Just bought a DJI 1 noobie here

• Thread starter Deleted member 86603
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 86603

I just bought a used DJI 1 and waiting for it to arrive. It has the fpv? hooked to it also. I have never owned a DJI
I have had a Syma X8 that flew away one day. I now have a f450? that I have been learning to fly. I have watched many videos on u tube today and it seems that I have been flying backwords all of the time. what I mean by that is,when I lay it on the ground I have the front where my camera is installed facing me. I have been flying like this since I got the Syma. I tried today to fly the other way and was totally lost and ackward flying. My only interest is flying on the property here in the country and taking videos and hence my username.....I always fly alone. Should I remove the fpv system because I think it would only confuse me more in learning. Any adult supervision is greatly appreciated. "even though I'm 63 years old" I have a ton of questions but will leave it at this for now and read some of the posts.

I just bought a used DJI 1 and waiting for it to arrive. It has the fpv? hooked to it also. I have never owned a DJI
I have had a Syma X8 that flew away one day. I now have a f450? that I have been learning to fly. I have watched many videos on u tube today and it seems that I have been flying backwords all of the time. what I mean by that is,when I lay it on the ground I have the front where my camera is installed facing me. I have been flying like this since I got the Syma. I tried today to fly the other way and was totally lost and ackward flying. My only interest is flying on the property here in the country and taking videos and hence my username.....I always fly alone. Should I remove the fpv system because I think it would only confuse me more in learning. Any adult supervision is greatly appreciated. "even though I'm 63 years old" I have a ton of questions but will leave it at this for now and read some of the posts.
Happy flyin:rolleyes:

Every pilot has to learn how to fly the way you do sooner or later in case he loses orientation (i.e. which way the nose points) when the craft gets too far away and he can't see the nose. You've learned to fly whats called "nose in" first while most learn to fly "nose out" first.

Which ever way you're comfortable with is perfectly fine.... just remember that eventually you need to practice the other way when you wish to bring the craft back. EVERY pilot has the problem that you do when he brings the craft back because he has to remember that the stick controls are the OPPOSITE of what they were when he was flying away. Everything I've said of course assumes that the nose is pointing in the direction you want to fly because the camera should be showing what you would be seeing as a pilot if your were sitting in the craft.

Learn to fly both nose-in AND nose-out before flying backwards...the 2nd way will always take a lot more practice because its exactly opposite of how you first learned to fly.

Welcome to the forum..! I think it's very positive that you question the safety angle of FPV flying. When doing so it is recommended that you have a 'spotter' with you in case people wander into your flight path or area - but in your case if you are on private land this may not be something to worry about. However getting used to flying LOS (both nose-in and nose-out) is essential. This may cause comments to fly at me in the forum, but in my honest opinion too many pilots rely on the in-built tech on all Phantoms and do not understand the basic principles of flying a drone 'manually'. The tech is brilliant, but when it goes wrong such pilots end up in trouble with fly-aways etc. Anyway, good luck with the drone and enjoy it.

Every pilot has to learn how to fly the way you do sooner or later in case he loses orientation (i.e. which way the nose points) when the craft gets too far away and he can't see the nose. You've learned to fly whats called "nose in" first while most learn to fly "nose out" first.

Which ever way you're comfortable with is perfectly fine.... just remember that eventually you need to practice the other way when you wish to bring the craft back. EVERY pilot has the problem that you do when he brings the craft back because he has to remember that the stick controls are the OPPOSITE of what they were when he was flying away. Everything I've said of course assumes that the nose is pointing in the direction you want to fly because the camera should be showing what you would be seeing as a pilot if your were sitting in the craft.

Learn to fly both nose-in AND nose-out before flying backwards...the 2nd way will always take a lot more practice because its exactly opposite of how you first learned to fly.

Thanks for the reply. I'll start doing that real soon. I have done a little bit by staying in place and turning left or right and then moving forward a small amount.

Welcome to the forum..! I think it's very positive that you question the safety angle of FPV flying. When doing so it is recommended that you have a 'spotter' with you in case people wander into your flight path or area - but in your case if you are on private land this may not be something to worry about. However getting used to flying LOS (both nose-in and nose-out) is essential. This may cause comments to fly at me in the forum, but in my honest opinion too many pilots rely on the in-built tech on all Phantoms and do not understand the basic principles of flying a drone 'manually'. The tech is brilliant, but when it goes wrong such pilots end up in trouble with fly-aways etc. Anyway, good luck with the drone and enjoy it.
No spotter needed......just the wife as an audience and some birds in the area at times. "I think the birds are laughing at me though"

I removed all of the fpv stuff and did my first mod. I never liked the idea of just plugging in the battery. So for safety and ease of operation I added an off/on switch.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Why does a battery switch make anything easier or safer?

You need to disconnect the battery to recharge it after every flight and then reconnect again any way.

One more thing to remember... is the switch in the right position?

Another component that can malfunction.

Why does a battery switch make anything easier or safer?

You need to disconnect the battery to recharge it after every flight and then reconnect again any way.

One more thing to remember... is the switch in the right position?

Another component that can malfunction.

the reason for the switch is to help prevent a sudden start up of the props like happened to me today and sliced my finger open. the switch is tight and flush with the body and the battery bay area. i know it sounds a bit silly but ya just never know what can happen.

I'd leave FPV in. You don't have to use it but eventually you'll want to fly out further where camera view brings you up close. Just get familiar with the clearance boundaries in the view. If an object is taller than horizon when camera is straight (if there is such an adjustment on a P1) then you can't clear it flying straight at it at current altitude.

I have a Syma X5SW, previously X5C, phantom is big difference. Things changed too quick and too much control attention on the Syma to fly FPV but I easily adapted on my P3 since I can take my time to interpret what I'm seeing.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Interesting mod fitting a main on/off switch. If it gives you peace of mind it sounds good to me. One switch I may fit to mine is a secondary one to just switch the gimbal motors on/off as it seems to make sense to me to have them off when doing the 'compass dance'. At the moment I am still struggling to get the DYS 3-axis gimbal to operate in pitch mode from the new pot I have installed on the transmitter (I hate the expression "controller"). I notice you have the carbon plates fitted to yours for extra batteries - I would be interested to hear how the flight times are in this configuration given the extra weight? Also have you modified the battery compartment door for connecting these or what?

the reason for the switch is to help prevent a sudden start up of the props like happened to me today and sliced my finger open. the switch is tight and flush with the body and the battery bay area. i know it sounds a bit silly but ya just never know what can happen.
Having finger(s) cut is something I'd not want to happen again either.;)

What were you doing when the accidental startup happened?

If you were working on a mod, you should always remove your props first. As you get more experience you'll see that all good pilots recommend that practice to avoid exactly what happened to you.

Another important safety tip is to ALWAYS turn your remote on BEFORE you plug in your battery. That helps prevent accidental startups because your P1 can't then be armed (started up) unless you go through the CSC arming steps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues