Just Bought a USED DJI Phantom 2 Vision.. Where to from here?

Reaction score
Greetings all,
While not a "New" pilot of RC's, finally decided to try the upper echelon of vertical flight with the added experience of video. My daughter is also into it, so it's good "Daddy-Daughter" time together. Got what seemed like a good deal on a USED DJI PHANTOM 2 Vision. Gave it a very thorough visual inspection, and all appears well at first glance.

Read the manual twice, and although I'm a Network Engineer, these things are definitely not without their operational overhead and care. My BIGGEST issue is I don't want to "BRICK" this thing out of the box, and now having spent about 10 hours of watching videos, reading blogs, calibration/firmware upgrade instructions, and firmware upgrade horror stories, etc. I STILL am leery about even attaching my DJI Phantom or even firing the **** thing up.

It came minus a set of props (extras where still in the bag) which tells me this "Open Box Return" was probably very quickly crashed and then returned. I wanted to confirm the firmware on the Flight Unit, Camera, RC Controller, and Range Extender, but everything I read says first "Don't connect until Upgrade is Finished", so I can't simply just "hook it up and check", or can I? If so, is there a proper way to disconnect once you have done so?

Additionally, not knowing the firmware, should I just download the latest Assistant Driver and Software and let her rip? I have read a LOT of complaints about folks who, not necessarily wanting to contstantly violate the Fliight Vision Rules or Altitude limitations would still like to have the capabilities to go beyond if the need ever arose.

So I don't know but have downloaded every version of Assistant Software I have been able to get my hands on, as well as the RC Software, and the Droid .apk softare versions.

Can anyone tell me a good way without having to break the case of determining the firmware version, and the equivalent matching configurations for the IMA, RC, Phone app, etc. and how best to proceed at this point?

ANY assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
AJ

AJ just connect up to the RC & DJI assistant software that will tell you all you need to know, I too was like you spent hours reading and watching video's before I attempted any flights, just do it, there is no substitute for actual flying it.
I have a P3P, I got it two weeks after getting my P2 vision, it was 10 weeks before I felt I had enough experience to fly the P3P, but once I had you soon realise how much easier the P3P is to fly than the vision. So get in the air in an open space and just practise taking off and doing figure of 8 turns plus landings.
I found this the best way to get to know and the feel of the control's. I also learn't to hand catch from the get go, a lot safer for a novice.

Flack

Reactions: AJLebeau
Ahhh... The Phantom Vision+. That machine is a dream to fly. When I had mine I jumped right into flying it, but was of couurse nervous. I had dreams of it flying away or me crashing it into something. I can report that the Vision+ operates amazingly well in crazy cold weather (does not need to warm up like newer models).

All you have to do is download the DJI sofware to your computer (ensure Phantom is USB connected to your computer), ensure all Firmware updates are done for the Phantom and the controller (there is a screen that confirms this).

Go to a soccer or baseball size field. Remove the gimbal protector and place the Phantom on the ground facing away from you. Turn on your Controller, Range extender, phone/tablet, and last your Phantom. Perform a compass calibration... leave your transmitter at least 5 feet away from the Phantom when you do this.

Once compass calibration is done, again place your Phantom on the ground pointing away from you. Step back about 5 feet. Set the Gimbal to point forward. Start video recording. Pull both sticks down and inward to activate motors.

Take a deep breath and push 100% fully up on the left stick. Let the Phantom climb straight up to 10 or 15 feet. Release all controls.

Now practice. Picture yourself sitting in the Phantom and flying it (ignore your phone or tablet for now). Push up on the right stick slowly and fly forward 20 feet. Then push down slowly on the right stick and fly back. With the drone hovering in the air push the left stick to the right slowly. The drone will slowly spin clockwise. Now push the left stick to to left and the drone will spin counter clockwise. So that's how you steer.

Now your finally practice is to fly 50 feet forward, press right stick slowly forward, stop (release stick). Turn the craft 90 degrees left by slowly pushing the left stick left (then release stick). Now push the right stick forward and fly 50 feet and stop (release stick). Carry on by again turning the craft 90 degreed to the left (push left stick slowly to left), then fly 50 feet back towards you (push right stick forward slowly). One last time turn 90 degrees to the left (push left stick slowly to left). Finally slowly push right stick forward and the craft will be heading back to your location. You've flown your first square.

Expand on this and have fun!

Ahhh... The Phantom Vision+. That machine is a dream to fly. When I had mine I jumped right into flying it, but was of couurse nervous. I had dreams of it flying away or me crashing it into something. I can report that the Vision+ operates amazingly well in crazy cold weather (does not need to warm up like newer models).

All you have to do is download the DJI sofware to your computer (ensure Phantom is USB connected to your computer), ensure all Firmware updates are done for the Phantom and the controller (there is a screen that confirms this).

Go to a soccer or baseball size field. Remove the gimbal protector and place the Phantom on the ground facing away from you. Turn on your Controller, Range extender, phone/tablet, and last your Phantom. Perform a compass calibration... leave your transmitter at least 5 feet away from the Phantom when you do this.

Once compass calibration is done, again place your Phantom on the ground pointing away from you. Step back about 5 feet. Set the Gimbal to point forward. Start video recording. Pull both sticks down and inward to activate motors.

Take a deep breath and push 100% fully up on the left stick. Let the Phantom climb straight up to 10 or 15 feet. Release all controls.

Now practice. Picture yourself sitting in the Phantom and flying it (ignore your phone or tablet for now). Push up on the right stick slowly and fly forward 20 feet. Then push down slowly on the right stick and fly back. With the drone hovering in the air push the left stick to the right slowly. The drone will slowly spin clockwise. Now push the left stick to to left and the drone will spin counter clockwise. So that's how you steer.

Now your finally practice is to fly 50 feet forward, press right stick slowly forward, stop (release stick). Turn the craft 90 degrees left by slowly pushing the left stick left (then release stick). Now push the right stick forward and fly 50 feet and stop (release stick). Carry on by again turning the craft 90 degreed to the left (push left stick slowly to left), then fly 50 feet back towards you (push right stick forward slowly). One last time turn 90 degrees to the left (push left stick slowly to left). Finally slowly push right stick forward and the craft will be heading back to your location. You've flown your first square.

Hello Captian Drone,

You did note that this is a used Phantom Vision 2, not the 2+. Additonally, I would like to emphasize USED. That's what has me worried; do I go through ALL the Calibrations, RC Controller, and the whole nine yards?

Thank you for your encouragement,

AJ

My bad. I thought it was a P2V+. I've never updated the P2V. If it operates the same as the PV2+ then as long as all firmware is up to date and you calibrate your compass your ready to fly.

I would just like to thank you and the other Gent for your assistance and kind words of encouragement for the "Novice". My biggest concern is I bought this used (supposedly Open Box) but I noted right away that a set of props were missing, the USB Cable, and other minor parts that I managed to "Banjo" together. It just makes me wonder if somebody just got this up once and tanked it........ and now I really don't know how to check out the different versions, if they'll work together, or if I should bite the bullet and upgrade.
I'm charging everything up now, and hoping that it will work OK. BTW, I am located in a NO FLY Zone; will I be able to conduct all the upgrades/calibrations while in this area, or will I have to take it to a clear zone?

Thanks again for all your help guys!!

AJ

My bad. I thought it was a P2V+. I've never updated the P2V. If it operates the same as the PV2+ then as long as all firmware is up to date and you calibrate your compass your ready to fly.
Absolutely understandable; I think all is the same except for the camera gimbal controls, and perhaps the WiFi Extender.

Sure wish the had a "Table" of matching firmware for all of the various components instead of doing a total upgrade to everything, only because I've read so many posts on upgrade nightmares.............

AJ just connect up to the RC & DJI assistant software that will tell you all you need to know, I too was like you spent hours reading and watching video's before I attempted any flights, just do it, there is no substitute for actual flying it.
I have a P3P, I got it two weeks after getting my P2 vision, it was 10 weeks before I felt I had enough experience to fly the P3P, but once I had you soon realise how much easier the P3P is to fly than the vision. So get in the air in an open space and just practise taking off and doing figure of 8 turns plus landings.
I found this the best way to get to know and the feel of the control's. I also learn't to hand catch from the get go, a lot safer for a novice.

Flack
Questions about the hand catching; how do you turn off the props (STOP) after a hand catch?

Hover in front of you, just above head. Reach out with right arm and lightly hold part of landing gear. With left hand pull left joystick all the way back. Motors will stop within 2 seconds.

Awesome;........ yes, I watched a couple of videos, and it looks pretty cut a dried; catch with right hand, power down with the other. Another question; can't seem to get my computer to recognize (Both Laptop AND Workstation) my Phantom 2 Vision. Unloaded, reloaded Driver, and tried Assistant 3.6, 3.0, 2.0, no luck. Any advice here? From what I've been able to look up in the forum, it's not looking good......... don't want to fly it if I can't get it to update and read the data. The Camera App connects fine, and I'm in my basement, so I'm assuming that's why I'm getting no sattelites, however, I'm also in a no fly zone here at home. Should I take it to a good zone and give it a try there? Would that prevent me from connecting to the Phantom? I wouldn't think so..........

Hope I don't have to return this thing; I'm so exxcited to fly it!

Can't help with assistant software as I have not used the Phantom Vision, only the Vision Plus. For the P2V+ it was just a matter of dowloading the software of the DJI site (two programs) and running them with the Phantom connected to the computer via USB (the USB port on the Phantom for firmware not the one for photo download).

If you know you're in a no fly zone then compass calibration will still work however flight may not... move to another area.

Some people will expect that they can just spin on the props, pop in the battery and go out flying in the middle of the woods. You are leaps and bounds beyond that. While accidents can always happen and you always need to start with baby steps, enjoy flying. Even those first few close to launch flights should be enjoyed. Take it slow but have a good time. You can get some _great_ videos and photos with the P2!

Good NEWS! Finally got the Phantom to sync with my computer, and performed all upgrades; it was SEVERAL back, at 3.01! All the upgrades completed and had to cycle power a couple of times, and then hooked up the RC, ran that program, and it's all up to date!

Took it outside WITHOUT props, got 6 satellites (I believe that's minimum if I recall correctly, right?), and started the motors, and they idled as advertised.

I'll take it to a good fly zone and calibrate the compass for good measure and then.......... guess it's time to test it; nervous as heck, but I'll give it a try in a nice WIDE open field as suggested!!

Thank you ALL for your advice and assistance!!!

AJ

Some people will expect that they can just spin on the props, pop in the battery and go out flying in the middle of the woods. You are leaps and bounds beyond that. While accidents can always happen and you always need to start with baby steps, enjoy flying. Even those first few close to launch flights should be enjoyed. Take it slow but have a good time. You can get some _great_ videos and photos with the P2!
Thanks for the compliment; I've spent years screwing things up without reading the directions; now I'm "Man Enough" to realize I DON'T know everything and should when doing something like this!

Appreciate it!

AJ

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj