K-Index is high tonight

Reaction score
Just a quick note for gps flight, k-index really high, it's a bad idea to fly with gps tonight....

jyvy6unu.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. Some people say that this geomagnetic activity does not effect flight, but I have experienced anomalies when activity is present.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

I can confirm..took about 5 minutes to establish 6 satties on my first flight tonight. after that, they established fairly quickly for some reason.

Dozer said:
Thanks for sharing. Some people say that this geomagnetic activity does not effect flight, but I have experienced anomalies when activity is present.

It's not the geomagnetic activity itself - it's that the GPS timing signals from the satellites are affected by their passage through the expanded auroral oval, degrading the spatial accuracy.

sar104 said:
Dozer said:

It's not the geomagnetic activity itself - it's that the GPS timing signals from the satellites are affected by their passage through the expanded auroral oval, degrading the spatial accuracy.

yeah..what he said..lol..

Solar energetic particle events such as this solar storm cause geomagnetically induced currents, ionospheric disturbances which cause radio and radar scintillation and disruption of navigation by magnetic compass. GPS timing signals can be also effected, correct. As far as spatial accuracy, well, we're using hobby grade devices without having GLONASS backup, so again, correct.

EliasD said:
Curious as to where you guys got those apps/programs? Or are they on websites?

They look interesting & I can use them for reasons other than flying.

I posted this on another thread, I like to combine the two pieces of info,
before making a decision about flying, the one the OP put up,
was indeed a factor that stopped me flying last night!

try this web site,

http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/

I have found there is a window of around 1 to 2 hours when, in my part of the world (Portugal)
I will only have 5 sats.

Also, my theory is, IF the K-Index is high as well, then even if you have, say, 7 sats,
the solar activity could knock that count down.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/kp_3d.html

Only my theory so far, but been checking the results from the satellite predictor against my TomTom 1,
and I now trust the programme, so adjust my flying times around that.

Note: I have just motored the satellite predictor forward by 2 months and the "bad window" came forward to midday, so I wil be able to fly at dusk, (when the dreaded wind drops)

Hope this helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers