Just crashed my P3P ... Now "No signal" message

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Well, I can finally write this post after letting the frustration and anger settle a bit ...I crashed 20 min ago, so faster than I expected!... Did I mentioned that I am frustrated ? Ok, is always keep your sense of humor even after bad s***t happens LOL...

So, now to the details of my stupidity...

I flew my P3P for about 9-11 min and when coming back and ready to land I decided to do a hand catch because it was a bit windy but got too close to the top of my gazebo and the wind blew me to the gazebo and one of the prop guards hit it and the P3P lost balance and crashed from about 8-10 feet. When crashed to the floor first it touched the prop guard and the flip over and stayed on for a few seconds until I turned off with the controller. The camera disconnected in two of the articulations (sorry, don't know how else to call it) and the props scratched pretty bad. I took it inside and revised everything, put the camera back together turned on but now I get no image and a "no signal" message on the top middle status. The camera cable looks fine and nothing looks broken other than a few scratches. It took it outside with new props and it flew fine and stable but no image and the same no signal message appeared. I guess I will have to send it to DGI for the repair but want to check with you guys first to see if there is a chance that this might be an easy fix that I can do without going through the hassle of sending the drone to DGI.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Now I tried to record video and take a couple of pics and I can access the pics and videos without any issues but there is no downlink for the image. Please need some guidance here...

Need some feedback here... I don't know if the problem might be the ribbon cable ? It looks like is has a minor scratch in one spot...

Hi guys,

Well, I can finally write this post after letting the frustration and anger settle a bit ...I crashed 20 min ago, so faster than I expected!... Did I mentioned that I am frustrated ? Ok, is always keep your sense of humor even after bad s***t happens LOL...

So, now to the details of my stupidity...

I flew my P3P for about 9-11 min and when coming back and ready to land I decided to do a hand catch because it was a bit windy but got too close to the top of my gazebo and the wind blew me to the gazebo and one of the prop guards hit it and the P3P lost balance and crashed from about 8-10 feet. When crashed to the floor first it touched the prop guard and the flip over and stayed on for a few seconds until I turned off with the controller. The camera disconnected in two of the articulations (sorry, don't know how else to call it) and the props scratched pretty bad. I took it inside and revised everything, put the camera back together turned on but now I get no image and a "no signal" message on the top middle status. The camera cable looks fine and nothing looks broken other than a few scratches. It took it outside with new props and it flew fine and stable but no image and the same no signal message appeared. I guess I will have to send it to DGI for the repair but want to check with you guys first to see if there is a chance that this might be an easy fix that I can do without going through the hassle of sending the drone to DGI.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
What do you mean when you say the camera disconnected.. Did the gimbal mounting plate come loose form the P3.. Explain in more detail, the camera damage or post a picture.

Re-insert your usb cable from the controller to your device, both ends. Nothing to do with a crash but this fixed my issue of No Signal

The gimbal got disconnected at 2 swiveling points and was kept together by the ribbon cable. I was able to put all back together and it looked like there was no damage other than a few minor scratches. Now the camera after the gimbal calibration is not straight and I have no image transmitted to my iPad and the "no signal" message.

Why on earth would you put on blade guards?? Oh, I forgot, so you could fly super close to a gazebo....you are out a ton of cash. Dji will not consider warranties for many reasons, and you covered several

Sounds like the ribbon cable pulled loose at one of the clamp connectors. If there is no signal there should also be a display of fast flashing yellow lights at power up. Also the gimbal should have either one or two on-going audible beeps such as "beep...beep...beep" or "beep beep...beep beep...beep beep".

The short 8-wire cable that plugs into the vps is possibly where your issue is. It's the one that is on the back of the gimbal top.

Sounds like the ribbon cable pulled loose at one of the clamp connectors. If there is no signal there should also be a display of fast flashing yellow lights at power up. Also the gimbal should have either one or two on-going audible beeps such as "beep...beep...beep" or "beep beep...beep beep...beep beep".

The short 8-wire cable that plugs into the vps is possibly where your issue is. It's the one that is on the back of the gimbal top.

I pushed all the connection in including the one on the top you mention but still nothing. I'm going to post a few pics or video shortly with what am seeing to see if you guys might have an idea. Thanks!

Now I did an IMU calibration and removed and insert again the sd card and nothing...

I know this crash was my fault but I would expect a $1,300 gadget to resist this type of fall. This was less than 6 feet height and the prop guards absorbed almost the whole hit. How the gimbal/camera came apart so easily? DJI need to reinforce this gimbals with some type of gimbal guard like those made by third parties now... And by the way, if it wasn't for the prop guards judging from the build quality of the gimbal I am sure that the arms would have suffer some type of damage as well. I'm glad I installed the prop guards...

Well... I'm attaching a picture of where I see I small scratch in the ribbon cable and a video to show how the gimbal is reacting at startup and when in movement. Appreciate any help.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 378
In the menu recalibrate the gimbal. If the gimbal wont become level then the cover will need removed from back of gimbal and manually set level. Then recalibrate gimbal again.

Not sure if I want to start playing with the gimbal or if I should send it to DJI for repair. I'm in Florida 5 min from Miami and I see in the DJI website that there is an authorize repair center in Miami. Would I be able to take it there or should I first report it to DJI ? No idea how this works...

This might be a very easy fix. Look under the gimbal plate where the gimbal arm attaches. You will see what looks like a bearing with a flat spot in the very center. Rotate the gimbal arm so you can see if the set screw is in the same position as the flat spot in the center of the shaft in the mentioned bearing. If it is, then all will need to do is remove the 5 screws from the back of the gimbal, remove cover, and reset the D-shape part that stands out clearly once the cover is removed. With the cover off it should be understandable what needs to be done to get the gimbal level. Basically you will slide the part off the D-shaped shaft, level the gimbal, slide part back on shaft, install cover, calibrate gimbal, ready for flight!

This might be a very easy fix. Look under the gimbal plate where the gimbal arm attaches. You will see what looks like a bearing with a flat spot in the very center. Rotate the gimbal arm so you can see if the set screw is in the same position as the flat spot in the center of the shaft in the mentioned bearing. If it is, then all will need to do is remove the 5 screws from the back of the gimbal, remove cover, and reset the D-shape part that stands out clearly once the cover is removed. With the cover off it should be understandable what needs to be done to get the gimbal level. Basically you will slide the part off the D-shaped shaft, level the gimbal, slide part back on shaft, install cover, calibrate gimbal, ready for flight!

Hi Frank, Thanks for the recommendation. I tried a few things and couldn't get the gimbal to level and the live feed to work. Also one of the arms was developing a stress crack so I decided it was time to send it to DJI in LA. I called yesterday and they sent me an email confirming my ticket so today my bird is on its way to LA. I will keep all post on the development of my repair experience.

Now, am considering to install the gimbal saver when I get my p3p back. What's your opinion on that?

For those of you interested in DJI repair times ... Here is my story so far...
1. Had my accident on the 10 of October
2. Called and open a ticket with an RMA on the 12 of October ( free shipping label sent)
3. Drop the bird at FedEx on the 13 of October.
4. DJI received the bird on the 16th of October.
5. Repair completed and unit shipped back yesterday 22nd of October.
6. Expected delivery day 28 of October.

So far my experience based on time has been very positive. Communication regarding what has been done to the unit is none. I won't complain since my case was solved without any argumentation from DJI side and free of charge under the warranty and I'm trusting they did a good job fixing the unit. I sent the unit out for my gimbal and downlink problem plus one stress crack in one of the rear arms.

I will give you guys one more update after I receive my unit and can verify it is in pristine conditions as I am expecting now.

By the way... I just ordered the Gimbal Saver from Killer RC ... I won't go through another situation like this one in the future...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers