Just have to vent...

Reaction score
I live in a rural area, I fly my P3P out of my backyard maybe twice a week, weather permitting. I fly into the woods about 1/4 to 1/2 mile behind my house to photograph some old coal mining areas. When I take off from my yard, I climb straight up to 250-300 ft. to avoid the tall trees and hills.

I only overfly the very edge of a small trailer park in the valley just before the woods, I'm always at 250' plus and moving at 18+ MPH, there are no other houses where I fly, just fields and woods.

After a 15 minute flight tonight, I am in the house putting the Phantom away when an old quad runner pulls up in my yard and a visibly intoxicated man knocks on the door. He's holding a travel mug that smells like vodka through the screen door, and asks if I own the drone that was just flying over his house. I told him I own a drone, but I don't fly over anyone's homes; I always fly over the woods out back.

He told me that he and his wife were outside and felt violated because a drone was hovering over their property taking pictures of them, and he followed it back to my house. I again told him that I was flying over the woods behind the house, and that if I did pass over his house it was at 300 feet and 18 MPH, I never hovered anywhere in the area over any home but my own, as I was landing.

I offered to show him the videos I just took so he could be assured that not only was I not hovering anywhere near his house, but any images taken from 250+ feet with a wide angle lens is not going to show any detail of people on the ground. He wasn't interested in the images, he had a speech, and he wanted to get it all out.

He told me his wife had read a news report about people using drones to take pictures of girls in their neighbors yard and that they again both felt violated just knowing there was a drone nearby, and that he had a right to privacy and he felt it was being violated. He also let me know how much of a nuisance it was because they heard the drone pass by their house when they were outside. This coming from the drunk guy who just drove his very loud, unlicensed off road quad runner down a public street to complain to me about noise from a 12" drone flying somewhere near his house at 250-300' high.

He told me he didn't want to cause any trouble, but he knows where I live and if he sees the drone again he will be calling the Sheriff's Department. I asked him where he lived so I could be sure to avoid his property in the future, and he vaguely gestured off to his left, spilling a bunch a liquid from his vodka mug all over my porch. I started asking him for some clarification on exactly where he lived, but he was already lurching across the yard back to his quad runner.

I don't blame him or his wife for their lack of understanding of just how little detail any small camera with a wide angle lens is able to record from 300', nor did I ask him if he and his wife felt violated every time a small plane or helicopter flew over their house at 500'. I know they were reacting to the BS scare mongering the media has been spreading about drones the past couple of years. If he was sober I would have invited him to come over and watch the live feed as I fly so he can see for himself just how low I would have to fly to see ANY kind of detail of his home or property, assuming I gave even the slightest crap about him, his wife or their single wide trailer.

So, I know this post has no meaning and doesn't accomplish anything, but I do feel slightly better having posted it anyway.

Edit: Drunky McVodkaMug must have enjoyed his illegal ride down a public street on his unlicensed quadrunner to complain to me earlier tonight; it is now 10:55 PM and he is still tearing up and down the road on that loud, broken muffelered POS rusty quad runner, in the dark with no lights (or helmet, but at this point I believe that him removing himself from the gene pool could only benefit mankind).
Really makes me look like quite the fool for legally operating a quadcopter while being fully registered and in compliance with FAA regulations for less than 15 minutes in daylight hours, while in the (very) general vicinity of the sacred, hallowed, top secret grounds of a six unit trailer park.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaime Ray Vaughn
I live in a rural area, I fly my P3P out of my backyard maybe twice a week, weather permitting. I fly into the woods about 1/4 to 1/2 mile behind my house to photograph some old coal mining areas. When I take off from my yard, I climb straight up to 250-300 ft. to avoid the tall trees and hills.

I only overfly the very edge of a small trailer park in the valley just before the woods, I'm always at 250' plus and moving at 18+ MPH, there are no other houses where I fly, just fields and woods.

After a 15 minute flight tonight, I am in the house putting the Phantom away when an old quad runner pulls up in my yard and a visibly intoxicated man knocks on the door. He's holding a travel mug that smells like vodka through the screen door, and asks if I own the drone that was just flying over his house. I told him I own a drone, but I don't fly over anyone's homes; I always fly over the woods out back.

He told me that he and his wife were outside and felt violated because a drone was hovering over their property taking pictures of them, and he followed it back to my house. I again told him that I was flying over the woods behind the house, and that if I did pass over his house it was at 300 feet and 18 MPH, I never hovered anywhere in the area over any home but my own, as I was landing.

I offered to show him the videos I just took so he could be assured that not only was I not hovering anywhere near his house, but any images taken from 250+ feet with a wide angle lens is not going to show any detail of people on the ground. He wasn't interested in the images, he had a speech, and he wanted to get it all out.

He told me his wife had read a news report about people using drones to take pictures of girls in their neighbors yard and that they again both felt violated just knowing there was a drone nearby, and that he had a right to privacy and he felt it was being violated. He also let me know how much of a nuisance it was because they heard the drone pass by their house when they were outside. This coming from the drunk guy who just drove his very loud, unlicensed off road quad runner down a public street to complain to me about noise from a 12" drone flying somewhere near his house at 250-300' high.

He told me he didn't want to cause any trouble, but he knows where I live and if he sees the drone again he will be calling the Sheriff's Department. I asked him where he lived so I could be sure to avoid his property in the future, and he vaguely gestured off to his left, spilling a bunch a liquid from his vodka mug all over my porch. I started asking him for some clarification on exactly where he lived, but he was already lurching across the yard back to his quad runner.

I don't blame him or his wife for their lack of understanding of just how little detail any small camera with a wide angle lens is able to record from 300', nor did I ask him if he and his wife felt violated every time a small plane or helicopter flew over their house at 500'. I know they were reacting to the BS scare mongering the media has been spreading about drones the past couple of years. If he was sober I would have invited him to come over and watch the live feed as I fly so he can see for himself just how low I would have to fly to see ANY kind of detail of his home or property, assuming I gave even the slightest crap about him, his wife or their single wide trailer.

So, I know this post has no meaning and doesn't accomplish anything, but I do feel slightly better having posted it anyway.

That sucks... sounds like you kept your cool.. and let him call the sheriff - you weren't doing anything wrong. What a punk...

I'm guessing he likes his privacy and his green thumb.
That implied greenery is legal in this state now, unless he is growing a LOT of green without a license. Either way I wouldn't know, since i have no known images of him or his property from my drone.

Unfortunately, we are all living with the bad press and reputation that previous drone flyers have left behind. We've seen some of them on this very forum. Sounds like you handled it very well, especially considering his condition.

Unfortunately, we are all living with the bad press and reputation that previous drone flyers have left behind. We've seen some of them on this very forum. Sounds like you handled it very well, especially considering his condition.
I wish he had been sober, I would honestly have liked to have shown both him and his wife either the videos, or the preferably the live feed from the Phantom. I think if more people like this were able to see the actual truth on what drones like this are capable of imaging, as opposed to "Facebook Facts", responsible drone owners would have a lot more pleasant hobby.

Reactions: flyboy73
You kept your cool quite admirably. As for the neighbor,..what an idiot. As I often say,..where there's smoke, there's fire!!

I agree with the others that you kept your cool and this is absolutely the way to play a situation like this.

A couple of older men were walking down my sidewalk when I was flying in the front yard and one told me how cool it was, and the other said "Theres some girls with bikinis on over there". I just rolled my eyes because people really have no idea.

Last edited:
I probably would have mentioned the drunk driving, and confrontation with a drink in his hand as an example of what real invasion of privacy could feel like, calmly explaining that you had no idea he even existed until he drunkenly hurled accusations at you on your porch. Then I would have offered to call the sheriff for him and report his drunk driving and harassment. Admittedly though, you handled it in a much better way as to try to avoid any future confrontation. Still the nerve of that guy to come to your house like that, I doubt I could have been as civil.

I just got back from a weekend with the P3P and the responses from everyone I encountered could not have been more positive. Everybody really was amazed and interested in the bird and then when I told them I had a live hd feed. Well yeah, this technology is pretty amazing. Hopefully you don't have to deal with your neighbor again.

Last edited:
Let him talk to the Sheriff. I'm sure he'll make a great impression. Especially if he drives up on his quad with the vodka glass. Likely LEO knows all about him.

Or you could take a different tack - tell him you need to fly the UAV to contact your alien masters for further instructions. And as a bit of friendly advice tell him that the mothership should be landing on the coal mines in a week or two.

Don't answer the door when some crazy person is on your porch. When he said he would contact the sheriff you should have pulled your phone out and made the call for him. I'm sure he would have been on his way home then. Definitely call the sheriff if you see hi out on his quad. The best defense is a strong offense.

Thanks for being constrained. I know it was difficult.

Never spend more than 5 minutes max with a drunk before you 1) act, 2) have him leave or 3) you walk away.

I wager you couldn't whip his azz and pour him on a phone with the Sherriff on the other end.

Feb. marks the beginning of pot growing season in Nawth 'Merica so I expect to hear more like this just before moonshine season begins. Lol

Thanks for being constrained. I know it was difficult.

Never spend more than 5 minutes max with a drunk

Feb. marks the beginning of pot growing season in Nawth 'Merica so I expect to hear more like this just before moonshine season begins. Lol

Lol. Let him call the sheriff. Make sure he refills his travel mug and has a fresh tank of gas before he calls and tell them all to meet at your place. Enjoy the turn of events. Use your drone to capture it. Good job keeping your calm. Sorry but drinking and driving anything with wheels deserves nothing but hard time. Sore spot of mine

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Phone rang and I fat fingered that!

Was going to say I agree with no more than 5 with a drunk and less if possible.

Also, I had not thought of "growing season" but dang if you aren't spot on with that observation. The Feds fly low around here all the time looking for .........stuff

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj