just another pano

Yep, and a nicely stitched and framed one at that. I would consider setting your exposure for the brightest part of the scene with the aim of preserving more highlights. The blown out area tends to dominate, it's hard to keep the eye away from it.

Reactions: tml4191
Yep, and a nicely stitched and framed one at that. I would consider setting your exposure for the brightest part of the scene with the aim of preserving more highlights. The blown out area tends to dominate, it's hard to keep the eye away from it.
Thank you! I actually appreciate the correction since I am new to phantoms and photography. I am currently using photodirector 8 since it was free with the powerdirector 15. When you said set my exposure to the brightest part, were you talking about post edit or during the actual photo/panorama taking process? These were all taken at different exposures, and it was kind of an experiment. As I turned the phantom from left to right, I turned the dial to set the ev to "0" in every shot. I think that isn't the ideal approach, but that was done out of curiosity.

My intent wasn't to offer a correction, in the pursuit of art there are no rights or wrongs- only individual preferences and opinions.

What I have learnt, with respect to shooting pano's, is you will always get a more pleasing result by shooting every frame at the same exposure settings. This gives a far more pleasing result, capturing the natural as it was variations in brightness.

From a technical perspective this is a simple process. Set your camera to manual exposure mode and activate your histogram and overexposure warning indication. Aim at the brightest element in the scene and adjust your shutter speed so the highlights aren't clipped, you will see this by looking at the right of the histogram and the absence of the overexposure warning (zebras). Once the exposure is set go ahead and shoot your frames for the pano.

While you can recover detail from underexposed areas in post this doesn't work for the grossly overexposed areas. Once you exceed the maximum brightness the sensor can record there is nothing to work with.

For extremely contrasts scenes you can shoot several frames at various exposures and blend in post (HDR or masking).

Reactions: tml4191
My intent wasn't to offer a correction, in the pursuit of art there are no rights or wrongs- only individual preferences and opinions.

What I have learnt, with respect to shooting pano's, is you will always get a more pleasing result by shooting every frame at the same exposure settings. This gives a far more pleasing result, capturing the natural as it was variations in brightness.

From a technical perspective this is a simple process. Set your camera to manual exposure mode and activate your histogram and overexposure warning indication. Aim at the brightest element in the scene and adjust your shutter speed so the highlights aren't clipped, you will see this by looking at the right of the histogram and the absence of the overexposure warning (zebras). Once the exposure is set go ahead and shoot your frames for the pano.

While you can recover detail from underexposed areas in post this doesn't work for the grossly overexposed areas. Once you exceed the maximum brightness the sensor can record there is nothing to work with.

For extremely contrasts scenes you can shoot several frames at various exposures and blend in post (HDR or masking).
...still thank you for the input^
The histogram and overexposure hasn't been used for a while now. It might be time to turn it back on. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers