Just bought my first drone!

Reaction score
I just purchased my first drone and couldn't be more excited! I've had a great experience with DJI so far. I placed my order for the Phantom 4 Pro+ last night (Monday) around 6PM, it was marked as shipped this morning (Tuesday), and I received a tracking number that says it will be delivered on Thursday! Can't beat that! I only bought the drone and 1 extra battery but I'm sure I'll be adding accessories soon enough.

The best part was I took advantage of the 10% DJI Education Discount. I'm not currently a student but I was able to obtain an alumni email address from my University and it ended with ".edu". Getting the discount code only took a second and it saved me $196.80!

I was going to buy the DJI Care Refresh protection but decided against it. I'm still waiting to hear from my insurance agent if the drone will be covered under my homeowner's insurance personal property. And if not I'm thinking about getting a personal articles policy to cover it. If neither of those options work out I'll probably buy the DJI Care Refresh.

Can wait to get this thing in the air!

I just purchased my first drone and couldn't be more excited! I've had a great experience with DJI so far. I placed my order for the Phantom 4 Pro+ last night (Monday) around 6PM, it was marked as shipped this morning (Tuesday), and I received a tracking number that says it will be delivered on Thursday! Can't beat that! I only bought the drone and 1 extra battery but I'm sure I'll be adding accessories soon enough.

The best part was I took advantage of the 10% DJI Education Discount. I'm not currently a student but I was able to obtain an alumni email address from my University and it ended with ".edu". Getting the discount code only took a second and it saved me $196.80!

I was going to buy the DJI Care Refresh protection but decided against it. I'm still waiting to hear from my insurance agent if the drone will be covered under my homeowner's insurance personal property. And if not I'm thinking about getting a personal articles policy to cover it. If neither of those options work out I'll probably buy the DJI Care Refresh.

Can wait to get this thing in the air!
Awsome :)

Reactions: DJI-Polar
And if not I'm thinking about getting a personal articles policy to cover it.

If you haven't already read, State Farm in the US offers standalone Personal Article policies - though it seems to vary by state. $30/year in MN to cover a P4 and accessories with no deductible. I think your homeowner's insurance would be more likely to cover liability.

If you haven't already read, State Farm in the US offers standalone Personal Article policies - though it seems to vary by state. $30/year in MN to cover a P4 and accessories with no deductible. I think your homeowner's insurance would be more likely to cover liability.

I did read that, but unfortunately State Farm doesn't sell insurance in Massachusetts. Best case scenario my HOI covers it, but I will probably have to get a Personal Articles Policy. I'm looking to get coverage for damage, theft and loss (I'm terrified of the possibility of a fly-away). Seeing $1799 fly away would be hard to deal with.

Post plenty of pics here,,and let's us know how your flights are going,,

Went out flying for the first time today...this thing is awesome. I just flew around in an open field but I can't wait to take it to some cool destinations.

I have a problem though. I have my SD card inserted into my computer and for some reason I can't play the files smoothly. The video files are very choppy and would be impossible to edit. I knew that my computer wouldn't be able to handle 4K video so I shot in 1080p thinking I'd be able to play that no problem. I have a 2009 MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB graphics, and 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory. Is this not up to standards to be able to view and edit 1080p video from my DJI Phantom 4 Pro?

Thanks for any info.

Ya my 2010 MacBook will do 1080p at 30fps but that's it. Even if I go to 60fps it gets choppy. Won't even think about 4K that's why I got the advanced. You need a pretty powerful computer for 4K...

Ya my 2010 MacBook will do 1080p at 30fps but that's it. Even if I go to 60fps it gets choppy. Won't even think about 4K that's why I got the advanced. You need a pretty powerful computer for 4K...

Wow...who knew. What a headache. I guess it's time for a new computer! :flushed:

Try copying the video files to your computer and then playing them - the trouble might be in the transfer speed on the card reader.

Happy flying Polar! I didn't have any way to view 4K on a computer (I have a macbook like sandman) but I DO have a 4K smart tv that has a USB input on it. TV detects the files and with just a few remove clicks I'm watching amazing 4K video.

Try copying the video files to your computer and then playing them - the trouble might be in the transfer speed on the card reader.

That's what I initially tried. I just don't think my processor/graphics are up to spec, so I'm researching whether or not the new MacBook Pro can handle 4k video editing. I was able to use the program HandBrake to compress the file from .mov to .mp4 and then it worked. File size went from 4.09GB to 179.9MB, so a huge difference.

Went out for my second flight today down in Galveston Texas. Called the airport control tower and they said the airport closes at 6pm, so do whatever I want after that. I was nervous because winds were 28mph with strong gusts. The P4P was rock steady! I flew it up to 200ft and maybe about 300yds out over the waves and had complete control. But man was I scared! There's nothing like seeing $2000 floating over the water with curious seagulls nearby. I couldn't believe how steady it was in those winds though! Looking forward to editing the footage once I get my new computer.

I resolved choppy 1080p 60fps on my PC by changing video card, and not a very expensive one. GTX 1050 ti $149 before $20 mail in rebate on Newegg.
Before that I had a GeForce 9500GT. My upgrade gives me one extra monitor output so I can send to my TV without changing cables.

Congrats on your purchase... However, if you have never flew a drone... I would rather start with a phantom 3 standard... Just to start learning... A $1,799 drone for a first timer is kind of risky... Just my thoughts.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20