Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Just bought second hand p3 advanced set home question

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Robbiedarza, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Robbiedarza

Hello there.
    I've just bought my first ever drone it's A phantom three advanced. I was wondering how the set home point works. If I start it up and it runs out of battery is it going to try and fly back to its previous owner.

I haven't had it going yet I am still watching videos how to set it up I was just wondering how this works please.

Also I watched a video to Torio about setting up and it apparently is going to ask me for an email address which is bound to the device I was wondering how this works please?

Many thanks. Robin.

2. Darwish

Hi, congrats with the new amazing phantom ! To set a new home point, it will automatically do it when taking off, but most important !!! CALIBRATE COMPASS BEFORE EVERY FLIGHT!! This will let the drone know where north,east south and west is. To calibrate hit the "Safe to fly" or In flight " button on the screen, where it will say warming up, hit calibrate and it will show instructions. Remember to do an imu calibration before starting your first flight :) I recommend doing this every 20-30
    Flights, or if you have traveled very long, espically after an plane ride. CALIBRATE the imu at an Perfectly leveld surface, you can use your phone's compass if iPhone and then swipe to right to get an number of how straight it is , it should be at 0•.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

3. Robbiedarza

Wow, thanks for the fast reply and all the info mate, ill be sure to do all those things.

Many thanks

Robin

4. Darwish

Happy flying, btw look at all videos, videos
    From "Toms tech time" is good, and from
    DJI. Remember to put in an safe altitude on return to home. I personally have 50 meters. So it probably avoid most objects. Look at all tutorials possible before even taking off !:) Good luck buddy!

5. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Robin ... welcome aboard.
    If you haven't found the manual yet, it's here:
    https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Advanced_User_Manual_en_v1.8_160719.pdf
    RTH is one of the most important things for new users to learn.
    There are 3 pages about it in the manual and it's fairly simple.
    Your Phantom will automatically record a new home point every time it is started up and no, it won't want to fly back to somewhere from its past.

As for calibrating the compass every flight, a better strategy is to get one good compass calibration and stick with it.
    The compass doesn't lose calibration between flights and unnecessary recalibration introduces the risk of getting a bad calibration and causing trouble for yourself.

6. phantomi

DO NOT CALIBRATE COMPASS BEFORE EVERY FLIGHT!

Mark The Droner likes this.
  7. Richard R

Agree!!! Even the manual doesn't recommend repeated compass calibrations.

8. Robbiedarza

That's awesome guys, thanks so much. After reading the above posts and looking at some other interesting posts I feel much more confident about eventually actually flying the drone!!

I think I'll be using this forum every day!!

Cheers, Rob.

9. Oso

Oso

Welcome. Click here for a list of tips that I share with new pilots. Good luck!

JoBe likes this.
  10. msinger

Approved Vendor

If you're using the default settings in DJI GO, the Smart Return-to-Home setting will be enabled. That will automatically trigger RTH when your Phantom has calculated that it needs to return home in order to make it back before the battery has been depleted. If your Phantom is flying into a strong headwind on the way back to the home point, it might not make it back if you wait unit it tries to auto RTH. So, you should be mindful of the current weather conditions on each flight.

DJI-GO-Smart-Go-Home.png

Before your Phantom starts returning home, the DJI GO app will display a message to notify you it's going to RTH. After RTH is initiated, you can press the RTH button on the front of the remote controller to cancel it.

It's also important to watch the battery voltage as you're flying.

That's part of the Phantom activation process. You can see the complete process in the following video:

FYI, check out this thread for more details on when you should calibrate the compass.