Just saw this, $500 for being to close to the airport (Canada)

I'm curious as to how he thought this would be legal to do? Saw or read about it being okay on the internet, hearsay, or make up his own idea of the law. No doubt the city might have a "You cannot fly in our parks" ordinance as well as the airport encroachment too.

I don't know if this can ever be solved as there are too many gray areas. LA is prime in that you can cross the street and something can be against some city ordinance as you just changed cities, like needing a WeHo number on your drone for city identification yet not so across the street into Beverly Hills (Wherever the border is?). Huntington Beach will be another mess if they enact the 300 foot horizontal "Needs approval" safety rule too, and where does their city begin and end?

It's one thing to fly near an International Airport. It's another thing to fly right beside it and in the flight path of the planes taking off and landing!
A few weeks ago Knobs in Edmonchuck were flying towards the Police helicopter at night ??

I'm glad to hear they caught the guy and fined him! Maybe others will think twice about what the h--- they are doing.

Same old story, a few bad apples and the rest of us pay the price for them!

Glad to see it. Story doesn't say who levied the fine. In the US it would be the FAA and I doubt that he would get away with just $500! Not sure local authorities would have jurisdiction to even stop the guy in the first place if it was a NAS violation.

There's a bit more to it here: Drone incident near airport results in charges against Calgary man

So they've also had issues with drones in Vancouver and Ontario as well. Then there was the dispute whether it's local or criminal too. Funny they got him later on a traffic stop. No doubt the delay was the officer trying to find out the legality of him flying there. He has to appear in court Jan. 28 almost four months out for a $500 fine. The drone in the news story must be a stock shot as it looks a bit bloated (Hero camera on front and some other camera behind it?) and wouldn't be cheap either. They made it look like an "Evil Drone" too and for the public to call in illegal or unsafe operations (Like they know the law anymore than some drone fliers or police do.). :rolleyes:

this is the first time in Calgary that we have charged anybody under the criminal code for operating a UAV.,”

So this guy would have a criminal record now? That gets a lot more serious than a $500 fine.

Reactions: GPSMapNut
Yes the charge was in January. But the conviction and fine was only a couple days ago.

The real news here is it was a criminal code charge. Not like bylaw or highway traffic act.

Reactions: GPSMapNut

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj