Just ordered my first phantom

Reaction score
Can't wait to get into this hobby, been researching for a while.

I do have a question though has anybody had a fly away where the phantom just took off and flew away while in visible line of sight? I've read the guide on what to do if that happens but was just curious on how concerned I should be.

yes fly away happens. I would not buy Phantom V2+ if u just starting to fly drones. Start with cheaper version. Learn to fly before getting V2+.

Prowler said:
yes fly away happens. I would not buy Phantom V2+ if u just starting to fly drones. Start with cheaper version. Learn to fly before getting V2+.
I've had quads just not with a camera.

IF YOU JUST ORDERED A V+ it is just fine. Only be sure to do all the preflight steps and be sure how to fly it. First flights should be in an open field to learn its manners. Remember that in a V+ the gimbal-camera assembly is the weakest part and the most expensive to replace, avoid hard landings and learn to catch it that is better for the gimbal. Welcome and good luck.

Apparition said:
I do have a question though has anybody had a fly away where the phantom just took off and flew away while in visible line of sight?
In most cases, this happens due to one of the following:

- The pilot did not read and/or understand the DJI manual
- The pilot took off before the Phantom was ready
- The pilot did not calibrate the compass, IMU, and/or remote controller
- Some other type of pilot error

msinger said:
Apparition said:
I do have a question though has anybody had a fly away where the phantom just took off and flew away while in visible line of sight?
In most cases, this happens due to one of the following:

- The pilot did not read and/or understand the DJI manual
- The pilot took off before the Phantom was ready
- The pilot did not calibrate the compass, IMU, and/or remote controller
- Some other type of pilot error
That was pretty much the conclusion I had come up with by reading the forums.

Apparition said:
Another question, is an inertia guard needed on the V3's?
I would get one, the bird will take a hit but the camera won't.

Apparition said:
is an inertia guard needed on the V3's?
The Inertia Guard will not protect the camera. It is supposed to prevent the gimbal cable from ripping though.

I have the Inertia Guard and it fits well and seems like it would do the job. There are some other options at the following link if you want to see the other gimbal protectors that are commonly used:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/#GimbalProtector

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj