Kentucky man arrested for shooting down drone

In your last post
You said....
"then just overflying your property below 500 ft is perfectly legal and not trespass. Regulated airspace begins as soon as you leave the ground. Not 500 ft."

Please review the following....
14 CFR 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes

You disagreed with my assertion citing U.S. vs. Causby, which doesn't disagree with my simple statement...then supported my assertion that homeowners do have some recourse regarding the airspace above their property.

Everyone has an opinion. Including Steve and that's fine. Noone is always right....not JKD, not Steve.

You seem to assert that your opinions (backed by "your" evidence) provide fact. That's a common mistake. http://www.angriesout.com/right.htm

Do you need FAA or Federal government permission to add an antenna to your rooftop or build a taller storage shed on your property...or add a second floor? Would you fear the government's legal action if you did any of these even though they may extend further into the airspace above your property?

My assertion is there is a gray area....yours seems to be there is not.
I say property owners do have some legal recourse in some situations involving activity directly over their property according to current law and their apparent enforcement.

If a news station hovers a helicopter over your home and disturbs your peace on an ongoing basis, you can ask for relief through local courts.

The beauty of forums is we get so many differing views.

I really liked the post I quoted which had the facts, and the posts about the Bikinis.

The other stuff is in the realm of "What If", if you ask me. I have a bit of a problem with spending a bunch of time on the "What If" stuff.

Unless I am in a position to affect the end result or effect change in the process, it seems like pissing in the wind.

So, how can we address these issues?
Make it simple if you've got a serious idea for those of us here in the US.

I am not trying to hijack the OP's thread, so perhaps someone would like to start a thread on how to "efficiently" proceed from this point forward.
Anyone know how I/WE can do that?

first of all, the shooter's actions was based on the context of trying to protect their right to privacy. There are several states in the U.S. that has prviacy laws all in the context of "reasonable" respect of ,privacy. In factt here in FL, Gov. Scott has just signed to law regarding drones with respect to a person's or individual privacy. But look at the situation here. Was there reasonable violation of privacy in this case? A quadcopater flying at approximately 190 -200+ feet and with its current camera payload, do you really think would it be able to discern and violate anyone's privacy. Folks to see the comparison of what a Phantom can see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76P2Zr0yG_0 . At that altitude can you really discern a person sunbathing? The regulations here in the U.S. is quite liberal and not to hard to follow. http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/for-recreational-users/

I like getting some good evening videos of the sunset and city lights where I live. My M.O. is to take off from my lawn and climb to at least 200' before heading away and cruise around 400'. I've only had one incident--the very first evening flight of the P3. Some Russian woman accused me of being a spy.

There is a guy at the end of my block with a P3 who I saw flying very low around the area. Other neighbors saw him as well and thought it was me. That IMHO is not cool. Don't see him anymore as he probably crashed it.

I like getting some good evening videos of the sunset and city lights where I live. My M.O. is to take off from my lawn and climb to at least 200' before heading away and cruise around 400'. I've only had one incident--the very first evening flight of the P3. Some Russian woman accused me of being a spy.

There is a guy at the end of my block with a P3 who I saw flying very low around the area. Other neighbors saw him as well and thought it was me. That IMHO is not cool. Don't see him anymore as he probably crashed it.
Drone people huh? We all look alike

Last edited:
Do you need FAA or Federal government permission to add an antenna to your rooftop or build a taller storage shed on your property...or add a second floor?
In some cases, yes. Yes you do.

Humm....
Some thoughts here:
- Whats the difference between a drone, and a paparazi? Will we he be shooted too?
- Was the drone flying on is propriety? Also, was we filming his pool or whatever?
- If so, did the images appear somewhere on the net?

Were in my country, guns are forbidden and the law to have them is very strictive!

My opinion: Again, another "cowbow" way of doing things....

Doesn`t surprise me if the drone guy as revenge enter his propriety and start killing everybody or something like that....

Violence its never the solution.

A smart person would just find the drone user and ask polity to erase the video/photos. Who knows, maybe them could figure out that was all a big confusion....:rolleyes:

correct, but if the homeowner is telling the truth, the drone hung out above the house/pool for a more than briefly.

my deductive reasoning tells me teenager looking at teenage girl by the pool with FPV.

however, i could be wrong. it's happened once or twice to me :p
According to the testimony of the drone pilot, he was 272' away and had been hovering the drone for well over a minute. At that distance it's very unlikely he was looking at anything but horizon.

According to the testimony of the drone pilot, he was 272' away and had been hovering the drone for well over a minute. At that distance it's very unlikely he was looking at anything but horizon.

and i posted another opinion after the testimony of the pilot.

guess you missed that...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl