regs don't want you to fly at the parks, including Ft Zachary and the small Naval area there. Obviously, don't fly over people and obey the FAA rules of course. Happily, it appears you will not have to sign in to your DJI account to Unlock any airspace (don't know how they missed that one - isn't it supposed to be a yellow circle with a small red one inside? If true, that is great).

PS: If you do the above, you are probably in a small group - guessing 10% of flyers - who are doing this the right way.

PPS: On the off-chance you fly over the historic cemetery there, be sure to ask the caretaker first. He will tell you to keep the noise down so as not to wake anyone resting there. No joke.

ENJOY! Beautiful place.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.