Just got my P3A... now what?! :)

The state of GEO will certainly influence my decision on the acquisition of a future P4. I am hopeful custom firmware will become available to eliminate the annoyance factor of self-validating every three days. Or perhaps the system will become such a nuisance & turn-off to purchasers that it will be modified.

Another important factor to consider with 1.6 vs. earlier versions like 1.3/1.4 is the substantial performance hit imposed to band-aid 1.5's battery issue.
[/QUOTE]

Where would one find documentation about the firmware issues version by version? I knew that 1.5 had snuck in Geo based on all the gripes around here. Han't heard about the battery issue. Is there a FW details thread? My P3A should arrive tomorrow (at least thats what FedEx says is the projected date). Not sure what FW it has or will have. How do you know what version FW it has?

And my intention is to fly it out of the box first. That was always my intention. Then I was going to see about updating things. That is if I thought I needed to. When I buy a new motherboard, updating the BIOS is not my first move. Its to fire it up and test it. Then if there is a problem, a BIOS update might be on the radar.

Same goes for the app. First I will fly it with GO. See how that works because all the videos and tutorials are based on that. Then I will grab Litchi and give it a run. After all, how will I know if its better or worse if I don't get some experience with GO first and have something to base the comparison on?

If it works like the Vision+ NFZs when you reach the perimeter you will see an alert & it won't allow you to proceed further into the zone. You can fly away & out of the zone.

What's the scenario if you are flying near a nfz and you fly into the radius. What's happens to the drone? Does it automatically navigate out? Give you warnings but still let you enter? I know if your within you can't take off but nothing has been said about flying into one????

I don't know if there is a comprehensive change log available with the specific changes between version. DJI doesn't actually document all of the changes either.

To find out what version is on your Phantom you need to install the Go App. If you are running Android I would probably try one of the older version like 2.4.0- 2.4.3. As far as aircraft firmware, mine arrive with 1.3.20 this ran fine. 1.4.10 adds 2.7K video setting for the Advanced/Pro & enables all of the IOC features. I am currently running 1.4. I haven't noticed the drifting issue I have seen mentioned but I only have a couple of flights since updating.

1.5 apparently came with a battery bug that could cause the battery to shut down mid-flight under certain situations. Obviously this would have bad results for the Phantom. 1.6 "fixed" the battery issue by reducing performance in cold weather though I have read reports of it affecting Phantom performance in warmer climates too.

Where would one find documentation about the firmware issues version by version? I knew that 1.5 had snuck in Geo based on all the gripes around here. Han't heard about the battery issue. Is there a FW details thread? My P3A should arrive tomorrow (at least thats what FedEx says is the projected date). Not sure what FW it has or will have. How do you know what version FW it has?

And my intention is to fly it out of the box first. That was always my intention. Then I was going to see about updating things. That is if I thought I needed to. When I buy a new motherboard, updating the BIOS is not my first move. Its to fire it up and test it. Then if there is a problem, a BIOS update might be on the radar.

Same goes for the app. First I will fly it with GO. See how that works because all the videos and tutorials are based on that. Then I will grab Litchi and give it a run. After all, how will I know if its better or worse if I don't get some experience with GO first and have something to base the comparison on?

I don't know if there is a comprehensive change log available with the specific changes between version. DJI doesn't actually document all of the changes either.

To find out what version is on your Phantom you need to install the Go App. If you are running Android I would probably try one of the older version like 2.4.0- 2.4.3. As far as aircraft firmware, mine arrive with 1.3.20 this ran fine. 1.4.10 adds 2.7K video setting for the Advanced/Pro & enables all of the IOC features. I am currently running 1.4. I haven't noticed the drifting issue I have seen mentioned but I only have a couple of flights since updating.

1.5 apparently came with a battery bug that could cause the battery to shut down mid-flight under certain situations. Obviously this would have bad results for the Phantom. 1.6 "fixed" the battery issue by reducing performance in cold weather though I have read reports of it affecting Phantom performance in warmer climates too.

I kinda meant community reports. Obviously DJI isn't going to post a changelog saying whats broke in what version. I want the IOC stuff like POI and Wayponts (though I think WP is almost worthless given you have to fly it first which is why Litchi is on my radar).

So for now, I am taking it that 1.4 is what should be flown until they get the bugs with the battery and performance figured out?

****. Seems they forgot the user guide in the box! I have the quick start guide.... but no 'user guide'. Off to the DJI site to hunt it down.
Lol. You'll have to d/l And print the Manual. About 30 pages, as I recall. You'd think a $1000+ toy would come with a manual, huh?

Private pilot (ASEL). Phantom 3A. Flies on the beach in Florida.

1.4 would be my recommendation.

I kinda meant community reports. Obviously DJI isn't going to post a changelog saying whats broke in what version. I want the IOC stuff like POI and Wayponts (though I think WP is almost worthless given you have to fly it first which is why Litchi is on my radar).

So for now, I am taking it that 1.4 is what should be flown until they get the bugs with the battery and performance figured out?

Reactions: Wolfiesden

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj