Justice weighs in on drones

damoncooper said:
Wow, frightening how uninformed she is.

Frightening how many hobbyists have zero foresight and seem to be stuck in 2014, unable to look even a year or two into the future, and ignorant to the technology that is already out there even in 2014.

Stuff like Flir cameras and parabolic microphones have been out there for years already, with good range, good capabilities. And I don't even follow this stuff to see what is best or how quickly it is progressing.

"I don’t know…can pick up, if they’re a private citizen, one of these drones and fly it over my property"

And I hope the honorable Justice has the same stance when a case arrives before her that involves the government overstepping that same boundry or she simply looks to be keeping the technology soley in their court. FLIR is fairly useless, it can't see through walls only smoke and darkness. Not sure how effective the long distance microphone would be attached to the bottom of my noisy phantom. These aren't the kinds of things that just "anybody" will buy. Very alarmist IMHO.

azsean said:
"I don’t know…can pick up, if they’re a private citizen, one of these drones and fly it over my property"

And I hope the honorable Justice has the same stance when a case arrives before her that involves the government overstepping that same boundry or she simply looks to be keeping the technology soley in their court. FLIR is fairly useless, it can't see through walls only smoke and darkness. Not sure how effective the long distance microphone would be attached to the bottom of my noisy phantom. These aren't the kinds of things that just "anybody" will buy. Very alarmist IMHO.

Different rules apply to private citizens versus governments. This should be obvious. On top of that, different rules apply to public figures, etc. Not everyone has the same right to privacy/etc.

Whatever costs $20,000 today is going to cost $1000 one day - and be better than the 20K product of today.

Supreme Court is not here to bicker about current Phantom 2 specs, flir camera specs, and microphone mounting tips and tricks. It doesn't matter. The issues matter. The current specs don't.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The scariest part of this is that she has the power to "legislate" from the bench. All it takes is one or two cases and our hobby could get banned completely. The NPS has already instituted draconian zero tolerance fines and even imprisonment for flying in one of the areas a lot of us really want to fly, video and photograph in. How long before a few more agencies including federal, state and local governments say "no fly" to drones and RC's in order "protect" the privacy and safety of people and their property? We need to get our voices heard before it's too late. Don't expect any common sense to prevail. Common sense does not exist in government. Don't rely on capatilism to save us either, because most of the profit here is going to China, sure there are a bunch of resellers that have added this to their business, but unfortunately our current leadership climate is not favorable for small businesses and prefers government oversight and agencies to free market economies. Ok, now stepping down from that soapbox.

Reactions: John N Kronyak
witold said:
damoncooper said:
Wow, frightening how uninformed she is.

Frightening how many hobbyists have zero foresight and seem to be stuck in 2014, unable to look even a year or two into the future, and ignorant to the technology that is already out there even in 2014.

Stuff like Flir cameras and parabolic microphones have been out there for years already, with good range, good capabilities. And I don't even follow this stuff to see what is best or how quickly it is progressing.

You can use that stuff now without putting it in the air. Irrelevant.

There are so many people griping about privacy and then they share every minute of their life on Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr. They sign up for these services, credit cards, and special offers without realizing by doing so they give up huge chunks of their privacy. They are tracked going from website to website where everything they click on and view is stored in a database. Everyday when they walk or drive around they are being recorded by dozens of video cameras. Unless you're living off of the grid, privacy in today's society is a myth.

IMHO, it is because so many people are claiming specialized individual rights for every single little thing that the USA has become a fractured society. There is too much importance on "self" and not society. So maybe, just maybe, if private citizens have access to this technology it will make more people aware that somebody might be watching and they should do the right and moral thing instead of doing as they see fit at that moment. Having a community watching and being aware is more powerful than the government watching and being aware.

That being said, I think that there should be some restrictions and requirements to own and operate these types of aircraft. Things like RFID, minimum licensing and training requirements, and prohibiting convicted felons from operating them come to mind. Yes, these are lip service requirements and can be easily defeated. But implementing them should help quell the fears of the privacy crowd.

Koz said:
There are so many people griping about privacy and then they share every minute of their life on Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr. They sign up for these services, credit cards, and special offers without realizing by doing so they give up huge chunks of their privacy. They are tracked going from website to website where everything they click on and view is stored in a database. Everyday when they walk or drive around they are being recorded by dozens of video cameras. Unless you're living off of the grid, privacy in today's society is a myth.

Actually, most people DO realize they give up some of their privacy in exchange for using these services.

And they have a choice to use these products or not use them. Sometimes they choose to give up some privacy for a product, and sometimes they choose not to.

And as a society, we gave government permission to play under different rules... and give continued permission with our votes.

THE DIFFERENCE HERE is that your neighbor is not the government and they didn't get your permission to hover over your house and use high tech cameras to do whatever he is doing. No one gave him the rights to intrude on your privacy without asking.

All this is, is political opportunism, caching in on the media hype.
Throw all the bums out, never elect an incumbent. Term limits everywhere.

IMHO, it is because so many people are claiming specialized individual rights for every single little thing that the USA has become a fractured society. There is too much importance on "self" and not society. So maybe, just maybe, if private citizens have access to this technology it will make more people aware that somebody might be watching and they should do the right and moral thing instead of doing as they see fit at that moment. Having a community watching and being aware is more powerful than the government watching and being aware.

That being said, I think that there should be some restrictions and requirements to own and operate these types of aircraft. Things like RFID, minimum licensing and training requirements, and prohibiting convicted felons from operating them come to mind. Yes, these are lip service requirements and can be easily defeated. But implementing them should help quell the fears of the privacy crowd.
Why would a convicted felon be prohibited? People with your mentality are a danger to everyone. Training? These quads are toys compared to what's buzzing around above. Guess kids on bicycles will be the next ones required to be trained. I can't believe the crap that comes out of some minds. Sorry.

Actually, most people DO realize they give up some of their privacy in exchange for using these services.

And they have a choice to use these products or not use them. Sometimes they choose to give up some privacy for a product, and sometimes they choose not to.

And as a society, we gave government permission to play under different rules... and give continued permission with our votes.

THE DIFFERENCE HERE is that your neighbor is not the government and they didn't get your permission to hover over your house and use high tech cameras to do whatever he is doing. No one gave him the rights to intrude on your privacy without asking.
At what altitude AGL is privacy compromised? I have commuter aircraft flying above my home all the time. I'm sure the Smartphones are clicking away.

Another uninformed politician raising the alarm to the public. That is more scary than the media because politicians drum up support for their ignorance and create nonsense laws later. I have not seen any comments from an informed politician. Tell me that there isnt actually a politician out there that can actually shed some truth on this topic and not spread fear and alarms:rolleyes:

At what altitude AGL is privacy compromised? I have commuter aircraft flying above my home all the time. I'm sure the Smartphones are clicking away.
Another uninformed politician raising the alarm to the public.
It was another more than one year old thread that JK keeps responding to.
John ... look at the dates of the antique threads before joining in the discussion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.