Kangaroos in 3D

Reaction score
Was out flying and saw some kangaroos so I flew in for a closer look with my phantom 3D setup.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYLpqH3SM4w[/youtube]

Haha, you beat me too it . . .

I had a few ideas on where to get some video of some roo's, then my car was stolen and that has been taking up my time lately (since recovered, but as yet, unusable :( ) hopefully next weekend I'll be back in the sky's.

Glad you got your car back, hope not too much damage was done mate. When I saw the roos out at the end of the field I had to go in and take a look. The first one I thought was going to have a go at knocking the phantom out of the sky, I would have liked to follow them into the trees a bit but I was already about 400m away and last thing I wanted was to clip a branch go down and then let them have their way with it.

Shame the light was poor and it was a little breezy, I needed to use some software stabilization on the footage. Mostly as an experiment as there is no way to use stabilization info from one clip and also force it onto a second clip. I am quite surprised that the stabilizer pretty much did exactly the same thing with both sides and it worked ok. I cant believe how lame that song sounds but I had to use it :lol:

martcerv said:
Glad you got your car back, hope not too much damage was done mate. When I saw the roos out at the end of the field I had to go in and take a look. The first one I thought was going to have a go at knocking the phantom out of the sky, I would have liked to follow them into the trees a bit but I was already about 400m away and last thing I wanted was to clip a branch go down and then let them have their way with it.

Shame the light was poor and it was a little breezy, I needed to use some software stabilization on the footage. Mostly as an experiment as there is no way to use stabilization info from one clip and also force it onto a second clip. I am quite surprised that the stabilizer pretty much did exactly the same thing with both sides and it worked ok. I cant believe how lame that song sounds but I had to use it :lol:

What are you using for stabilisation? ProDad is pushing ProDrenalin heavily for the GoPro, so they may be open to the suggestion to match stabilisation and other settings for a pair of clips.

I use Adobe Warp Stabilizer it comes with Premiere pro cs5.5 or later. I dont use it that often but it does an ok job and I was surprised that it handled 2 clips so consistently, even though they are basically the same image shot with 2 cameras side by side I expected it to have more issues.

Here is how I mount it.

tbiz.jpg

Its basically just some flat carbon fiber pieces attached to the GoPro's with 3M dual lock tape. This is so that I can get the camera alignment as close as possible and will lock them together as one, I have a piece under and behind that locks onto them. I then also use more 3M dual lock tape to mount this onto the Anti Jello mount and I use some more tape, rubber bands and velcro to keep this on securely with a few revisions along the way. First objective was camera alignment and spacing tests then to work on the other bits.

My first few tests I had a bit of slack in the way it was mounted allowing the cameras to rock forwards and backwards which caused some jello issues. I since made sure it is on in a way that doesnt allow them to move at all relative to the jello mount base and it has been very smooth. Weather has just turned to crap and so I havent flown it much since but the few quick flights were much better and this was one of them but it was already getting pretty dark.

I've got a Samsung 3D Smart TV. Anyone know how I can watch this in 3D? Does the Samsung YouTube app support 3D video?

mroberts said:
I've got a Samsung 3D Smart TV. Anyone know how I can watch this in 3D? Does the Samsung YouTube app support 3D video?

Yep! Well should do anyways!

I have a LG smart 3d aswell, for me I just opened the YouTube "app" in the menu and search for the video . . . . The TV should detect a 3d image and adjust the playback to suit :). Just be ready with your glasses :)

mroberts said:

If your TV can play youtube 3D it should play this as its in proper yt 3D format. I have even uploaded all my recent 3D videos in full size side by side format so 3840x1080p rather then the more traditional way of uploading in a 1920x1080p frame which you need to have either half height or half width so it should have better image quality at full screen this way.

Im still learning how to edit 3D properly with the black edition as the way I used to do it within Cineform and the gopro 3d setup was quite different. I now do all the image alignment and separation manually within premiere. At first I thought this was a very awkward way to do it but now that I have kind of got a handle on it this way it works quite well almost better.

Here are a couple other 3D videos I shot last weekend but no phantom this time. I was tempted to bring it out and chase the boat around the bay but it was forecast to possibly rain and I could see it ending in tears or at least down a phantom and 2 gopro blacks. :eek:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AvkfmNiJzg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TgtamLHRnE[/youtube]

On the next nice day I will bring it out and chase the boat around, not sure about launching from a small boat so I may need to hand launch also which I haven't done before. Catching it on the way back is no issue and if worst comes to worst we will be diving so can easily do a recovery if needed. :lol:

It works!! Spent half an hour last night watching 3D YouTube videos! Unfortunately I didn't find any of yours - I'll have to have a harder look. It doesn't seem like the YouTube app has a good way of letting you search explicitly for 3D vids.

By the way, I hate you. Now I want a second Hero2 and the 3D case!

A couple of questions on your setup:

1) Why aren't you using the GoPro setup? Was it too heavy?
2) Are you manually frame-syncing the two videos, or do you stsill use the GoPro cable?
3) Do you know if it would work to use a Hero3 White side-by-side with a Hero2?

Sorry :lol:

1. The GoPro setup only works with hero1 and 2 cams plus it would be too heavy to fly on a phantom I think as the hero2 cams are nearly twice the weight of a hero3 camera and the housing is heavier then the cameras. It does have the advantage of having a sync cable though and also you can easily work the footage with cineform using the pretty good tools for 3D.

