Just tried my first flight with way points

My reasoning more ominous. You have to fly over the path once first so that the aircraft actually flies over the area. Imagine if terrorist can just plot a route on ground and attach an explosive on the drone. The moment they take off from ground the drone will fly to the target and they can run away at the same time.

Flying over the target once as a "record" probably serves as an early warning. Kinda stupid reason but I guess safety is a large concern of dji.
Arggghhh. I was typing while you were posting. We agree.

Reactions: Garrie
Haven't installed it yet. The fly-first method could work for setting up the perfect shots with camera angle, panning etc, should that be part of the functionality. Avoiding obstacles might not work, as unexperienced user could fly a curve to set another waypoint behind an obstacle, just to find out, not the whole flight pass has been recorded, but just the waypoints, connected by straight lines...... at least at the moment that is my understanding how JDI way points work. As soon I have time to upgrade I will check things out. I have a feeling Litchi might become of interest for me to augment my options.

Ah lads enough with the bombs being strapped to a phantom! That's just crazy paranoia, a car or truck can hold 1000 times the amount of explosives. It's so the phantom doesn't hit a building or tree. 500m distance for way points, sure a terrorist could fly with a bomb from a few miles away manually with a HD view of their target. Don't be so stupid and stop saying drama queen stuff

Ah lads enough with the bombs being strapped to a phantom! That's just crazy paranoia, a car or truck can hold 1000 times the amount of explosives. It's so the phantom doesn't hit a building or tree. 500m distance for way points, sure a terrorist could fly with a bomb from a few miles away manually with a HD view of their target. Don't be so stupid and stop saying drama queen stuff
U don't need a big bomb or a big truck. Heck, you don't even need to kill anyone. But if u can get an explosive, no matter how small, close enough to an important building or a person and detonate it, it would cause mass panic and fear.

You might think it's dramatic and over-reacting, but this is what terrorists thrives on, our belief that everything is fine and dandy.

If today a drone flew into a school and detonated a small explosive, even if no one is killed or nothing serious is damaged, would you open the school the next day and resume it as per normal?

Just imagine the fall out from one small event. Now imagine ten or 50 drones on auto pilot with small bombs all flying to the same important location.

Reactions: StumbleBee
Perhaps it's really supposed to be "cable cam" to compete with Solo but DJI called it "waypoints"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree with Volkhard. As was explained to me, it allows a person to set up the right angles, height, etc for each waypoint and then have smooth flight to each area. Yes, it's not very practical but in many ways its better then prior waypoint flight. Before, yu could not control the flight at all. The Phantom just flew straight to each waypoint. Now you can adjust the angle and flight to each waypoint.

Last edited:
U don't need a big bomb or a big truck. Heck, you don't even need to kill anyone. But if u can get an explosive, no matter how small, close enough to an important building or a person and detonate it, it would cause mass panic and fear.

You might think it's dramatic and over-reacting, but this is what terrorists thrives on, our belief that everything is fine and dandy.

If today a drone flew into a school and detonated a small explosive, even if no one is killed or nothing serious is damaged, would you open the school the next day and resume it as per normal?

Just imagine the fall out from one small event. Now imagine ten or 50 drones on auto pilot with small bombs all flying to the same important location.
A suicide bomber would be more terrifying and effective. To say dji made the changes to way points because of bombs is just lunatic talk. Sure all they'd need to do is use a p2v instead

Sounds VERY dramatic but also very possibly real as well. It's a crazy world these days.
I think DJI's reason is much simpler though. I think their lawyers dictated the waypoint methods to direct responsibility to the end user and hold off lawsuits.

I agree .... I don't know when it happened exactly that so many humans are transfixed on terror, but I suspect TV and movies are keeping that flame lit ....

To program waypoints from the ground you can use the flight sim and record your flight there. There is no real editing other than delete a waypoint. Also the HEAD TO does not keep when you save a waypoint. Seems beta tester did not report to DJI or DJI did not listen.

Why would anyone need more than 640K of memory in their computer?! :D
I don't see the comparison. I think you're arguing "want" vs. "need".
For instance .... Shadows move 1-inch every 2-minutes. So Waypoint #16 probably wont look anything like it did 15 minutes earlier.
My clients like tight shots straight to the plan.

Hopefully just a first version that will be improved.........soon. Until then might want to think about
DJI Ultimate Flight but you need an Android device. Far too much fear of terrorism by some here. Far better/bigger products for delivery than a Phantom 3.

I don't see the comparison. I think you're arguing "want" vs. "need".
For instance .... Shadows move 1-inch every 2-minutes. So Waypoint #16 probably wont look anything like it did 15 minutes earlier.
My clients like tight shots straight to the plan.
I was comparing your arbitrary statement that no one should need more than 3 way points. That was not the issue. We should be able to set as many as we want to.

Reactions: hot dog
Unfortunately it appears that they have taken a step backwards. I can't really think of a use for the feature as implemented for me. But there are 3rd party apps that support a more useful waypoint programming mode. I'm pretty amazed that DJI released it this way. I thought the vision app was crippled with a limit of 16 waypoints, but at least you could program them in advance from the ground. The P3 version is worthless to me.

I may have ONE use: I want to record a couple of flight paths and then reproduce them at varying points of the year ... spring, summer, fall, snowy stupidly cold winter, etc. At least it sounds like a good idea at the moment ...

I agree .... I don't know when it happened exactly that so many humans are transfixed on terror, but I suspect TV and movies are keeping that flame lit ....

Don't forget FOX news. I had the misfortune of watching it the other day and was STUNNED by the amount of fear and loathing whipped up in less than 30 minutes. omg. Give me BBC any day.

Reactions: bobomet
I was comparing your arbitrary statement that no one should need more than 3 way points. That was not the issue. We should be able to set as many as we want to.
Nothing arbitrary about it ..... it was well thought out. I never found utility in lots of waypoints as a photographer, but I understand that these birds are also used by recreational flyers .....

To program waypoints from the ground you can use the flight sim and record your flight there. There is no real editing other than delete a waypoint. Also the HEAD TO does not keep when you save a waypoint. Seems beta tester did not report to DJI or DJI did not listen.

The waypoint mode would not be a 1/4 of what it has it not been for the test team. We threw everything we had at it and got almost all that was asked except the main one. We brought up at least 20 good reasons why it would not be a good idea to publish it as it is. I will say that it seems like the more times you use it, it does seem to become a little more understandable. I got them to add adjustable pause time at each waypoint. Prior to that the aircraft would just blow right through each waypoint as if there was no waypoint.

Reactions: bobomet
You don't know how Amazing/Awesome Litchi app is untill you try DJI's sorry pathetic attempt at waypoints/poi.... What a fail.....

You don't know how Amazing/Awesome Litchi app is untill you try DJI's sorry pathetic attempt at waypoints/poi.... What a fail.....

Ios here. Can't come fast enough for me ... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl