Just Starting out...Standard or Advanced?

Reaction score
I'm new and just entering this drone/quadcopter right now as a hobby. I know I want a Phantom based on research I have been doing. Looking for advice/perspectives on starting with a P3 Standard or a P3 Advanced.

What are you planning on doing with your Phantom?

Flying recreationally at first for sure. Amateur video and pictures at the lake that I live on. I want to get into the videography more seriously later. Probably join a local flying group as I get experience in flying these things

I would get as much of a quad as you can comfortably afford now. I would not expect being welcomed by many flying clubs, they are a different breed.

do you see any advantages of starting with one vs the other?
The standard is definitely adequate, you will not be let down. Although, the lightbridge is something I wish I had. I would probably jump to the advanced if I could, the 5km range and 1080P with 60 FPS makes a huge difference. Both of them are pretty similar flights though, so starting off with either doesn't really have any advantages or disadvantages.

Will be learning to fly. Does one offer any advantages in that respect? In other words would you say they learning curve is more difficult for one vs the other?

I bought the Advanced before we all knew that the light bridge was of a lesser quality then the Pro. I like the Advanced a lot and it is perfect for my YouTube video's but now after having done tons of research and buying the Advanced, I really like the difference in the 4K video on the Pro when watching in person here at home. Basically I will always buy the best but in this case DJI hadn't revealed that there was more of a difference then just the camera. So for the best light bridge, camera and FPV ability, I would only buy the Pro because you are getting a lot more bang for your buck.

To practice flying I would get a syma 5 or Estes Proto on Amazon...both are $30-$40 and the syma has a camera on it. Flying these will be more difficult than the Phantom 3 but will prepare you if you ever get stuck in ATTI mode on your Phantom. Buy both if you want....it is nice to have a cheap one to zing around...

Thanks everyone. Great advice. So i purchased the P3A tonight but will also purchase an expensive practice drone as TheRealNick suggested

Just take your time to read the manual and take your time each time you fly for the first dozens times or so and make sure you do your checks, then it will become second nature

do you see any advantages of starting with one vs the other?

Chances are if you start with the standard you'll soon want to upgrade. If you can afford the Advanced, at least get that one. The only difference between the advance and pro is the camera.

The only difference between the advance and pro is the camera.
There are some other differences, but that's the most notable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic