Just got Talked to by the COPS!!!!

Reaction score
I have a FC40 Phantom and I was testing out the the WIFI range with the New Amped repter ,
Well what happen is that the neighbor was down the road said that I was filming there kids that happen to be outside at the time. this broke out to a big ordeal ,to where the son of the house hopped in his truck and hunted me down to talk **** to me for being a (pedifile). I live in Tennessee and I have the right to fly on my property , After a lot a **** talk and threats to me and my wife, they left but they stated that they Knew the law and said that I was in violelation of there rights . after about 2 hours a Cop knocked on the door , said that we needed to go outside and talk about my (flying machine) The cop told me that I have no rights to fly my quad at our around my house and that I could only fly at a AMA air flied, I ask the cop what law did I break and what was i being question for, (they could not give me a answer) the cop ending up telling if i fly my quad again that he what get me for (harassment) and book me at the county jail. So there you go I have No Idea what to do , there is no law about flying my quad and my neighbor are just feeling off the drone **** , any help would be great

Thanks
Michael

Re: Just got busted by the COPS!!!!

I would "POLITELY" go down to the police dept and maybe city hall and ask for a defined law stating that you can't fly your quad in your neighborhood. Key word is politely. No attitude, just inquiring and mention that a law enforcement officer threatened you with possible harassment charges. Bring the quad w/you maybe some video on your phone and show them you're not invading anyone's privacy.

It seems that perhaps the thing to do would have been to show them the footage. We wi all feel the heat from the irresponsible users out there unfortunately. Get the police officers details and make a complaint to his supervising officers. They have to know what law you are breaking to threaten to imprisson you.

They should like.. rewrite the constitution and add "The right to fly quads." on the bottom.

But anyways, that's really unfortunate.

Hopefully it doesn't end up like the movie "Homefront.".

they said i could no longer fly because my neighbors are filing a civil suite against me

I'd be interested in seeing how successful your neighbors are going to be filing a civil suit for flying your quad.

Ah well in that case I'd wait for the result of you're case. Seems you could file a defamation case. If they are calling you a paedophile they need to prove it

Where exactly were you flying it in relation to the neighbor's propery/kids? I'm not suggesting he was right, just curious what it took exactly to set him off. Also, what part of the state are you in?

I would seriously think about changing the name of this thread. Busted implies guilt. Also be careful with what info you do disclose lest it be used against you.

Must be growing weed in his backyard.

well it's not like the government are filming them

haha

Probably pass through more cctv cameras and satellite imagery in an hour than they see of a quad in a year :lol:

Everyone is a freaking pedo and privacy violator these days. I recommend to just wait and not to worry too much about this case.
People get freaked out too fast or just want to have something to complain about.

Had a "disturbed" neighbor. He was a little more neighborly about it. My son was flying his FC40 around the neighborhood. I had given him some ground rules of staying at least 100 feet up and NOT hovering, but he is 13 and saw his buddies down the block, so he dropped to about 60 feet in a hover.

The neighbor was in his backyard nearby, and could see the thing just hanging there. He approached my son, and then me, about the drone. He told me he didn't like the idea of a flying camera over his house because it was dangerous and an invasion of his privacy.

I calmly told him I understood, and told him we will no hover in the neighborhood by his house, and that our new "minimum" altitude would be 200 feet. I then invited him in to show him what some footage looked like. I think he was fairly impressed, but had to keep playing the irate card he laid on the table. I told him it was my 13 year old's remote control helicopter with a camera... not a spy drone, but that I would make sure my son abided by the new minimums. That seemed to placate him.

Having a camera fly over your backyard where your children are playing is a little disconcerting, I admit. Satellites are out of sight, and the degraded images shown on google maps aren't too threatening. Having a flying camera hover over your house under 100 feet could be quite scary, especially one that sounds like a 10 pound hornet's nest. It could very easily be called disturbing the peace. Did you break an FAA law? No. Was your neighbors peace disturbed? Probably.

Maybe a pie and video clip would placate him, but with guns involved, I'd just fly in another direction and high enough to be quiet and not disturb the peace. I would talk to the police chief with a copy of the AMA guidelines, the FAA advisory, and a video clip. The thing is quieter than a leaf blower or lawn mower, so you do have the law on your side.

