K index now showing 4

Reaction score
So no more flying for me until it comes down. After midnight here. Lol

IrishSights said:
So no more flying for me until it comes down. After midnight here. Lol

I don't think 4 is much of a concern. I won't hesitate to fly on a 4 at midday (sun position has much to do with overall influence). Never seen anything result from it. Impact at night is minimal other than some good light shows in the polar areas.

6 or 7 could have impact on GPS but since the Phantom is only concerned with relative position and the EMI changes are not very sudden, you probably still won't see much. And if you do, there's ATTI.

I now never fly if the K index is 4 or above.
A friend had a nasty experience with his TBS quad on a day when the K index was showing a 4. He normally checks every time he takes it out but didn't on this particular day.

We call it Irish mist. US translation = rain (fine)!

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Just to clarify why a 4 is not a big deal:

Below the poles, a K index of 4 will give you mild ionospheric delay which changes slowly over minutes and hours. If you were to plot an absolute GPS position during a K index 4 event, you would likely see horizontal loss of precision increase by an average of 2 - 3 meters and it might shift a little more quickly than your regular ionospheric drift.

But, this will have very limited impact on relative positioning during a flight lasting less than 20 minutes. So unless you're trying to drop a photon torpedo into the ventilation shaft of the Death Star, I think you'll be OK at 4.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4