2. Manually syncing frames as the cable doesnt work with the H3 cams, my sync method is pretty simple. I press both shutters at the same time this tends to get me within 1 or 2 frames sync wise, I tried the WiFi remote but it is pretty poor starting between 15 and 30 frames apart.

I then also shoot either my FPV video feed with gopro OSD on it and then sync to the frame where the time changes. I sometimes use the stopwatch function on my phone or simply get a torch and turn it on infront of the cams then sync to the frame where the light goes on. This will get me within the nearest frame, then for final sync I load both sides in premier pro and overlay the images. I align them as close as possible then go through them frame by frame to make sure motion is synced properly. Sometimes I may need to move them 1 frame forward or back to get the closest possible sync, at first I thought this was a fairly painful way of doing it but now I can get close to perfect sync and image alignment in premiere pro within a minute or so.

3. It should be possible as hero2 and hero3 silver are sharing most of the same internals, the main issue may be mounting them as the lenses have moved a little in the hero3's compared to hero2's which is why they dont fit in each others housings. Ideally you want 2 of the same cameras with the same lenses but though it may take more work in setup and post it should be possible assuming the lenses give the same image. If one is slightly more fish eyed then the other it really wont work and I haven't got any hero 1 or 2 cams on me atm to see how the images compare.

Editing them into 3D is a bit tricky if you do it manually like I do, I need to get both images overlayed and after syncing the frames I make the right video which is on the top layer 50% opaque. This lets me move it along inside premiere using the frame pivot points. I can move it vertically, horizontally or even rotate if needed and first I try and make sure they are lined up close to perfect. Then I move the right image a little to the right to add some 3d seperation, I didnt do this at the start but it makes the 3d effect a little too subtle if you have very little seperation. I then move both sides to the center of each frame and will need to zoom to ensure that they both fill the frame as I have moved the center of one side. Once they are both side by side and zoomed to fill the frame I will crop one side to make sure they join perfectly in the center of the frame.

Its possible to do this with different cams or FOV's if the lenses work in the same way so the fisheye distortion in gopro's must be the same on both sides. Here is an example lining up a 2.7k30 and 1440p30 clip using this method.

wf01.jpg

As can be seen they are quite different FOV's and so I had to move and zoom one side to match the other, this will take more time but is still doable. The easiest way to avoid extra work is to have matching cameras mounted as close to perfectly aligned as possible to give the least amount of work needed to align the 2 images. I did the an early experiment of my method using some old hero2 footage with some sharks that I shot using 6 hero 2's :lol: when doing some filter tests a while back. This I never intended to make into 3d and so the cams were only very roughly aligned but it was possible to get pretty decent frame sync still. They were a fair way out so I needed a fair bit of zoom and crop, also as the light was crap and quite deep the images weren't that great and the 2 sides don't match too well even after playing with them in post. Hero2 cams in deep water using auto white balance struggle quite a bit and unfortunately that was the main thing that came out of the filter tests as the weather and vis turned pretty crap for most of those dives.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izI-Q9mLbLk[/youtube]

I have an idea for hero3 cams to make the cameras very easy to align and have designed something with some friends making a prototype of it for me. This would help the lenses to be lined up perfectly each time so it will save time in post and also reduce cropping and zooming of the images as much as possible. Not sure if it will ever become a commercial product as its just something I am trying out seeing as GoPro never made a proper housing for the h3 in 3d. 3D is quite a niche and as editing it is not the easiest thing it would be a very niche product within a small niche. If cineform studio allowed easy ways of manually re syncing frames then editing would be 100 times easier then my current method. There are some plugins and other software that also does most of the work for you but once I figured out the manual method its worked good enough for me.

Hmm, sounds like given that I've got a Hero2 it would be easier to go the "proper" GoPro route. I reckon the Phantom would handle the whole shebang, but most likely not with a gimbal :(

The cost of setting up with all the SW versus being able to use Cineform probably outweighs the cost of the 3D housing!

Got any cheap Hero2's you want to sell :)

All my hero 2's are out on holidays with friends and family, maybe I should have sold them but this way I can always get them back if I ever need them or at least I think I can. I only have 2 of each camera hero2's, 1's and 3 blacks mostly because I was always into 3D but never did that much with the blacks as I was waiting for gopro to enable the sync cable make a housing. The 6 camera test was using a few more from a friend of mine who has quite a few of them for work, I didnt want to kill any as I would have had to buy them so it was a bit risky sticking 6 of them in front of the sharks.

I just weighed my hero1/2 3d housing, its a modified one for underwater with 2 flat lenses so may not be exactly the same as a stock standard one but with sync cable and housing on its own its 178g. Not sure the weight of a hero 2 cam but a hero3 black weighs 78g and 2 of these in my DIY 3D setup are 200g then I also have my anti jello mount so about 370g for my 2x h3b setup. If I was to use 2 x hero2 cams in the housing it would be at least double the weight I think and so could likely push a phantom setup well over 1.4kg which is a bit too heavy I think. You would be best of using the 2 cams naked with some DIY mount and a sync cable.

The one thing I didnt like about the gopro 3d housing is how they have them mounted up and down, testing the seperation distances I find having them both upright works better for everything outside of a few feet away. And when on a quad your not going to shoot objects that close unless you crash into them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20