Hello. New here and a new Phantom 1 owner. I have been reading the posts here and I'll add my thoughts. As far as the privacy thing..I would say don't expect privacy when you are outside. Anyone can take your picture by any means as long as you do not invade their space. I know many live in the city and want to fly their quads....BUT....to fly over someone elses property does come with risks to their safety, plus it can be annoying to them. I fly rc but I don't want someone constantly buzzing over my head. You are flying in a wifi saturated area and that can create problems with some rc equipment. Why take the chance. If you want to test your craft, do it in your yard, keep it low and slow, or take it to a park or field. That's being responsible. I would say the only way they could stop you from flying in your neighborhood would be to say you are putting the public at risk and being annoying. I can understand that.

Weird that you guys can even fly over backyards...Here in largest parts of europe we have no permission to fly over crowds of people and over linked buildings.

Just a suggestion.
Go pay a visit to the county sheriff. Take along a copy of the recent NTSB ruling over the FAA case.
Explain to the sheriff there are no current laws, either federally, or in the state, prohibiting the use of drones outside of one's property.
Then ask politely, what exactly are the current laws in the state restricting flights to AMA approved airfields?
I would also point out that the sheriff needs to inform his deputies as to what the laws are, precisely.
Not what the deputies think they are because that kind of law enforcement will only get the sheriff and deputy into a civil suit.
Which he does not want to happen.

Years ago, thinking I knew the law too, I saw a guy riding his little 50cc motorcycle on the sidewalk and had a little chat with him about it. Then I asked a friend of mine who was a deputy sheriff what the law was on that. He found out and said that as long as the bike was being driven under 25mph that was legal. So the next time I saw the guy, I let him know that.

My rule for the laws: when you know for a fact the officer is totally wrong, challenge him in court.
Arm yourself with the facts and the judge will have no choice but to dismiss the case.
It is your right! Exercise it.

I can really sympathize with the Phantom owner because I can't stand ignorant people that knock on my door. I'm also easily road raged with other stupid drivers.

In this case although we are not breaking any laws and chances of prosecution is minimal... I don't think we should be blatently flying around low altitudes giving ignorant people ammunition to file complaints.

I do fly a phantom around my property usually just to test any modification that I made. I am a AMA member but i do not want to push the issue of any liability issue that may arise. I do fly at least a 100m up. Its fun to fly at night and watch people in their cars drive by and look up with the WTF look in their face like they saw a UFO. It's usually high enough where people can't complain that I am filming anyone or invading any privacy.

It is a natural knee jerk reaction... I showed a group of Gen Y'ers at my sons party and one of the young ladies commented, "I'll kill you if I see that drone flying around my backyard." I explained to her what I use it for and understand how she felt.

We shouldn't get defensive and we should also respect others opinions and feelings. If this happened to me... i'm sure at first I may react angry but I would attempt a reasonable conversation and honestly tell the person don't worry I won't be around his property ever again. simple solution. If he continued I would just end convo... close the door and call the police on him for trespassing.

No need to fuel their ignorance and if they are the type to file a complaint or lawsuit that will happen regardless. This is not the first or last time these issues will come up. from here on they will get worse and worse as we get new drone owners. It is very likely that both sides will stand their ground and very likely we will see changes to State and local legislation against Drone owners.

Yes... protect your rights, but why do we have to push the issue and be in their faces with the attitude, "nanny nanny boo boo... there are no laws against what I am doing and I haven't broken the law so GFY!"? I'm not saying that anyone in particular did that but everyone gets defensive and it escalates to that. Not very productive and in the end it hurts us "drone owners"

I used to be fly Nitro RC Helis back in the day... I wouldn't get caught dead flying it in my backyard let alone in a crowded park. We get offended when we call this a toy. OK so let's treat it like the machine it is. Problem is... back in the day when we had these machines they weren't so easy to fly. You went to a hobby shop and were mentored to learn how to fly and simple rules to protect the hobby and yourself.

Now it's affordable... you don't need to know much to modify one. It's ready to fly with advanced features. Anyone can just order it online and have it delivered to their house. Don't you see the issues that need to be dealt with? DJI put in "No Fly" Zones to protect their interest. They allow you to be able to still install the 2.0 firmware but with a disclaimer. for the same reasons Drone owners have to think logically how to create their own code of conduct to protect OUR hobby and their own interests.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4