Just how fragile is the phantom 3

Reaction score
got my phantom 3 standard about 3 weeks ago. Already have had 2 minor crashes. I am a careful operator. No damage.

Looking at the phantom with the exposed ribbon cable and the exposed wires and all is pretty alarming. It looks very fragile and does not inspire a lot of confidence. I have a gimbal protector. Just want to see what other people think. How fragile is this device and is there anything that you can do to physically protect it more. Sometimes even placing the lens cap/gimbal lock I feel I'm going to break the gimbal.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Unfortunately this is an expensive hobby and the quads are pretty susceptible in a crash as you might imagine. A lot of crashes will sever the ribbon cable if it is just so. The best way to prevent this is to learn everything there is to know about your bird and the TX. Better knowledge of the aircraft will make you a better operator. ;)

Reactions: jeganx
They are fragile like birds. Need to be built light to maxise performance and flight times. The trade off is durability unfortunately.

Looking at the phantom with the exposed ribbon cable and the exposed wires and all is pretty alarming. It looks very fragile and does not inspire a lot of confidence. I have a gimbal protector. Just want to see what other people think. How fragile is this device and is there anything that you can do to physically protect it more. Sometimes even placing the lens cap/gimbal lock I feel I'm going to break the gimbal.
Sometimes they can be damaged with a fall of just a few feet and other times they can survive a fall of 40 feet - you never can tell.

Practice-practice-practice.
I started 10 years ago with build your own, hardly able to hover, flybar helis. Needless to say I have crashed & rebuilt almost as many rc helicopters as there are parts on a Phantom, all well before DJI even existed(or GPS navigation equiped birds were conceived)as a company.
Personally I enjoyed the build & tinkering more then the flying at first. Back then the only option, other then Phoenix & Real Flight simulator programs that cost a couple hundred $$, was to crash-learn-rebuild aka trial & error. I have to say I'm very glad it began that way for me & only allows me to appreciate the technology we have now! There's a lot to be said for understanding the basics of in-flight orientation & nothing you can buy to replace EXPERIENCE.
That's not to say it's too late to learn or that you will not achieve the flight control you want to have over time. There's a reason the DJI Flight Simulator is 3 clicks away in their app. Fly, get comfortable & crash all you want for free but all the while your gaining flight time & some form of experience, with those same sticks in your hand too. Of course with less cost or risk but that's the point. The company could very easily charge hundreds of dollars for a flight simulator program & a few more for the accesorries to use them. Fortunately they don't & we are all working towards the same goals to be the safest best pilots we can.
Sorry for the winded rant but respect the technology & progress that's taken leeps & bounds & utilize it to gain the confidence that works for you.
End of the day, imo, built your confidence in the most efficient way possible for you to fly carefully & responsibly. Spend some time on the simulator or Maybe pic up a lower end drone/quad without all the "training wheels" & hit the open fieldsMJX x101-Symba, tarantula etc. Learn when you yaw 180* all orientations are reversed & bring it back to you safely. Forget about the 1 touch of a tablet screen to take off or land & learn what it takes to use your skills & knowledge in the hobby to get yourself out of trouble.
Probably not the quick fix of easy answer you were seeking but it takes time & practice to get to be good at maintaining full control of your drone, especially within line of sight which you should be doing if your still crashing. Don't be ashamed or too proud to keep your settings in beginner mode for a dozen batteries. Whatever it takes, you only have to compete with yourself, your pride & your patience not a single other person on any forum or YouTube video. So what's best for you & keep at it. Over time you will gain confidence & surprise yourself, most likely faster then you think. Take it slow & progress at your own pace. It's very easy to get caught up in this craze & want to skip steps but that will only take you backwards in your flight progress in the end.
Agsin, I remember going weeks with countless batteries just trying maintain a hover radius of 10ft or so. I was embarrassed every so often when a passer by stood over my shoulder So I wanted to show off a bit but stay the course & only do what feels right & safe to you. You'll have your time to shine, trust me. I still remember the flight I spend the entire 6min battery on my Align 550e inverted(That's, upside down, loops, tick-tocks & trimming the grass with my blades. I was so proud but it literally took YEARS! It's not the same in technology with these phantoms but I feel you should respect the process & disapline just like attempting to hover a 450 class flybar heli without losing my orientation or slamming i to the ground &/or closest object.
Practice & take the time to build your experience & confidence, the rest will fall into place.
Happy flying, best of luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Sometimes they can be damaged with a fall of just a few feet and other times they can survive a fall of 40 feet - you never can tell.
Agreed. It depends on how/where it crashes. I threw a prop (my error) at 100 ft. over a soybean field. I thought sure I'd have to replace the gimbal. Thankfully it survived. All I had to replace was the shell and a couple props.

Clipped a tree about 50' up - it fell through the tree with the branches slowing the fall. A few scratches and battery thrown out, but the rise ok.

As soon as you think you got it down, you make a mistake.

Only damage, one broken prop guard, three props grounded down from chewing up a tire, yes there was burning rubber, and my confidence.
:rolleyes:

P3S - RTH and Multiple Flight Modes

Oh, welcome to the forum!

Rod

I have two crashes under my belt both ended up with no damage. First one was literally less than a minute into my first flight ever I got a gps error and flew straight into a tree. Tumbled down about 75 feet through some branches. No damage just some dirt to clean off. Second crash was me pushing the battery and it went into a critically low landing straight into the top of a tree. No damage luckily it was a tree and not on a house or car. That one cost me 250 to hire a tee climber. No damage. So it's really hit or miss like everyone has been saying as far as damage. Just take your time read everything you can. This forum has taught me a lot and it's definitely saved me from crashing my phantom several times.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

"This forum has taught me a lot and it's definitely saved me from crashing my phantom several times."
Yes,
$250.00 ?

The best advice I can give is to buy a cheaper drone to "zoom around" in order to improve your pilot skills. I own two X8's *Syma) that I fly when I want to have fun and not worry about accidents. I did this for 6 months before buying my P3 4K. Once I got my P3 up in the air, I couldn't believe how incredibly easy it was (and is) to fly. They truly do fly themselves if you're a decent pilot.

got my phantom 3 standard about 3 weeks ago. Already have had 2 minor crashes. I am a careful operator. No damage.

On the gimbal protector that you mentioned. A lot of owners, including myself have gotten aftermarket ones that come on and off much easier. Check on Ebay or Amazon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues