Just received P3 -Packed like &€%#

I just received my P3A today and my gimbal lock and foam piece were still on. The P3A box was packed well inside another box when it arrived. Updated great and did a quick fly inside since it's dark here now. My first drone and wow was it windy inside! All good so far.

Reactions: Bugs
It's good to know that some have made it through intact. Even if the replacement arrives with the lock loose, I'll feel a lot better if the overbox has cushion all the way round.

It's good to know that some have made it through intact. Even if the replacement arrives with the lock loose, I'll feel a lot better if the overbox has cushion all the way round.

The P2V+ shipped with the clear plastic gymbal lock in place. For the P3 it looks like they decided that it was better to have a piece of styrofoam supporting the gymbal becuase it is not as rigid as the clear plastic lock and allows for more flexibility. Once you remove the styrofoam you will find that the clear plastic gymbal lock does clip into place very securely, almost too much so.

The position of the sytrofoam block for shipping prevents the clear plastic gymbal lock from securely attaching. With your background in mechanical engineering I imagine you are familiar with problem situations caused by structures being too rigid causing stress failures that can be prevented by designing controlled flexibility into the system.

EE, but thank you for the clarification. The foam dampens the suspended structure, but the plastic clamp limits the camera movement. With the clamp missing, the lens assembly is free to slam into limits. Can't imagine that is good for the system. With the P3 box decoupled from the overpack, deceleration impulses would be spread out. Same total energy but less peak energy / easier on the bearings, limits, suspended masses etc.

Years ago I designed some shipboard .mil stuff. They had an impulse test that simulated a depth charge. Outside metal case survived without a scratch. Inside was all junk :D

I don't blame you one bit for returning it! Us old guys (I'm 60), tend to know the value of something. $1600 is a lot of money to then receive it in a dilapidated box! Yes, make 'em send you a new one!

Reactions: Bugs
EDIT: The gimbal holder doesn't lock into place. Most, when they open their P3 for the first time the holder is laying in the box - including mine. No issues with mine. I've flown over 10 flights now.

It does actually, but for some reason they aren't pushing them fully home in the factory.
Take a couple of minutes to look at it carefully when you put it on.
There's a tab in the center is supposed to click into a slot and if you do it properly it's very secure, so much so it's quite difficult to remove until you've done it a few times.

They have one to ship set aside for me. Waiting a week is no biggie.

If it were month(s) my decision may have been different.

Someone obviously thought there was enough reason to have a clamp in the first place.

We'll know within a few months if there is any weakness in the system. Large enough data pool to quickly extract trends.

Working in everyone's favor is the relatively low mass of the lens/sensor assembly. Hopefully this will be a case of me being over - cautious. :)
The only issue with this is B&H receives them from DJI from China. You have no idea how they received it, so the trip from New York is minimal compared to what it has been through already. My gimbal clamp was on and it was packaged perfect from Drone Nerds.

I received mine P3P from DronesPlus in Vegas. Packed perfectly with the gimbal lock and the form protector both in place. I was really happy. They also have great CS with communication.

Very happy I purchased from them! I still have one on order locally. I just couldn't wait and will cancel that order when he emails or calls.

The replacement arrived 2 hours ago.

Outer box was crushed.

Fortunately, B&H put padding on 4 of the six sides.

Too bad they didn't pad all 6 sides of the box, as requested and as promised.

Spent 1hr 12m on the phone with customer service. "We've shipped thousands without a problem. There is nothing wrong with our shipping department. We can't guarantee a package can be protected on all sides"

It's going back.

Any places that know how to pack have a P3P with (preferred) or without the extra battery available or due in the next week or so? Will cancel the replacement from B&H.

1432067786396.jpg
FAIL.

The replacement arrived 2 hours ago.

Outer box was crushed.

Fortunately, B&H put padding on 4 of the six sides.

Too bad they didn't pad all 6 sides of the box, as requested and as promised.

Spent 1hr 12m on the phone with customer service. "We've shipped thousands without a problem. There is nothing wrong with our shipping department. We can't guarantee a package can be protected on all sides"

It's going back.

Any places that know how to pack have a P3P with (preferred) or without the extra battery available or due in the next week or so? Will cancel the replacement from B&H.
I am thinking your best bet may be to fly over to China and bring one back with you!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj