Just Ordered a P3Pro... Help Needed!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I finally convinced my finance manager and VP to let me order a P3P for work (with extra battery, manfrotto backpack and 32gb mini sd card; I'll be the pilot)

I work for a Theme Park company, and we're building a new park, which I think the P3P will perform beautifully in.

I want it mostly to end the contract with our company that does Aerial Shots and track changes from a different perspective. The fact that I can stream the FPV from my smartphone to the AppleTV and show it on the big screen will work great whenever we're meeting with the contractors regarding construction issues.

Now, the thing is... I've never piloted one... and that makes me scared!

I've read plenty of tutorials and watched YouTube videos about piloting these machines and doesn't seem too difficult, however, I can't say anything until I try it. I'm just scared of crashing it (I got the 3 year extended warranty, to be on the safe side)

Do you guys have any resources or any freeware I can download to learn how to pilot it? Or any tips?

Thanks!!

Danny

Reactions: bassrebel
Sounds like you're doing the right things by watching tutorials and researching as much as you can. When you get it, read (and understand) the ENTIRE manual. There should be a mini-pamphlet about different flight maneuvers and things that you can practice to become proficient in flying it. Also, the Pilot app comes with a flight simulator. I don't know how well it works, because I'm still waiting for my Pro to arrive, but it might be worth it to practice some on it.

Overall, the Phantoms are very easy to fly compared to most quad rotor platforms. As long as you are informed about all of the features and controls, you should be able to pick it up fairly quickly. Just take it slow at first.

Welcome! First of all, I think you'll find the P3 very easy to pilot and learn. That said, the tips that suggest getting a smaller, very inexpensive quad to practice with are right on point. I got a Blade Nano and fly it inside for practice. The controls are similar and getting good with a smaller quad certainly helps your reflexes and instincts with the P3.

Read all you can here. Watch the videos above. Ask questions when they come up. And I sure hope you post some photos of your park!

Chris

Chances are good that the 3 year extended warranty does not apply (it does not if sold on Amazon).

Practice, practice practice. I'd say it would take 2-3 months to get pretty good or around 50 flights. Around this time you would feel pretty comfortable flying in most situations. If you use iOS there is a flight sim that people say is pretty good. You might want to try a couple of flights this way and then some short easy flights with the real P3.

Sounds like you're doing the right things by watching tutorials and researching as much as you can. When you get it, read (and understand) the ENTIRE manual. There should be a mini-pamphlet about different flight maneuvers and things that you can practice to become proficient in flying it. Also, the Pilot app comes with a flight simulator. I don't know how well it works, because I'm still waiting for my Pro to arrive, but it might be worth it to practice some on it.

Overall, the Phantoms are very easy to fly compared to most quad rotor platforms. As long as you are informed about all of the features and controls, you should be able to pick it up fairly quickly. Just take it slow at first.
Weird question... but...

Where can I download the manual? Does the website have a manual? I didn't order it through the website, I ordered through B&H Photo (Contractual agreement) and I'd rather start reading it now than when it arrives, I might be tempted to start playing...

Start in open spaces without obstructions. Practice maneuvers until your comfortable flying in any direction and get a feel for judging distance. And remember if you get disoriented, just let go of the sticks and let the GPS hold it in place until you clear your head.

Start in open spaces without obstructions. Practice maneuvers until your comfortable flying in any direction and get a feel for judging distance. And remember if you get disoriented, just let go of the sticks and let the GPS hold it in place until you clear your head.
Right now the park is a big empty space so I'll have plenty of space to practice

Looks like you already have good advice and the right attitude.
The Phantom 3 is much easier to fly than you imagine.
The trick is to not let this fool you into getting too adventurous too early.
Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.

Read up on RTH procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can control things.

I am a super newb. I never did any RC other than the cheesiest of dime store cars and I just got the P3 Advanced and it is super easy to fly because if you have to try and figure something out Just let off the controls and it will be still and hover and mind it's own business until you figure out what you want to do. Only tough part is learning depth perception while doing FPV....yeah I had it a week and am on 2nd pair of props and they are scuffed too...lol....but that was me trying to do advanced stuff like land on a covered balcony in high winds so shame on me. Its a ton of fun. I did my first night flight last night. Oh and for the pros out there...I am sure I did a ton of stuff wrong with exposure and such.
FB_IMG_1432704389753.jpg

Looks like you already have good advice and the right attitude.
The Phantom 3 is much easier to fly than you imagine.
The trick is to not let this fool you into getting too adventurous too early.
Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.

Read up on RTH procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can control things.
Thanks,

I'm checking your aerial photo page... as a fellow photographer, that's sick! =)

I am a super newb. I never did any RC other than the cheesiest of dime store cars and I just got the P3 Advanced and it is super easy to fly because if you have to try and figure something out Just let off the controls and it will be still and hover and mind it's own business until you figure out what you want to do. Only tough part is learning depth perception while doing FPV....yeah I had it a week and am on 2nd pair of props and they are scuffed too...lol....but that was me trying to do advanced stuff like land on a covered balcony in high winds so shame on me. Its a ton of fun. I did my first night flight last night. Oh and for the pros out there...I am sure I did a ton of stuff wrong with exposure and such.
View attachment 20229

The more videos I watch, the more confident I feel of flying them.

And like stated above, I also do photography, so the possibilities with it are endless!

Welcome Bassrebel, Exactly what everyone has stated. The platform is super stable. Stay in line of sight. If you fly around a building, tree, etc, just make darn sure you know what is over there. You can be fooled into a feeling of false security with FPV only to hit something you did not see.

Well I got the P3 today and since I read the manual I immediately started working on the drone... I updated the firmware and I spent at least one or two hours playing with the simulator... I felt quite comfortable to try it and surprisingly enough it wasn't as hard as I thought... I spent most of the time getting to know the speed of the device, what can it do and what can't it do... I completely forgot that I could take pictures or record video lol!!! anyways I was able to snap one picture just before sunset... and for being the first picture ever I think it came out pretty good... of course, I post process all of my pictures, so the results is slightly different from what it came from the camera...

Attachments

• DJI.jpg
    DJI.jpg
    685 KB · Views: 393

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1