Just For the Heck of It

Reaction score
This has probably not been discussed before and I am curious. I live 2.1 miles from an AFB and 2.6 miles from the end of the runway. A straight takeoff from Runway 03 puts the aircraft a little over 1.5 miles to my east. The base trains F-16 and F-35 pilots. When the jets are in the pattern for runway 21, the base leg often puts them directly overhead of my yard. This is a view taken during a turn to final (cropped, of course).

7D__6661-M.jpg

Thoughts on how high they would typically be on a base leg?

Reactions: SilverStone641
Don't know how high their visual circuit is, but normally 1500 feet above airfield elevation is a starter.
Turning base leg, the jet would be at1500 feet with a descent being flown at a vertical speed according to the flight manual. At a 3 mile final (assuming that is where they like to line up on final) the height above field elevation would be approximately 900 feet AGL assuming a 3 degree flight path angle. The HUD (Head up display) probably gives the pilot an FPV (flight path vector) as most HUD's provide guidance to the threshold (start of runway). Hope this bit of useless information helps you :D

Reactions: yorlik
Great place to live! I'd be camped on the roof, just to watch the airshow!

Don't know how high their visual circuit is, but normally 1500 feet above airfield elevation is a starter.
Turning base leg, the jet would be at1500 feet with a descent being flown at a vertical speed according to the flight manual. At a 3 mile final (assuming that is where they like to line up on final) the height above field elevation would be approximately 900 feet AGL assuming a 3 degree flight path angle. The HUD (Head up display) probably gives the pilot an FPV (flight path vector) as most HUD's provide guidance to the threshold (start of runway). Hope this bit of useless information helps you :D

All good information. The last time I landed at an airport shared by mil jets was 45 years ago. I'll ask my son who has a pilot/instructor friend who used to work at that base. If the planes are in the described pattern, they are probably lining up 1.5-2 miles. I've seen them cut the downwind so short that they are lining up a few hundred yards from the end of the runway. They also sometimes descend from at least a mile, beginning on the downwind leg.

Reactions: embayweather
It is pretty cool looking at these aircraft but it is a nightmare when you probably wants to take a nap and all these airplanes have to get closer and the noise is so loud. I really would hate living close to airports, military airbase and train stations.

This has probably not been discussed before and I am curious. I live 2.1 miles from an AFB and 2.6 miles from the end of the runway. A straight takeoff from Runway 03 puts the aircraft a little over 1.5 miles to my east. The base trains F-16 and F-35 pilots. When the jets are in the pattern for runway 21, the base leg often puts them directly overhead of my yard. This is a view taken during a turn to final (cropped, of course).

7D__6661-M.jpg

Thoughts on how high they would typically be on a base leg?

We trained in t37 and t38...

Pattern altitude is usually 1,000 AGL. Single piloted fighters & trainers don't typically fly your standard downwind-base-final. It's more of a steady 180 degree turn from downwind to final. When they're "in the groove" from base to final they will be well inside 3 miles from the runway (probably closer to 3/4 mile) and about 400-600 feet.

Reactions: KeithAS
Niiiiice lense Keith, what are you shooting with? 400mm f2.8?

All of those were taken with a Canon 7D or 7D2 and the 100-400, versions 1 or 2. That's my go to combo for most things that fly. Occasionally, I'll use an extender. Speaking of airshows, in 2016, I decided not to go and stand in the sun for hours. I watched a good bit of it from the back yard. Not the sharpest, but it was over 2 miles.
5D3L4856-M.jpg

Reactions: cneedelman
All of those were taken with a Canon 7D or 7D2 and the 100-400, versions 1 or 2. That's my go to combo for most things that fly. Occasionally, I'll use an extender. Speaking of airshows, in 2016, I decided not to go and stand in the sun for hours. I watched a good bit of it from the back yard. Not the sharpest, but it was over 2 miles.
5D3L4856-M.jpg
5D3L4856-M.jpg
Really really nice! My newest hobby is photography and really appreciate the pics!!! I shoot Canon too, T6i while I learn.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie