K-Index alert

Does the K-index really make a difference? Has anyone ever had a situation where they attribute control loss or GPS lock issues to K index?

sbarton said:
What is K-Index?

The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field with an integer in the range 0-9 with 1 being calm and 5 or more indicating a geomagnetic storm, we are currently at 5, will affect the accuracy of GPS sats.

Skyjunkie said:
Does the K-index really make a difference? Has anyone ever had a situation where they attribute control loss or GPS lock issues to K index?

I don't really know the answer to that, are you offering to fly now and report back to us?

and still climbing!

Attachments

• kindex.JPG
    kindex.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 388
I live in the US and flew 2200 feet at 400 ft altitude with antennae mods on RC and Phantom with no problems. I had no problems with video feed and no problems with the control. I was not trying to be difficult or be sarcastic in my question. I honestly don't know how much the K-index concern is real or theoretical. Maybe it's only a concern for people who are trying for records or people who are flying w/o GPS. In my reading of it, it sounds like it COULD be an issue. But I don't think it is DEFINITELY an issue.

Just trying to learn from the ones that know more...

I flew twice around 7pm in NJ. Furthest was 4000' clear LOS. No issues. From reading, a K Index of 5 is Geostorm1 or G1. Maybe a higher G or K rating might effect it.

Also the closest station to me is Fredericksburg VA. Which had a max K index of 4. Where is College station?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31