Just got my P2V+!! What is the transmitter/fpv range stock?

Reaction score
So I just got my P2V+ last week and I've flown it a bit so far. Last night I adjusted my my altitude and distance limits and I noticed that the distance limit was preset at exactly 1 mile. What exactly is the range of the transmitter and range of the wifi FPV out of the box? I have seen a couple youtube videos of people flying 3-4 miles out without loosing a signal! I don't need that kind of range, but 1 mile would be amazing...are there any simple mods I could do to achieve this for both the transmitter and fpv and how much would it run cost wise?

Also here is a short video I threw together of my first weekend with my new quad!
Check it out! http://youtu.be/ebi1KLL2PGw

Re: Just got my P2V+!! What is the transmitter/fpv range st

Distance depends on location and how much interference.

As a benchmark you can compare with mine when I first got it. My stock FPV was 1,701 ft at 350 altitude and at that point i brought it back home.
My best was 7,000 with the mods at a place with no tree and miles away from other wifi source cruising at 400ft. It could go further but I got scared and paranoid.

I see, so in general do you think that the horizontal range is greater at 400 ft rather than it would be at 100ft just do to line of site and being clear of any obstructions?

LOS is a definite factor in maximizing range.

The radio signal scatters as it strikes objects on it's way to your a/c (multi-path).
If there is an unobstructed path between the Tx & Rx then there is little to perterb and degrade the signal.

I see, so what mods do you guys reccomend to boost my range? I would prefer something simple to install...

I just got mine too, my wifi loses signal at 600 feet and control signal around the same, pretty pathetic !

I usually get 800 meters (2600ft), sometimes more.
My best was ~8500 meters away on an open beach at about 50-60 meters high.
I lost the Wifi but still had control. It was too far away to see so I had to use RTH but the video showed my control inputs before I initiated RTH.

I use the "FVP Booster" and/or "Vision+ Utility" to boost WiFi power on the Phantom and range extender but the hardware is stock.
I'm always in rural or isolated areas. Never flown in the city.

yrusoslowh0e said:
I see, so in general do you think that the horizontal range is greater at 400 ft rather than it would be at 100ft just do to line of site and being clear of any obstructions?
Yes. LOS is necessary. At any significant range, even a tree blocking your view of the Phantom will block the radio signals.
Rule of thumb is the further away you get the more altitude you need to stay clear of trees and buildings.
Even if it's too far away to see, you need to be able to (theoretically) see it with a telescope.
If it passes behind a tree or the corner of a building, you'll lose signal.
The WiFi signal is Bi-Directional so you have to receive what the Phantom is transmitting and the Phantom has to receive you.

clayton4115 said:
I just got mine too, my wifi loses signal at 600 feet and control signal around the same, pretty pathetic !
Check that your antennas are pointing the right direction.
The Phantom control receiver antennas are the vertical wires in the landing gear legs. The antenna of the transmitter should be parallel to the receiver antennas.
Do not point the antenna end toward the Phantom. Bend the TX antenna so it's vertical pointing at the sky and you should be able to get 1000 ft or more.

As for the WiFi signal, the range extender should be pointing at the Phantom. Angle it up if needed so the flat face is facing the Phantom.
The Phantom WiFi antennas are on the left and right side so you'll get a better signal if one side of the Phantom is facing you.

If your antennas are oriented correctly, your unit could be defective or you are in an area with high interference on these channels. Try flying somewhere out in the country away from WiFi signals.

Chet said:
Distance depends on location and how much interference.
As a benchmark you can compare with mine when I first got it. My stock FPV was 1,701 ft at 350 altitude ......
+1
Flying 100% stock:
Next to me is an abandon golf course which I can fly over but is surrounded by lots of homes, apartments, and trees - LOS, at any height. I can't get more than 700' distance.
But, further away is nice, large open land, no dwellings, short to no trees - LOS, 300' up, I get 1600+' distance.
In my observations surrounding Density and Interference is definitely a factor.

I'd say the above distances are far more typical than the lucky bastar ..er..ah I mean, lucky few who somehow get a mile stock. :mrgreen:

clayton4115 said:
Check that your antennas are pointing the right direction.
The Phantom control receiver antennas are the vertical wires in the landing gear legs. The antenna of the transmitter should be parallel to the receiver antennas.
Do not point the antenna end toward the Phantom. Bend the TX antenna so it's vertical pointing at the sky and you should be able to get 1000 ft or more.

As for the WiFi signal, the range extender should be pointing at the Phantom. Angle it up if needed so the flat face is facing the Phantom.
The Phantom WiFi antennas are on the left and right side so you'll get a better signal if one side of the Phantom is facing you.

If your antennas are oriented correctly, your unit could be defective or you are in an area with high interference on these channels. Try flying somewhere out in the country away from WiFi signals.[/quote]

Yes thanks took it out again and got 300 metres with good wifi before i went behind some trees / houses.

From DJI specs
Communication Distance (open area) CE Compliance: 400m; FCC Compliance: 800m
But there are lots of variables that can give you more or less than that.
The geometry of the angles between your Tx and Phantom antennas is a very big factor.
The most I've managed was 3200 ft but sometimes it's a stretch to get past 1800 ft.

Having watched loads of video's im convinced that the 2.4 ghz Phantom2 not vision is far better at longer range than my P2V+.
I am not talikng fpv here just control range my fpv is still strong @ 2000ft but i usually lose control signal and thats with upgraded antennas on both the p2v+ and the controler.Time for an amp i think .

Meta4 said:
From DJI specs
Communication Distance (open area) CE Compliance: 400m; FCC Compliance: 800m
But there are lots of variables that can give you more or less than that.
The geometry of the angles between your Tx and Phantom antennas is a very big factor.
The most I've managed was 3200 ft but sometimes it's a stretch to get past 1800 ft.

the 3,200 ft your talking about is stock out of the box with both wifi fpv and transmitter signal? I flew last night in the mountains behind my house and it seemed I got a much better distance up there vs in congested areas. I was able to get about 1,200 ft before the wifi started lagging.

Hey so I'm seeing a lot about these stage 2, stage 3, and stage 4 range upgrades! Are these pretty clunky looking? I'm looking for something that looks clean and still fits in my Phantom Backpack case cuz I need to be able to carry it on airplanes as I travel often! What do you guys think?

I think they look pretty cool, but that's just me. I have the stage 1 and 2.

Remember if you're going to mod; it will VOID your WARRANTY keep that in mind. I really suggest you let the warranty run out first before attempting any mods.

However if you're going to mod, you have to ask yourself what are you trying to accomplish?

1. More FPV range?
or
2. More Control range?
Currently the Stock FPV range will drop before the transmitter does, so perhaps you just want more FPV range to match the range of the controller?

Even with the mods it will not penetrate thick trees and bushes so keep that in mind. This is for LOS increase only.
I don't recommend the booster app because my personal experience with it. It overheated my wifi module and i had to get a new one.

I had to cut some of the foam in my "Go Professional" case to fit the copter and controller with all the mods installed. I can't say for backpack though because I don't own one.

one of my customers sent me a photo after i did a FPVLR stage 4 on his Vision+
he was able to get a little over 17000 when RTH kicked in

Attachments

• 15400_10206394741654539_2510443187571612713_n.jpg
    15400_10206394741654539_2510443187571612713_n.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 423

hunch said:
one of my customers sent me a photo after i did a FPVLR stage 4 on his Vision+
he was able to get a little over 17000 when RTH kicked in

So are you working on it to fix the lack of range or what?? :p

Thats awesome Hani!

I have another statistic that I feel is important to mention...That's the flight times for a P2V+ with the added weight of all the "Stage IV" Antenna's, you are talking about. The following address is from a recent flight to my "FLY-TREX" page. TWO FLIGHTS: Time: 24:43 & 21:46,(landed both with at least 15% battery Power left) Also Note that:: **This Drone also has the added weight of a LED "head-light" & "wrap-around" LED Light, combined with a stainless steel toggle switch + Inline switch that allows you to control your LED light settings (more on that invention later) also the Carbon-Fiber "Gimbel-Protection-Guard", plus two plastic "Gimbel-Ribbon-Wire" Guards/protectors, and the Drones shell has the "Hydro-Dip" treatment (I'm sure that adds some weight). So my point is with all that added weight I still had the following flight time shown in the attached "Fly-Trex" address

http://www.flytrex.com/lee.barret.92/

MOOSE

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4