Just had my first interaction with someone I was flying near.

Reaction score
I was flying my P3S off a beach where I was focusing my camera on an old abandoned NAVY ship refueling pier. There was one boat near the pier when I arrived and was setting up and it was gone by the time I was in the air. After clearing my flight plan with the small grass airfield directly next to the beach I took off and did a couple circles around the pier and beach. On my second flight out the boat I saw earlier was coming back to the beach. As I was heading out I heard a female voice call out to the boat, "Do you see the drone? There's a drone over your boat."
I did my last pass around the pier and came in for a landing in an empty part of the parking lot. As I collected my Phantom a man approached me and said, "Interesting place to fly isn't it?"
I agreed and made sure to point out how close it is to an airfield and how I had contacted the manager and told them about my flight. The man asked if I got any footage of his boat and I said I probably did and why don't we look at the footage together. We reviewed the footage stored on my phone. I told him in advance that I didn't directly film his boat and that I don't like hovering over or right near people because it can make some folks very uncomfortable. He was very pleased with the video I shot and he asked if he could get a copy of it to share with his family.
Even though I was ready for anything it was a very positive exchange and I feel I acted as a good ambassador for the hobby.
TL/DR had a good interaction with someone who wanted to get a copy of the footage that included his family out on their boat.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nice one. Like you I'd be very wary if someone comes up to me after flying but I think if you're nice and you've followed your local laws ... what can they do even if they AREN'T happy.

My first thought (only because I don't trust anyone I don't know) is that maybe he was smart enough to play it cool in order to get evidence to turn in before it was deleted. Of course I'm sure he doesn't know about flight logs. Hope that's not the case but personally I wouldn't hand over any videos to people I don't know. But that's me. I just don't trust easily. But if everything was cool then great for you. It's good when people approach pilots with a positive attitude.

My first thought (only because I don't trust anyone I don't know) is that maybe he was smart enough to play it cool in order to get evidence to turn in before it was deleted. Of course I'm sure he doesn't know about flight logs. Hope that's not the case but personally I wouldn't hand over any videos to people I don't know. But that's me. I just don't trust easily. But if everything was cool then great for you. It's good when people approach pilots with a positive attitude.
****, that would be cold blooded if that ended up being the case.

@threegs I routinely offer and send to people their first "Dronies" when I get approached. Most are mesmerized. I'd estimate that 8/10 stranger encounters are positive in my personal experience

Reactions: threegs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.