Just confirmed I have ESC 2.1, here's my Serial Number

Eltrochaphantom said:
WOW! Every single one of u who bought it from Amazon have the 2.1. Now I didn't buy It off amazon cause I thought they would be the worst ones and it comes out they are the best ones at the moment

Not true. I ordered Dec 29th through Amazon (fulfilled) and got a blank sticker on my ESCs.

This is another person in another topic. READ IT!!

Following the discussions here I decided to check my P2 v2 (And register on this site after lurking for quite some time). And discovered the ESC's did not have the V2.0 marked on the label.
I contacted my supplier, who contacted DJI Technical Support, they advised that late 2014 the P2 v2 were supplied with ESC v2 which did not have the V2.0 marked, only the separately ordered ESC v2 had the V2 marked.
They said that the ESC will have a Blue mark on the Capacitor to indicate a v2. DJI also advised them that no way was the v2 supplied with 2312 motors and NOT the ESC V2.0[/quote]

Email from them;"According to DJI Technical support, they informed us that when the production line first manufacture the Phantom 2 V2.0, they did not mark V2.0 on the ESC. The V2.0 ESC has short Blue line mark on the Capacitor (we mark a red circle on the pic) and they use that to separate the new and old ESC."[/quote]

There seems to be some confusion because the sale of replacement ESC's which have the V2 marked, but the factory fitted ESC may not have the V2 marked, (just a pen mark on the capacitor).[/quote]

jasonb777 said:
Isn't V2.1 the esc that we need not V2.0? It seems like alot of people are saying on this forum that V2.1 is the fix... :?

True! I want to know about 2.1 as well!!

Prylar Bek said:
jasonb777 said:
Isn't V2.1 the esc that we need not V2.0? It seems like alot of people are saying on this forum that V2.1 is the fix... :?

Well apparently no dji rep knows about a 2.1. Maybe a sticker mistake or did dji announce somewhere the 2.1

Eltrochaphantom said:
Prylar Bek said:
jasonb777 said:

Well apparently no dji rep knows about a 2.1. Maybe a sticker mistake or did dji announce somewhere the 2.1

So lets ask this question and direct it to the 'knowledge base' here. Lets say that 'no sticker' or '2.0' sticker guys want to upgrade. So wouldn't a 'simple' re-flash to the NEW 2.1 via the plug into the RC or the PT2 App be the way to accomplish this? Why would such a 'small' update...(2.0 to 2.1) require the entire removal of the ESC?

So what ur saying is something like a firmware update through assistant or connecting to the cable on the ESC

Prylar Bek said:
So lets ask this question and direct it to the 'knowledge base' here. Lets say that 'no sticker' or '2.0' sticker guys want to upgrade. So wouldn't a 'simple' re-flash to the NEW 2.1 via the plug into the RC or the PT2 App be the way to accomplish this? Why would such a 'small' update...(2.0 to 2.1) require the entire removal of the ESC?

Because ESC boards have their own "brain" and DJI has not built in a mechanism to perform an upgrade to it via the "main brain" which has the USB port. Upgrading ESC firmware probably even requires specialized hardware that's why they can only do it in the factory. But take this with a grain of salt, I'm not an electronics/hardware expert.

Nathan Carter said:
Prylar Bek said:

Because ESC boards have their own "brain" and DJI has not built in a mechanism to perform an upgrade to it via the "main brain" which has the USB port. Upgrading ESC firmware probably even requires specialized hardware that's why they can only do it in the factory. But take this with a grain of salt, I'm not an electronics/hardware expert.

Well, I'll take that as a good answer unless someone else knows better!

My vision plus v3.0
no version on esc
no vents have 4 beeps
hobby lobby, DesMoines Ia. 12/29/14
have nt flown yet but intend to weather permiting. I have pretty low #, much lower than most here. I've been watching here for a while and hve seen one with 2.1 with fried wires so this isnt getting us much closer to anything. Maybe have to look for colored marks now. Something causing hot wires and wifi boards somewhere in there but dont actually know what. Know people who have many hrs whithout problems with all those modals. So, dont really know, lots of confusion. Need an answer from dji to when you download upgrades if it automatically takes my unit to have no beeps. Have not hooked to computer yet. Was not going to at first and try it, some say absolutely do it.

mlars said:
I've been watching here for a while and hve seen one with 2.1 with fried wires ....

Can you please locate the place/post where you have seen that one? Is it this one:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32600&start=40

That are not fried wires. If that is the one you saw, here is my comment that I now copied from that thread about that case:

Nathan Carter said:
justin00 said:
So yesterday.. we thought esc 2.1 was the fix.. then someone posted up saying there 2.1 has burnt wires... whats happened since then ?? what is the latest lol ??

That someone is "tritontr21", page 5 in this thread.

There was no sign of burnt wires there. I believe you were the only one who immediately jumped in and replied/confirmed to that guy that they were. I suggest to everybody to go to page 5 and judge for themselves. Only slight deformation is visible which is probably just an uneven shape of heat shrinked insulation, or simply poor heat shrinking during assembly.

Anoter guy later confirmed(page 9) that he had the exact same deformations visible on new, never used motors:
knowonecares said:
I have new V3 motors not yet installed and the wire insulation varies in its shape and thickness, they look like the wires in the post.

Which confirms there is no issue with this.
One needs to remeber that in v3 there is no actual wire, as a separate component(like: motor, wires, ESC) now there is only two components: motor and ESC. The wire is the same copper winding wire extending from motor stator and insulated via heat shrinking probably by DJI when they assemble it. So that is why it probably looks a bit more "cheap" than the previous versions. But thats just the looks, the jury is still out regarding does that have some effect on function. Maybe it is even better than the previous versions. I certainly hope so, otherwise why call this an upgrade.

Eltrochaphantom said:

Following the discussions here I decided to check my P2 v2 (And register on this site after lurking for quite some time). And discovered the ESC's did not have the V2.0 marked on the label.
I contacted my supplier, who contacted DJI Technical Support, they advised that late 2014 the P2 v2 were supplied with ESC v2 which did not have the V2.0 marked, only the separately ordered ESC v2 had the V2 marked.
They said that the ESC will have a Blue mark on the Capacitor to indicate a v2. DJI also advised them that no way was the v2 supplied with 2312 motors and NOT the ESC V2.0

Email from them;"According to DJI Technical support, they informed us that when the production line first manufacture the Phantom 2 V2.0, they did not mark V2.0 on the ESC. The V2.0 ESC has short Blue line mark on the Capacitor (we mark a red circle on the pic) and they use that to separate the new and old ESC."

There seems to be some confusion because the sale of replacement ESC's which have the V2 marked, but the factory fitted ESC may not have the V2 marked, (just a pen mark on the capacitor).

I see a huge problem in this thread. We need an agreement about naming/versioning.
Since the release of Phantom 2 there have been 3 sub version: v1, v2 and now v3. I'm trying to source "historic" info about those initial versions but I have trouble finding relevant info. So I ask everyone, let's construct an exact timeline of versions as they have been released by DJI. This is my rough estimate:

Phantom 2 (no camera) --> v1
Phantom 2 VISION --> v2
Phantom 2 VISION+ --> v2
Phantom 2 VISION+ (upgraded with new motors/ESCs/propellers) --> v3

So when the Phantom 2 has been initially released that was v1, later when they introduced VISION and VISION+, the electronics got an upgrade and that was v2. I'm not sure if the first visions got the upgrade or came with same ESCs that were in the original plain phantom 2 and then later at one momemont got an upgrade that had new ESCs. I believe the start up beeps are only in that old v1 versions. So i think it is irrelevant to check for beeps now in v3 since those were already removed before even v3 hit the shelves. I'm willing to bet that no one will find the beeps on their v3's.

Another place for confusion is ESC versioning. On the ESC board there are two separate places which have markings. One is towards the main board, where there are markings right on the board itself. White letters. At the end of which there is a "V2" mark, that's hardware revision. All v3 phantoms have at that place "V2", most v2 phantoms have it also. It might also be connected to the beeps. So only really early Phantom 2 models will not have "V2" there and will have the beeps(my theory, for now, since I still have not been able to find definite proof).

The other place of markings on the ESCs is towards the motor on a white sticker. It's an additional version marking that is only existant for v3 Phantom 2. Three options exist:

- no marking
- v2.0
- v2.1

So these three options are present in one or the other v3 Phantom 2, and represents the ESC firmware upgrades

It was on the thread, if you bought new v plus please read!!. Did turn on my v3 and it does not have 4 beeps, it has none. Cant look through forum to find 2.1 with wire issue but it was here if someone can find. It took me 5hrs to get through it first time.

Nathan Carter said:
Eltrochaphantom said:

They said that the ESC will have a Blue mark on the Capacitor to indicate a v2. DJI also advised them that no way was the v2 supplied with 2312 motors and NOT the ESC V2.0

Email from them;"According to DJI Technical support, they informed us that when the production line first manufacture the Phantom 2 V2.0, they did not mark V2.0 on the ESC. The V2.0 ESC has short Blue line mark on the Capacitor (we mark a red circle on the pic) and they use that to separate the new and old ESC."

There seems to be some confusion because the sale of replacement ESC's which have the V2 marked, but the factory fitted ESC may not have the V2 marked, (just a pen mark on the capacitor).

I see a huge problem in this thread. We need an agreement about naming/versioning.
Since the release of Phantom 2 there have been 3 sub version: v1, v2 and now v3. I'm trying to source "historic" info about those initial versions but I have trouble finding relevant info. So I ask everyone, let's construct an exact timeline of versions as they have been released by DJI. This is my rough estimate:

Phantom 2 (no camera) --> v1
Phantom 2 VISION --> v2
Phantom 2 VISION+ --> v2
Phantom 2 VISION+ (upgraded with new motors/ESCs/propellers) --> v3

So when the Phantom 2 has been initially released that was v1, later when they introduced VISION and VISION+, the electronics got an upgrade and that was v2. I'm not sure if the first visions got the upgrade or came with same ESCs that were in the original plain phantom 2 and then later at one momemont got an upgrade that had new ESCs. I believe the start up beeps are only in that old v1 versions. So i think it is irrelevant to check for beeps now in v3 since those were already removed before even v3 hit the shelves. I'm willing to bet that no one will find the beeps on their v3's.

Another place for confusion is ESC versioning. On the ESC board there are two separate places which have markings. One is towards the main board, where there are markings right on the board itself. White letters. At the end of which there is a "V2" mark, that's hardware revision. All v3 phantoms have at that place "V2", most v2 phantoms have it also. It might also be connected to the beeps. So only really early Phantom 2 models will not have "V2" there and will have the beeps(my theory, for now, since I still have not been able to find definite proof).

The other place of markings on the ESCs is towards the motor on a white sticker. It's an additional version marking that is only existant for v3 Phantom 2. Three options exist:

- no marking
- v2.0
- v2.1

So these three options are present in one or the other v3 Phantom 2, and represents the ESC firmware upgrades

Your versioning is wrong. The v3, v2, v1 are all dji Phantom 2 vision plus. Just different generations of them

Also, the dji Phantom 2 (not vision) has a v1 and v2.

V stands for version

Here is my P2V+ V3 info
Serial # = PH645395
Order date = 12/15/94 from Adorama in NYC US
WIFI module = Does not have vent holes.
ESC's = labeled V2 and has a blue mark on the nearby capacitor. Also a circled K or H near the square cutout.
Beeps = Startup tone only with no red led's like the second example in this video. Possible indication of 2312 motors and ESC's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jph18PU ... e=youtu.be
Camera Counter = 1st pic #'s were quite high. Maybe DJI01500 or in that area.

I think it is quite possible from what I am seeing here in the forum that DJI is taking their returns and reconditioning/upgrading them, then repackaging and sending back out to distributors as new. There seems to be to many inconsistencies in the serial # sequence to believe otherwise. I inspected my bird very very carefully when I received it making sure that security tape and all packaging appeared to be factory, and had no reason to feel it was not a new bird. Now however, I believe it possibly may have been factory reconditioned. Only an intuition. I certainly do not blame the dealer and will continue to fly my Phantom. I will pop the top periodically and inspect for heat stress.

Anyone think I should be afraid of flying?

Attachments

• 20150110_094836.jpg
    20150110_094836.jpg
    793 KB · Views: 442
eyecon82 said:
Your versioning is wrong. The v3, v2, v1 are all dji Phantom 2 vision plus. Just different generations of them

Also, the dji Phantom 2 (not vision) has a v1 and v2.

V stands for version

Yes I agree with you. Actually that is what I was trying to say. I only maybe did not explain it well. What I believe is that they first released Phantom 2 without the camera, that was v1 then they released Phantom 2 VISION and a bit later VISION+ they were stil v1 (that is what you are saying here also). Then they made the upgrade to v2 that was then applied to the whole line phantom 2, phantom 2 vision and phantom 2 vision+.

The same thing is now happening with the v3. The upgrades are applied to the whole line: plain phantom 2, vision and vision+.
To simplfy it, there is:

Phantom 2 VISION+ v1
Phantom 2 VISION+ v2
Phantom 2 VISION+ v3 (latest edition which is now having issues with three different versions of ESCs present: unmarked, v2.0 and v2.1)

mlars said:
It was on the thread, if you bought new v plus please read!!. Did turn on my v3 and it does not have 4 beeps, it has none. Cant look through forum to find 2.1 with wire issue but it was here if someone can find. It took me 5hrs to get through it first time.
I've been reading that thread from beginning. Only mention of supposedly v2.1 wire issues were from the same guy from the thread I mentioned. He thought his slight wire deformations were heat induced, but later another guy showed how the wires from a brand new never used motor look. They looked exactly the same. So the conclusion was that that was not an v2.1 wire melting issue.
As far as I know there have been no documented problems with v2.1 ESCs

Nathan Carter said:
mlars said:
I've been reading that thread from beginning. Only mention of supposedly v2.1 wire issues were from the same guy from the thread I mentioned. He thought his slight wire deformations were heat induced, but later another guy showed how the wires from a brand new never used motor look. They looked exactly the same. So the conclusion was that that was not an v2.1 wire melting issue.
As far as I know there have been no documented problems with v2.1 ESCs

So is this the final confirmation? There is no heat induced damage on esc's 2.1.

Only on the 19,000 units or so that where shipped with upgraded motors with the 2.0 esc's ?

I am going to wait another week to determine what final approach to make with this. If the 2.1 software has now compensated for inductance and has shortened the pulse width than the motors and wires should not get as hot. More to take in.... :ugeek:

I have mosfets here ready for stacking and I dont want to waste effort by upgrading a "limited run goof" by DJI. If this is the case I will stack the 2.1 esc's and have some monsters that run super efficient. I will upgrade the motor leads to improve efficiency and remove the hardwire failure point. ;)

The mosfets Gate operating voltage/current requirements are low enough that I should be able to stack them and increase thermal efficiencies. Of course this opens up motor possibilities, not that it needs anything there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31