Just purchased a v3 vision + but I have a huge cell tower...

Reaction score
So hello everyone. I just purchased my first dji phantom! I'm very excited and have been flying model airplanes for a while. I even have one if the cheap quad copters called a udi808 which for $60 has provided tons of fun. I'm ready to step up with the big buys of quadcopter but a huge cell tower on my 100 acres of land I fly on worries me. Is it REALLY going to be interfering with my new quadcopter or did the new update take care of most of the issues with cell towers and such. We love in the country and on a 100 acres like I said so how far do I need to stay away from the tower to be safe? Also any advice for this newbie to big quadcopters would be appreciated.

Re: Just purchased a v3 vision + but I have a huge cell towe

Welcome to the forum. You will love the phantom. From what I have read & seen in the videos, Yes, cell towers will mess with you phantom. Just stay a few hundred yards away & it shouldn't be a problem. I have two towers around where I fly mine a lot. I just stay 400 yards away from it & have not had any problems with interference. Another thing, you want to stay away from the dishes on a microwave tower :shock: just FYI, if you put your location in your info, there is normally someone close who can help if you would need it.

Thanks Larry I appreciate it. I'm sure I will enjoy it and if I have to take it somewhere else to fly I will but I will heed your advice 400 yards should be no problem.

Just read up or look at some you tube videos. Of you can find any help ones. Like I stated, I have one maybe about that distance 400 yards & the other one is on adjacent hill about 800 yards away & never had a problem with them. From what I could find, there is no set distance, just says stay away from them. The towers that are in my area are up on a hill, I have never flown to the height of the dishes but I just try to stay away as I feel better safe than sorry.
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2-Flight
viewtopic.php?t=4938
Enjoy your quad.

I actually fly right up to a couple cell phone towers nearby and have not had any issues getting as close to 15ft from them. I was able to gps hover a take some great shots of the structures. Either they do not cause interference or i am one lucky SOB.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    890.5 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 537

A few more of the local sheriff's communication tower.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender1.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 448
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    966.2 KB · Views: 492
  • FullSizeRender3.jpg
    FullSizeRender3.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 497

The microwave dishes on the side are probably more of a risk, but very directional almost like a torch beam.
Frequencies used vary by country and operator, and different services can use alternate bands (often there is other stuff not just phones on them) so getting close IS potentially risky.

I've installed and flown in front of 5.8 GHz microwave systems with no issues. I had to look up the specs.

Standard non licensed 5.8 GHz microwave is 5.725 - 5.850 GHz.

From what I can tell RC 5.8 GHz is 5.705, 5.685, 5.665, 5.645, 5.885, 5.905, 5.925, and 5.945 GHz.

I too have a tower fairly close to me (a little over half a KM or so) and it's loaded with everything... Cell, microwave, VHF paging. All sorts of RF making stuff. I've flown many times in it's general vicinity (within one or two hundred meters typically) and I've never experienced any sort of issue. Can't say it doesn't make me a little nervous though! I also did a country flight off of a bluff that was near the really big high voltage towers without any ill effects.

Cool that's great to know I don't have to worry so much about cell towers!! Now to worry about flyaways is it a real concern?

Now we know. Glad no one is having any problems. I have always stayed away as what I read & heard.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik