Just had a huge scare...

Reaction score
So it's a peaceful evening here in PA and I decided to go for a casual fly around my house and property. I live on a farm so it's quite nice flying around everything with all that room. started the receiver and then the phantom and everything seemed normal. It said that I did have an update but figured I would do it after this flight, so I continued as usual. Flew it up, and down close to the edge of the property. While flying around, everything was normal and going perfect.

I then hear a loud gunshot from the area a little to the left of it and immediately the screen says disconnected and goes black and white. I freaked out thinking someone shot it and it was going to start falling. It is still visible by me and I can see that it's not moving at all, but my app still says disconnected and wont come back. I then try to move it and I didn't know its direction so it moved a random way and I had to keep rotating and guessing until it started to move back to me. Finally I got it to come back to me manually flying it back. Land it, inspect it, and nothing to be found, no gunshot wounds or anything. Could that have just been a freak coincidence or something? After I brought it back, the FPV video seemed to lag a lot more than I'm used to. It's usually very good but not this time. For the rest of the flight close to the house it seemed to lag a lot and kept skipping major frames.

(A couple times while flying, I get a "google services have stopped responding" and the app crashes and recovers in like 3 seconds without effecting flight.)

Also, the last 2 times I have flown this thing, the gimbel seems to be acting up. Whenever I move the right stick to the right or left, to go right or left, the gimbel has not been staying straight. It's been tilting the direction I've been pushing the stick. It's frustrating because I will land it and turn off and back on and it works. So confused as to why that is.

I can't explain the first issue, but the gimble issue sounds like you've switched from follow mode (where the gimbal attempts to compensate for drone movement and keep the camera steady) to fpv mode where it attempts to simulate the exact perspective of the drone -for example tilting the camera in the direction you move. Check your gimble mode in the settings

Reactions: Canadian
Alright, that sounds reasonable. But would it switch automatically? I have never messed with the settings for most of the things and don't ever remember doing that.

Alright, that sounds reasonable. But would it switch automatically? I have never messed with the settings for most of the things and don't ever remember doing that.
no but you hit the button on the bottom of the remote accidentally. The disconnect could be overheat issues from your tablet for example.

check for bird shot a bird shot hole--they are pretty small-- that gun blast was an amazing coincidence if you lost signal at the blast.

check for bird shot a bird shot hole--they are pretty small-- that gun blast was an amazing coincidence if you lost signal at the blast.
That's what I'm saying. The second that gun went off I lost connection. I'll look more carefully just to make sure. Also my Nexus 7 (2013) was pretty dang hot so it could have been that though. But I've never had a problem with overheating on that thing yet after around 20 flights.

That's what I'm saying. The second that gun went off I lost connection. I'll look more carefully just to make sure. Also my Nexus 7 (2013) was pretty dang hot so it could have been that though. But I've never had a problem with overheating on that thing yet after around 20 flights.
it would be possible for a bird shot pellet to enter the hull through a vent hole-- unlikely-- yes, but so is a gunshot and no then no connection.

I think ppl are missing the more important issue here. You aren't concerned at all that someone is firing a gun around your property?
If we "don't" hear gunshots around the farm, there's something amiss, no doubt! We yanks are funny that way. :D

Reactions: SENC

The app has a glitch that tends to change settings without you knowing.

I dont have people taking shots at mine, but I flew today and my shield did the same thing. Locked up, said disconnected and I just brought it back. I have a ipad mini 2, but Im probably going to put mine back in the case till they give us a android app update.

I dont have people taking shots at mine, but I flew today and my shield did the same thing. Locked up, said disconnected and I just brought it back. I have a ipad mini 2, but Im probably going to put mine back in the case till they give us a android app update.
That's the thing that starts to make me sick. Paying $1,300 for something an being afraid to fly it because it has a couple problems makes me even more sick. I understand what your saying but in no way should it be like that. I know that not everything is perfect but with the things you can do with this, it almost has to be perfect.

I'm going to just keep flying around in LOS and not passed the point where it't not visible for a while to see how everything handles to be safe. Not worth the risk going far whenever I don't really need to.

If we "don't" hear gunshots around the farm, there's something amiss, no doubt! We yanks are funny that way. :D
Pretty much the same across the South as in the Southwest, and a major reason I choose to live where I do. My neighbors don't think twice when I go plinking on "the back forty", and I don't about them. One nice thing, hpp, about growing up with and around guns and communities that keep and use them regularly, is that owners know what guns can do and are typically very respectful and extremely safety conscious with them - so we don't have a lot of the irrational fears (not saying you are irrational, btw) those who aren't regularly around them may have. Anyway, if I'd have heard shots while flying my bird yesterday, I would have more likely flown towards the shooting to grab some pictures for my neighbors than I would away.

Also the reason I'm glad I live where I do. The chances of being shot down by gunfire here in the Hudson Valley are not even a blip on the "possibility" scale. You hear gunfire here (never), you call the police. ;-)

Reactions: Luis Costa and SENC
That's the thing that starts to make me sick. Paying $1,300 for something an being afraid to fly it because it has a couple problems makes me even more sick. I understand what your saying but in no way should it be like that. I know that not everything is perfect but with the things you can do with this, it almost has to be perfect.

I'm going to just keep flying around in LOS and not passed the point where it't not visible for a while to see how everything handles to be safe. Not worth the risk going far whenever I don't really need to.

I dont mind putting it back in the case.. I lost a 10k quad years ago from a bad DJI M series FC when tney first came out, so I dont push my need to fly with this little one. I use it to get certain shots for media. Its just a tool for me. I prefer flying planes as far as a rc hobby goes, but really its RC anything at anytime can go wrong.

There are already posts and youtube videos of the Phantom taking AA fire and one being downed that I know of. There are rednecks everywhere that would and will take a shot at it given the chance-- probably some for no good reason.. if I'm flying and I hear gunshots, then I am declaring a flight emergency-- and the Phantom in RTH.. :D:D

There are already posts and youtube videos of the Phantom taking AA fire and one being downed that I know of. There are rednecks everywhere that would and will take a shot at it given the chance-- probably some for no good reason.. if I'm flying and I hear gunshots, then I am declaring a flight emergency-- and the Phantom in RTH.. :D:D
Then the weekend of 9/18 is a time to plan to do something else! Opening weekend for the south zone! I'll be an hour or so west of you.

Then the weekend of 9/18 is a time to plan to do something else! Opening weekend for the south zone! I'll be an hour or so west of you.
for sure!! maybe I will just go shot some birds with feathers.:D:D

worthless.gif

Thank God for open season in NC.. they need to make a thermal phantom version so I can see where everything is bedding down..
*** I can tell you if I was taking a shot at a quad.. I wouldnt miss, I'm just sayin' ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20