Just ordered my Typhoon H in lieu of P4

Reaction score
I was on the fence about the P4 and just can't see spending $1400 for something that very few owners appear to rave about. I'm going to keep my P3P since it owes me nothing and has been trouble free and an absolute pleasure to fly. Although the Typhoon H is limited to 1 mile with its wifi, its many features including the 360 degree camera, built in FPV, 6 rotors, retractable landing gear and of course its 'stealth' appearance has me hooked. Purchased on Amazon therefore, I'll have 30 days to decide if whether or not this will satisfy my needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott99
Like you, I am enjoying my P3A and not in a hurry to upgrade. Pls let us know how the H performs in real world flights. I am very interested.

Reactions: treerichard
Like you, I am enjoying my P3A and not in a hurry to upgrade. Pls let us know how the H performs in real world flights. I am very interested.
Check out our sister site and ya can see what they think Yuneec Drone Forum:)

I have one pre-ordered as well. I as well have a Phantom 3 that I love. When I photograph or take videos I tend to get close to objects (flying through rock passages, near waterfalls, following moving objects, etc). The Phantom 3 is outstanding for those high altitude slow sweeping shots, but not very good at getting close to objects for the simple fact that you have to visually continuously watch your surrounds which takes away from what your trying to capture.

Since the Typhoon has a 360 camera (with no props or legs in the frame), and object avoidance, one can then get great shots in tight quarters.

Simple point the *** end at what your filming, and spin the camera 180 degrees. You then have FPV in the front and collision avoidance in the rear. If objects are close to one side of the craft, just point the collision avoidance in that direction while turning the camera in the direction you're filming.

I think the Phantom 4 missed photographers needs by placing the collision avoidance in the front with a "forward only" facing camera. Great for newbies, but that's about it.

I think the H is gonna be awesome but it depends on what you need. There's some great things about how the P4 and the H handle things, and then some not great things about both. The main reason I fly a phantom, having come from a yuneec q500, is because of third party apps - namely litchi for me. Autonomous flight, handled the way third party does it, is the only way to go to bring back near perfect footage from a flight. Yuneec does have an integrated android tablet in the remote. If they could allow for an app such as litchi to be installed, that's a game changer for yuneec. But currently, they handle waypoints much like dji does in that you have to fly to set them. That's not desirable compared to other apps. Since the P4 isn't enough of an upgrade for me and neither is the typhoon H, I'm sticking with what works, the P3A.

Reactions: low_budget
I think the H is gonna be awesome but it depends on what you need. There's some great things about how the P4 and the H handle things, and then some not great things about both. The main reason I fly a phantom, having come from a yuneec q500, is because of third party apps - namely litchi for me. Autonomous flight, handled the way third party does it, is the only way to go to bring back near perfect footage from a flight. Yuneec does have an integrated android tablet in the remote. If they could allow for an app such as litchi to be installed, that's a game changer for yuneec. But currently, they handle waypoints much like dji does in that you have to fly to set them. That's not desirable compared to other apps. Since the P4 isn't enough of an upgrade for me and neither is the typhoon H, I'm sticking with what works, the P3A.
I did like Ground Station on the Phantom 2V+ for exactly what you mention. You could fly for miles & miles. Except, I had to leave the camera pointed in one direction. DJI took it away on the Phantom 3 & 4. But as you noted you can still do it with Litchi.

I think I'm one of the few people who use the DJI waypoint function on the Phantom 3. I love to fly a pattern over an object and record the waypoints. Then fly it again in autonomous mode, but this time I operate the camera to get the shot. This is limited due to how the camera works. You can do the same on the Typhoon H except you have full control of the camera in all directions. I will be keeping my Phantom for high and long distance photography.

I believe the H also records camera angle with waypoints as well, something the phantom does not do. So that's a notable benefit. However, neither could get me footage like this that I flew yesterday with litchi, a mile long continuous run. This is where it's at for me.

Reactions: PhantomPlanet
It would have been nice for Yuneec to include a case at this price point like the P4. It seem such a specialize form your gonna have to get a case with it.

I wouldn't call a styrofoam box a case, but it's something I suppose.

It would have been nice for Yuneec to include a case at this price point like the P4. It seem such a specialize form your gonna have to get a case with it.
I agree, and probably around the $150 to $199 price point. If less, I'll be happy as I certainly require a case.

I saw in a CES video that the batteries will be $129 to $149 and the Intel Realsense add on modual will be $149 to $199. I don't know if these are retail suggested prices or fixed prices so numbers could go up or down since Yuneec has changed their entire pricing scheme due to the P4.

I just notice April 15 ship date for amazon... I thought they are coming out the 1st!

I just notice April 15 ship date for amazon... I thought they are coming out the 1st!
Lol, the world of Yuneec. They may move a little slower but their birds are usually very well baked by the time they are released. Dji seems to prefer releasing the product to stay ahead of the competition but the product is rarely truly ready. Yuneec firmware updates are generally solid as well. But with yuneec new products, patience is a must. Eventually they let people have them, lol.

Does DJI hold the only patent on the Lightbridge technology? I love everything I saw about the Typhoon H except for its Phantom 2 vision Plus Wifi range. :(

I'm going for the Yuneec over the P4 but waiting for the full package with realsense and the case, I am not sure on the cost yet, but figure if its in the same ball park as the P4 its well worth it for the better redundancy of more rotors and the 360 camera. Will keep the P3 as love it and the SDK apps so will see you guys on both forums!

Does DJI hold the only patent on the Lightbridge technology? I love everything I saw about the Typhoon H except for its Phantom 2 vision Plus Wifi range. :(

When asked, they say the range is much improved over the Q500+ 4K. They say (the staff in videos) 1.5 miles. However, they may have their miles and Kilometers confused. Also they may be referring to signal transmission range and not video (FPV) range since both operate at a different frequency.

Just like DJI, you can say whatever you need to in order to sell your units (make all sorts of range & battery claims), but the real test comes when users actually try it out for themselves in all types of environments.

Last edited:
Saw the Simon Newton videos on it which really piqued my interest. I can't live with a 400' ceiling limit though. It'd be like having a car that had a limiter on it of 70mph, or whatever your state's max speed limit is.

I'm going for the Yuneec over the P4 but waiting for the full package with realsense and the case, I am not sure on the cost yet, but figure if its in the same ball park as the P4 its well worth it for the better redundancy of more rotors and the 360 camera. Will keep the P3 as love it and the SDK apps so will see you guys on both forums!

This is the poster that is circling the internet. I don't know if Yuneec came up with the titles or someone just stole them from DJI. According to this flyer there are two versions of the Typhoon H. An Advanced version at $1299 US, and a Professional version at $1699 US.

The Advanced version (at $1299 US) comes with:
(Available April 2016)
- Typhoon H
- Extra props
- ST16 controller
- Charger
- Car Charger
- 1 Battery
- Wizard controller

The Professional version (at $1699 US) comes with:
(Available late May/early June 2016)
- Typhoon H fully loaded (includes Intel realsense, etc)
- Extra props
- ST16 controller
- Charger
- Car Charger
- 2 x Batteries
- Wizard controller
- Backpack

TABLE2.jpg

TABLE1.jpg

Reactions: sdharris
Saw the Simon Newton videos on it which really piqued my interest. I can't live with a 400' ceiling limit though. It'd be like having a car that had a limiter on it of 70mph, or whatever your state's max speed limit is.

Apparently, like in the DJI Go app, you can override it (the ceiling is software based). I wish there were more test videos or reviews out on this unit flying in the real world so there would be solid answers to questions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj