Just over 6 months and 150+ flights in, P3P went crazy and crashed!

Reaction score
So yesterday, I was messing around flying low and fast LOS. About 10ft above the ground doing some hard banking turns. All of a sudden the P3P made some crazy noises, gained 10ft of altitude and flipped into inverted before hitting the ground. The only real damage is that the gimbal is non responsive at all, I think the ribbon cable got cut where the gimbal wires but its too hard to see, its a tiny tiny cut. I think a motor/esc went bad, which caused the other 3 motors to try to compensate, which is why it gained 10ft and then flipped over... I just emailed DJI, will see how it goes...

I learned to fly with a hubsan x4. Anytime I started doing fast maneuvers with it, it would do the same. I believe it confuses the electronics in the machine when you do too much to fast. That said, even though it is tempting to play, I try to fly steady with the p3a. If I want to go fast and do flips, I'll bust out the hubsan.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: snowghost
The P3 is very limited though. So pushing it to its programmed limits is nothing compared to what it should actually be able to do if we were able to put it into manual mode. I push it to its limits once in a while via LOS to make sure its all well and have a bit of fun. I'm sure in manual mode it could probably do 100mph, especially with 4s it should punch out like a bat outta hell, unless these are really only 10c cells (probably close, maybe 20c rated)...
I had all the small quads and a flamewheel f450. The F450 was pretty fun especially in manual mode, even more so with the new 2gram escs and a small high C battery, under a 5 minute flight but you can whip it around like crazy.

I learned to fly with a hubsan x4. Anytime I started doing fast maneuvers with it, it would do the same. I believe it confuses the electronics in the machine when you do too much to fast. That said, even though it is tempting to play, I try to fly steady with the p3a. If I want to go fast and do flips, I'll bust out the hubsan.

The type of sensor error that causes a flight controller to become confused in that way doesn't really happen with any of the current breed of flight controllers. Now if a sensor spontaneously went bad, sure...Definitely seems more likely that a rotor went out.

You should post your log files for analysis.

Exactly! Zip the .txt file and attach it here as if it was a photo. Then maybe a few of us might come up with something.

So yesterday, I was messing around flying low and fast............
It's a camera with props to lift it up, not a stunt drone. It's meant to lift the camera up so you can get the shot. Nothing more. Trying to fly it in any other manner is asking for trouble. Not that I don't get tempted too................ it's VERY hard not to want to zip her around and fly it like a mad man. But I always remember it wasn't built for that. Hope they help you out!

Reactions: snowghost

I don't doubt this is your experience... but I'd say if flying fast causes this kind of catastrophic failure - it's a problem that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer.

That said - I doubt that flying too fast is what caused this... I think it's more likely a motor or esc failed... we'll see when the log files are posted.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic