Just curious what antenna mod YOU are using.. feedback

When I say almost to the "T", I mean having the set to where I can use on remote, on a tripod or the car top. What I'll do different is get cables with the correct ends to keep down all the loss from adapters, and I'll use what I have already to mount to the tripod.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's exactly my plan.. But with RG6... And starting to think it was a mistake. Maybe I'll just go get LLC cable and be done with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I'll probably use LMR240 for anything less than 10' and lmr400 for anything over. Both are 50 Ohm. RG6 is 75 Ohm, but still works. The RG56 that comes with maxxrange is also 50 Ohm. May make a difference in a long run.. idk.

RG6 is not a microwave rated cable. 50' of that is like trying to run a 300 watt amplifier through headphone cable. You'll lose most of your signal through the first few feet. Though it may work on a short run, signal will almost disappear in a long run. LMR cable is microwave rated and is best. IMO, the long runs of RG6 is your problem.

RG6 is not a microwave rated cable. 50' of that is like trying to run a 300 watt amplifier through headphone cable. You'll lose most of your signal through the first few feet. Though it may work on a short run, signal will almost disappear in a long run. LMR cable is microwave rated and is best. IMO, the long runs of RG6 is your problem.

This is exactly what I was thinking... God that sucks .. I mean I guess I could prolly return the cable.. I hope.. And the fittings, those are always good just to have around.. Maybe some day I'll wanna use a small short rg6 cable for a random setup and at least I'll have the adaptors around when I do.. Ok so now I gotta get LMR.. Wonderful. Lol. Just when I thought I was done spending for awhile

I first thought the beeping was like others had posted and ended up being stick calibration, or RC calibration, or RC update... Which all seem to make the RC beep, flash red. After reading more on RG6, I seriously believe it's your problem.

Yah me too man... I really do, it was seriously my FIRST thought after checking the connections and finding them all tight.. Well actually I thought maybe it's too much cable.. But that thought alone led me to start assuming that this cable is just not good enough for the signal transfer.. Cuz 50' isn't all that much. And it shoulda been capable.. But now that i see it's not, then the cable it self must be the issue..

Just odd tho cuz I believe this is what gram used on his setup.. Although he had 8dbi antenna I believe but still..

And thanks for your input. I'm right there with ya with that conclusion. Cuz once I went back to the original cables all was just hunky dory again.. To me that's like a dead give away huh?

This is exactly what I was thinking... God that sucks .. I mean I guess I could prolly return the cable.. I hope.. And the fittings, those are always good just to have around.. Maybe some day I'll wanna use a small short rg6 cable for a random setup and at least I'll have the adaptors around when I do.. Ok so now I gotta get LMR.. Wonderful. Lol. Just when I thought I was done spending for awhile

Now Gram has used it with success.. not sure what he used on the indoor setup, but his tripod setup started as RG6. "But", he's switching to all LMR now. There's a reason.

Are you saying the heavier weight ones are better? Now that I think about it... Too light and it will prolly tip over with any kinda wind .. The panel will act as a sail..

Ok so I have an issue.. My panel works good just connected to my controller as you saw in the pics... So today I figured since it's too cold to Run the cable outside just yet I figured I would do an inside test..
e4e07f7259e9f0b0a9ec3b80f80a9b55.jpg

I used a lamp stand I have to out the antenna on as the "tripod" then ran the rg6 cable from the antenna using coax adaptors for both ends to connect it to the controller.. I turned the controller on and it lit up red light as normal for a few seconds, but before I could get over to my phantom the red light started to flash and the controller would beep as the red light was flashing.. I checked all my contentions which were all finger tight still.. What could be the issue?? Is the cable too long for the transmitter to handle ? Maybe it doesn't have enough power? Or do I need to tighten the connectors with a wrench? I wouldn't think I would have to do that..finger tight is all I ever did with coax cable.. I know the adaptors are correct, or at least they look to be when compairing them to the ends of the cables that came with my clean Install kit.

So what could be the problem?

I tried turning the phantom on anyhow after checking to make sure connections were tight and got no conection (green light) just the red flashing on the controller along with beeps.

Test controller by putting small wifi antennas on it. Check pin/connections. Are adapters orientated correctly? Pin/hole.

That cable should work

Yes the pin side of connector is going Into the antenna , the other end is obviously going into the F cable.. And on the controller side it has the female looking end almost like a pin with a hole.. I put that end into the controller.. And again the f-cable into the other end of the adaptor then tried it.. I know it's not the controller or the antenna, because they were working togeher fine when I used the regular cables that came with the kit.. And then after the f-cables were a no go, and the controller was beeping at me, I put the antenna back onto the controller with the cables I got sent again and it all worked perfectly once again.. So the only things I can think is that it's either I got crap adaptors.. But they look very well made and high grade gold plated.. Or the cable isn't compatable for whatveer reason... Or lastly for some reason maybe the controller alone cannot put out enough power to push it all the way through 50' of F-cable

I've used these connectors to RG-6 with 75ft. cable run. Signal loss, yes, but it did work.

be10a5e000ea1c1ba6a1688a7da8d3fa.jpg
7644ed89226700abe048a52604a71b0a.jpg

The top pic is the ends of the adapters that I thread into the F-cable .. The second pic.. The top adaptor in my hand is the one I thread into my controller, the bottom adaptor is the one I thread into the antenna .. And that's it.. The cable is RG6 quad shield and is brand new from the store.. The tips/core is clean and straight on the cable ends.. And they are also gold plates high quality
a1457463f1137a8185a6ab26e59ae018.jpg

Do you have a voltmeter/continuity tester? Assemble adapters to cable and test continuity. (To check pin seating correctly/signal pass)

Just found a Amazon box on my porch. What could it be? Well it's LMR joy! (These are NOT bend friendly cables) LMR-400.
20170110_171044.jpg
20170110_171136.jpg

Attachments

• 20170110_171044.jpg
    20170110_171044.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: JohnnyB
****.. Idk why I didn't think of that.. I'll do that with the adaptors on.. Tbis will tell me if it's the cables or possibly even the connectors that arnt making a good conection /Cicuit

Just found a Amazon box on my porch. What could it be? Well it's LMR joy! (These are NOT bend friendly cables) LMR-400.View attachment 73048 View attachment 73049

Man those are thick! Look high quality! And yah I bet they are like bending steel lol. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking.. And why did you decide to go to it vs rg6

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4