Kestrel Vs Skywatch Windoo vs Others ?

Reaction score
Hi was interested in your thoughts on the best wind monitors I like the look of the Windoo as it is small and easy carried! Have you any experience or thoughts on which wind monitor is most accurate and best as a companion for your uav?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a Kestral but for use during Hurricane season.
I find it of no use for a quad.
Don't rely on a bag full of gizmos or apps for flying. Learn to judge by tree branches, waves on water surface, etc. Once you have had a few flights you'll know what your limits are.

I feel like they are a waste of money if being used to gauge wind speed before flight. The wind speed and wind direction change with altitude. Your overall best option is once you reach the height you are going to fly at, switch the R/C into A mode and allow the A/C to drift with the wind for about 10 seconds. As the A/C is drifting, monitor the rate of speed. This will show you the direction and speed at the desired altitude. There will also be days where you can climb another 50ft altitude and find the direction changed as well as the wind speed.

Also the higher you go up the less wind gust. The wind becomes more constant the closer you get to the jet stream.

Reactions: N017RW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues