Just got a DJI FC40

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got a DJI from my sister for my birthday. I wasn't expecting such a nice gift from her although I myself thought of getting a drone of sorts not too long ago so it was a pleasant surprise.

I charged the battery and somewhat stupidly did a test flight off my dining room table. Other than a small dent in my drywall it was a nice flight (lesson is to wait for outside time).

Anyway, I'm an engineer and usually pretty good with gadets and the like, but must admit that the phantom is a bit overwhelming. The manual is lacking and the software seems somewhat confusing. Before I take this drone out tomorrow I was wondering if there is anything I should do or know about. Also any upgrades I should purchase at this time?

Thank you

Congrats on the awesome gift! I don't know why you are having difficulty comprehending the manual as I had no problem whatsoever. First thing you want to do is install the software and drivers to your computer, make sure everything is up-to-date and calibrated. You'll want to make sure you thoroughly understand the LED codes, the various control modes (assuming you enable NAZA mode), all of the controls, and how to reassume control should an RTH go into effect. You'll want to do these things BEFORE you actually fly.

Thanks for your reply. I guess there is just a lot of acronyms in the manual and since so much of it is new to me, I'm struggling a bit. I would love a bit more help about understanding the control modes and the RTH flight parameters. I don't see much information in the manual about it although there is quite a bit on the IOC function which I am ignoring for now. I watched a couple video on the LED messages, do you have a recommendation on where to learn more about the RTH setting? Also I did plug it into my computer and clicked the upgrade button, it now has what the software says it the latest firmware. As for enabling NAZA I am not sure I did that or know how to do that.

I'd pour through the posts in the dedicated FC40 forum, here, especially the stickies at the top. Most, if not all your questions will probably be answered there.

Mine didn't even come with a manual.
Long live YOUTUBE :) Helped me basically with every question i could come up with.

Did that also the first day right away.
Still youtube helped more.

If you're prepared to share your location there maybe someone local to you who is prepared to help get you started. Have a scan through the regional meet up section of this forum.

Regards

Nidge

You really need to understand certain bits of the manual which are really important or you will get into trouble very quickly. Firstly Calibrate the compass. Search on YouTube
Second make sure you have a good gps lock and that both switches are fully up, green flashing led (no red flashes) then wait for a continuous burst of green flashes, do not take off before you see this!

Also I wouldn't bother about connecting it to the computer until you have about 10 flights under your belt, because of you can't understand the basic manual there are lots of settings in the naza assistant that you could change and seriously screw up if you don't know what you are doing.

Good luck, this is addictive, but be careful, you could end up with a flyaway.

YouTube is a fantastic tool, look for Simon Newton and Mike H.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik