Just what we needed to help the lobby...

It was only a matter of time really but that idea is, i'm sure, nothing new. I mean lets face it RC planes have been around for a LONG time and capable of large payloads.

The only effective political way to stop this from happening will be deemed as an out and out ban on them e.g sale, purchase, manufacture, home creation etc etc (same as guns). What will that achieve? 5-10 years time the authorities will assume the new law is working and spend less on prevention and then someone builds their own as per the article and 'pop' same problem as before. Add onto that a big economic GDP drop due to the loss of commerce from banning such a popular hobby.

I am sure there are brains far more sensible than those building such weapons who know how to counter them. Lets face it if DJi states that WiFi from the Hero3 'can' throw off a Phantom it doesn't take much to build a 'jammer' for them. Governments can the license them and make money from the threat.

Nothing that has not been said before I am sure but I do agree it is a real shame to see things like this.... and i'm only really an infant on this hobby so I dread to think how sick it makes long term RC pilots.

I agree - RC planes have been around for decades and this has not happened. However, today, it is easier. You would not have to see the target because it could just be programmed with GPS. And, we now have FPV to also make it easier.

But, a ban would not stop it, just like gun control. It would only effect those who obey the law - not the terrorists.

Audaciter said:
All you have to do is watch this Youtube video, to see the devious ways some people's minds work, and gives good reason
for people to fear the capabilities of drones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU
Just an FYI... that video is fake. Shooting is real, but not from the drone. With most of the clips in the video, the drone is an animation.

Not worry so much about a wide ban, but more about public opinion and individual bans. Paranoia is already rampant but I have faith in humanity (Pressure cookers have not been banned yet). You will always have idiotic useless lawmakers trying to appear relevant and as if they had a purpose (Think congress representatives trying to ban French Fries a few years back). They will create controversy and that is what bothers me. It would not be fair to create laws that take all the fun out or stop legitimate business purposes.

I am all about regulations actually. As a caring, careful, considered and safe operator, I would welcome some regulations, because the grey area is actually more impeding. But they need to be considered with a clear mind and not based out of reaction to fear.

Without clear legal guidelines, it is up to anyone to interpret what is permissible or not. What if your mayor is swayed into thinking that a GoPro equipped Quadcopter's only purpose is to spy on your neighbor? City wide ban! What if your park warden saw someone flying a Phantom over people and crashed near them and decides to ban them? There is no appeal if there is no law.

What if the news outlets keep associating the current and dominating negative hot topics all together (Drone+Privacy+Terrorists+Danger). Then, you're just 1 mash-up away from people seeing you as a bad person and it makes it very hard to do anything.

I agree, RC planes, etc. have been around for a while, but we now have a lot more people doing it, as the technology is more advanced and affordable. This means a greater chance for something stupid to happen and also a lot more exposure.

The thing is even if you ban them it has jo effect on people doing things that are illegal anyway. Do you think some terrorist or CIA agent (usually the same people lol) is going to think twice if its legal or not to use their vehicle of choice for such purpose?

The bomb they are using isnt bought at hobby king either and I am pretty sure it is illegal so how would banning everyone else from rc aircraft stop any such act. They will just get the rc plane elsewhere or make their own along with everything else as its all illegal already and they couldnt care if owning the rc plane is legal or not. Sure if they were all illegal it would raise more suspicion once in flight but they could launch and hit a target in seconds way before anyone could react so banning anything from regular users because a terrorist has or may use it is just stupid and achieve's nothing but ruin many peoples enjoyment and do nothing towards making anything safer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj