Just Received 3 Advanced...A few ???

Reaction score
When I opened the box, the gimbal secure thingy was not attached. I hope the camera and gimbal are OK.

When I first turned it on it gave me a message "Gimbal is Overloaded"......It cleared up and I don't see this message any longer and the gimbal appears to be operating OK......??

DJI Go says everything including the battery needs a firmware upgrade. Should I do this before I fly it?

I went through the firmware tutorial and for a guy that can barely do email, it seems quite complicated. I've done firmware updates on dozens of devices and I never had to use "bin" numbers and all the other hockus pocus that the tutorial suggests. Am I make more out of this than it is?

What other "Got Ya" should I be aware of before I send this thing off into outerspace!

Make sure you remove the small piece of white foam from behind the gimbal, many forget about this piece.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

That plastic gimbal guard is reported to have fallen off in shipping by many people, seems common. You are not required to update, you can if you want. I would leave it as is if it were me, but it is up to your personal preference. It will still fly fine. Many here wish they could roll their firmware back. Updating the firmware is pretty easy. You put the bin file onto the camera card and it updates from that.

Here is the owners manual, please read it hourly, it will explain how to upgrade if you choose to plus many other must know information - https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Advanced_User_Manual__V1.6.pdf

Have a look at this link - Know Before You Fly

Enjoy your new quad and fly safe!

Roy, you must calibrate your phantom: IMU, gimbel and compass. Ensure the batterys are 100% charged before you take off; and land at 50%. Keep your batteries warm, you don't live in the tropics. Don't forget to press record, and share your videos here. Good luck and enjoy your new hobby!

Yes upgrade all firmware to the latest. I prefer to do all the craft firmware updates while on a level surface. Then right after do an IMU calibration then gimbal calibration on the level surface. Take it somewhere where there's not a lot of magnetic interference maybe where you'll do your flying and then do a field compass calibration. Take it slow when you're learning to fly it, very slow.

When I opened the box, the gimbal secure thingy was not attached. I hope the camera and gimbal are OK.

When I first turned it on it gave me a message "Gimbal is Overloaded"......It cleared up and I don't see this message any longer and the gimbal appears to be operating OK......??

DJI Go says everything including the battery needs a firmware upgrade. Should I do this before I fly it?

I went through the firmware tutorial and for a guy that can barely do email, it seems quite complicated. I've done firmware updates on dozens of devices and I never had to use "bin" numbers and all the other hockus pocus that the tutorial suggests. Am I make more out of this than it is?

What other "Got Ya" should I be aware of before I send this thing off into outerspace!
My gimbal lock was not on either when i received my P3.

I got the same message as I forgot to remove the white foam from the gimbal. All was well and no damage.

I would fly it first before upgrading. It works out of the box.

You will need to learn it. It's not hard. About as hard as e-mail.

As above, charge to 100%, land at 50% for 1st 10 flights or so for new batteries.
Calibrate compass in ferrous free environment.
Set Failsafe RTH height before 1st flight.
Ensure home point is updated before lift off.

SD

this is the best firmware upgrade tutorial I could find and the one I used. However, as yours is a new one, updating the controller will be a little different as you will do it via the DJI GO app. Update the phantom first as per the video, then power everything up, connect to the phantoms camera and tap the status bar at the top of the screen in the middle. It'll be red, green or yellow depending on the status, that should take you into another menu and RC UPDATE NEEDED should be the first thing you see. Just tap that and it'll do it automatically. Good luck! [emoji2]

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes upgrade all firmware to the latest. I prefer to do all the craft firmware updates while on a level surface. Then right after do an IMU calibration then gimbal calibration on the level surface. Take it somewhere where there's not a lot of magnetic interference maybe where you'll do your flying and then do a field compass calibration. Take it slow when you're learning to fly it, very slow.

I think this is bad advice.

I would NOT upgrade the firmware until you have test flown.

(after doing the calibrations)

Then read up on what the later firmware does in particular the GEO stuff.

A lot of people are sticking with earlier firmware 1.4 because of this.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
I recommend the latest due to the battery issue with cold weather many others are of this line of thought as well but I guess to each their own.

Reactions: fordruid
I recommend the latest due to the battery issue with cold weather many others are of this line of thought as well but I guess to each their own.

As far as I have seen the cold battery issue was introduced at 1.5 firmware.

OK, I did the firmware update after much frustration as there exists zero instructions with the unit or in the downloaded owners manual. Finally YouTube to the rescure and even they were not up to date on the unit I have. I started another post on my findings.

What is an IMU calibration? Where is the Gimbal calibration? "Then right after do an IMU calibration then gimbal calibration on the level surface".

IMU is the widget that detects the motion of drone in flight, it is critical to be done correctly.

gimbal calibration is under the camera symbol on the drop down menu of the go app.

Don't forget the compass calibration when you get to where you are going to fly. No need to keep doing it before every flight just make sure to do it away from strong magnetic fields (large metallic objects). I usually take my watch off leave my phone in the car etc. If you travel I dunno more than say 50 miles or so from your normal flying spot it wouldn't hurt to do another compass calibration. Just don't do it every time you fly as you risk getting a bad calibration and weird things can happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers