Just got my new SJ4000 - Impressed

Reaction score
Ordered a SJ4000 ActionCam from B&H Photo last week and got it yesterday. Took it up for the first test flight today and I must say I'm impressed.

I was glad to see B&H shipped me the latest most updated one so I'm really glad I went with them.

The feel of the camera is of good quality. All the controls and buttons feel solid. I know they had some issues in the past but the feel and look now is that the quality is up where it needs to be. VERY good.

Operation is very smooth and intuitive. Easy to operate and get going. I used the INVERT feature for this video and a snapshot taken from the video is below.

Video I would say is on par with any 1080P video. Very sharp and clear and the colors are extremely vivid and true. The winds where a bit breezy at 10 - 15 knots but the video was very close to being as stable as some of the gimbal mounted videos I've seen. Absolutely tolerable if for hobby use.
If you don't require "epic" videos for studio use, a P1 with a SJ4000 would probably work great for you.
And for a total investment of $344.00 including the Phantom and 1080P camera, you won't be broken in case of the unthinkable.

SJ400ImageTest_zpsjcyyftmr.jpg

The menu on the camera is good with many options and features available and easy to use and configure.

The package included everything needed to attach to my P1 with no problems and there were a lot of other attachment accessories included.

SJ4000contents_zpsvtucxs2a.jpg

If you had reservations about the camera I would say put them to rest. Outstanding value.

Price delivered to me was $69.00 (I opted for the non WiFi model)

i ordered the Xiaomi Yi for $87 (includes WiFi). i am very impressed with these GoPro knockoffs. the video and photos that this thing takes are amazing. very much worth the money.

Ordered a SJ4000 ActionCam from B&H Photo last week and got it yesterday. Took it up for the first test flight today and I must say I'm impressed.

I was glad to see B&H shipped me the latest most updated one so I'm really glad I went with them.

The feel of the camera is of good quality. All the controls and buttons feel solid. I know they had some issues in the past but the feel and look now is that the quality is up where it needs to be. VERY good.

Operation is very smooth and intuitive. Easy to operate and get going. I used the INVERT feature for this video and a snapshot taken from the video is below.

Video I would say is on par with any 1080P video. Very sharp and clear and the colors are extremely vivid and true. The winds where a bit breezy at 10 - 15 knots but the video was very close to being as stable as some of the gimbal mounted videos I've seen. Absolutely tolerable if for hobby use.
If you don't require "epic" videos for studio use, a P1 with a SJ4000 would probably work great for you.
And for a total investment of $344.00 including the Phantom and 1080P camera, you won't be broken in case of the unthinkable.

The menu on the camera is good with many options and features available and easy to use and configure.

The package included everything needed to attach to my P1 with no problems and there were a lot of other attachment accessories included.

If you had reservations about the camera I would say put them to rest. Outstanding value.

Like the quote on your profile. The little people are always battling their neighbors, when they should be battling their oppressors.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Yes....BUT...some people feel better if it says "Gucci"...or "GoPro"
Truth be told, my $70 SJ4000 is a very good match for the $300 GoPro.
After months of comparison, the video and photos are comparable with minor differences in image quality.
The GoPro creates slightly better images under some conditions and the SJ4000 does an awesome job in others from my experience.
Both are more than enough for most intents and purposes (unless you are a professional photographer. I'm not)

Great camera rubbish upload software always hit and miss if it works

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I too am quite impressed with the SJ4000. I've had two now, first one lost in an unrecoverable crash in March of 2015. I couldn't believe at first the quality of the videos when compared to the $300+ GoPros. I don't use it for photos, just FPV and video recording of some flights. All the included accessories were great and every part was quality. The only downside for me was the firmware update that allowed the ability to remove OSD from the camera, which was great, but at the same time, changed the function of the buttons. I've scoured the Internet for a later firmware version, like maybe what's on the newest cameras, but haven't been able to find anything.

So for my P1.1.1 loaded with full FPV gear, it's definitely five stars.

I too am quite impressed with the SJ4000. I've had two now, first one lost in an unrecoverable crash in March of 2015. I couldn't believe at first the quality of the videos when compared to the $300+ GoPros. I don't use it for photos, just FPV and video recording of some flights. All the included accessories were great and every part was quality. The only downside for me was the firmware update that allowed the ability to remove OSD from the camera, which was great, but at the same time, changed the function of the buttons. I've scoured the Internet for a later firmware version, like maybe what's on the newest cameras, but haven't been able to find anything.
So for my P1.1.1 loaded with full FPV gear, it's definitely five stars.

Not to mention your 1.1.1 isn't mangled with all the FW updates, restrictions and headaches and is darn near equal to a P3A (but flies better) :)
In some respects, the P1 is the new P4. Holding on to mine too.

I wasn't aware of the update to remove OSD. Does that make it easier to get into video mode?

Not to mention your 1.1.1 isn't mangled with all the FW updates, restrictions and headaches and is darn near equal to a P3A (but flies better)

AMEN to that! It has all the features I need for FUN!

I wasn't aware of the update to remove OSD. Does that make it easier to get into video mode?

Yes, yes, and yes. Removal of the OSD from the camera makes all the functions easier, for me at least. But like I mentioned, most all the button functions change. The top button doesn't work at all with this "update", and the "down arrow" button becomes the "function" or "execute" button. It took a while to learn how to use it in its new configuration, and I do like the original setup better, BUT getting rid of all that OSD (on screen dung) has made it all worth it.

Now, after the almost catastrophic event I suffered yesterday, I like only one add-on better than my SJ4000, ...and that's the TRACKIMO! Yesterday I had a real live "flyaway" with a P1.1.1. Yep, lost all control of any kind. No FS/RTH, no HL, no throttle, no navs with the right stick, and it hauled tail in the opposite direction of home point when I shut off the transmitter. If it had not been for the Trackimo, which I hardwired to the flight battery via the charging cable and a BUC converter, it would have been another total loss. But with only a satellite image printout on paper of its location (I have a hate/hate relationship with smart phones), I walked right to the spot where it was located (over 1km away), and the Trackimo website showed 100% battery, in case I couldn't get to it right away. I know this is off the original topic. I just can't believe I actually listened to my wife when I got the replacement Phantom and she said, "Better not fly that one without a locator!" And I'll never take off again without the good ole Trackimo fired up.

Fly safe/fly happy

AMEN to that! It has all the features I need for FUN!

Yes, yes, and yes. Removal of the OSD from the camera makes all the functions easier, for me at least. But like I mentioned, most all the button functions change. The top button doesn't work at all with this "update", and the "down arrow" button becomes the "function" or "execute" button. It took a while to learn how to use it in its new configuration, and I do like the original setup better, BUT getting rid of all that OSD (on screen dung) has made it all worth it.

Now, after the almost catastrophic event I suffered yesterday, I like only one add-on better than my SJ4000, ...and that's the TRACKIMO! Yesterday I had a real live "flyaway" with a P1.1.1. Yep, lost all control of any kind. No FS/RTH, no HL, no throttle, no navs with the right stick, and it hauled tail in the opposite direction of home point when I shut off the transmitter. If it had not been for the Trackimo, which I hardwired to the flight battery via the charging cable and a BUC converter, it would have been another total loss. But with only a satellite image printout on paper of its location (I have a hate/hate relationship with smart phones), I walked right to the spot where it was located (over 1km away), and the Trackimo website showed 100% battery, in case I couldn't get to it right away. I know this is off the original topic. I just can't believe I actually listened to my wife when I got the replacement Phantom and she said, "Better not fly that one without a locator!" And I'll never take off again without the good ole Trackimo fired up.

Fly safe/fly happy

Smart move. I'm surprised people still fly without at least SOME kinf od tracking device. A TK102B is only around $20.00
I wouldn't dare fly without a tracking device on my p1 or p3
Now as far as the flyaway. WHAT!?! Any idea what happened?
What FW version are you on?
Are you 100% certain the home point was set properly?
Check the voltage on ALL 4 batteries in the transmitter. I've had one instance where 3 were at 1.48v and ONE was at 1.22v causing a loss of transmitter output.

Are you using the stock GPS? I upgraded mine to a M8N Glonass unit. I love it.
I get 16 sats regularly now. It also eliminates the stock compass and using a much upgraded built in compass so I'm hopeful I've eliminated the flyaway possibility for the most part.

Last edited:
Now as far as the flyaway. WHAT!?! Any idea what happened?

The only thing that enters the realm of possibility for me is that about a week ago, I had a crash from about 40 to 60 feet up. It was when I was recovering from "just one more" roll in Manual Mode and I was too low :(, waaaaaaaaay to low :oops::oops::oops:, but HAD to do just one more. So anyway, it hit the ground at about a 45 degree angle, flipped over on its lid, ruined one motor, and the fact that it turned over and hit, makes me think it may have sustained a GPS antenna crack, or worse, a break. I'm repairing the prop guards now from yesterday's mishap, so I'll be cracking the shell (actually, opening the shell) before I fly again to inspect the Geeper antenna.

What FW version are you on?

Best I can remember the last time I was in Assistant, it said 4.02 with no update needed.

Are you 100% certain the home point was set properly?

Here's how sure I am. The first powerup gave me the diminishing red LEDs until all single greens, then the 20 fast greens, but then I never got the second 20 fast greens. So being the cautious type (except in Manual Mode :eek:), I disconnected and reconnected the power for another startup sequence. This time I got nine sats and both sets of 20 greens. So YEP, I'm certain my HP was good.

Check the voltage on ALL 4 batteries in the transmitter

I just charged all four transmitter batts and have only had two or three flights on that set. Normally I get in excess of 22 flights before a blinking red LED on the transmitter. And even if the batteries had caused the transmitter to puke, it should have gone into FS/RTH.

Are you using the stock GPS? I upgraded mine to a M8N Glonass unit. I love it.
I get 16 sats regularly now. It also eliminates the stock compass and using a much upgraded built in compass so I'm hopeful I've eliminated the flyaway possibility for the most part.

Yes, stock Geeper antenna. But after reading a number of posts on the Glonass, and your recommendation, it sounds like something to consider. Besides, after upgrading nearly every feature on the P1.1.1, I'm Jonesing for an upgrade on something, so it looks like this might be it. Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

Rechargeable batteries are 1.2v right?

I only use Alkaline for that reason in the P1. I usually get about 15 - 20 flights before they hit 1.4v and replace them all. As the voltage drops, the circuitry has to work harder to transmit with less voltage. (heat)

Ok, you're probably right. I'm actually relieved to hear there is a likely cause for your flyaway. The previous crash did some harm to the nav system. Go with the Ublox Glonass unit, it's inexpensive, easy to install and works great. Just remember to re-use the shielding. You still need it. :)

I had one of these and found it really good for the money and the quality was fine , i also tried the mobius which i found a lot better i even bought a carbon fibre gopro style case for it so it would fit in the p1.1.1 camera holder and the software was primitive but really good

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Rechargeable batteries are 1.2v right?

Yes, Duracell Rechargeable 1.2v 2000mAh, but I only had 2 or 3 flights on that set which usually gives 22+ flights. But batteries notwithstanding, it still should have gone into RTH when I turned the transmitter off. Looking into the Ublox now.

Thanks...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj