Just a quick note to even things out...

Reaction score
Just wanted to say I'm on most recent fw, iPad Air 2, dji go app, painted my entire phantom black, killer rc gimbal saver and dji carbon fiber reinforced props and carbon fiber camera guard.

It flys straight! Gps holds position very well, never had a fly away

Also... The black does not make it overheat, harder to see or mess up any sensors.

iPad has some glare but that's not dji's problem, it has never overheated on me and the app has never crashed once.

It can carry a full beer can tied to the landing gear but I doubt much more

It will not! I repeat.... WILL NOT fall out of the sky if I hold the left stick down for any amount of time!!

Not much to say about the props... There black with a white strips. Not sure if there balanced but it fly fine so I'm not concerned if there not!

Gimbal saver does not affect gimbal movement and the camera guard has never shown up in my camera view.

I have prop guards but I'm to lazy to take the screws out to install them and to cheap to buy the quick disconnect pieces for them.

To start I'm not trying to say this thing is perfect..... Just saying with everything I have done I have no issues.

Also, not trying to brag that I don't have any issues but with all the negative I feel the phantom could use some praise

I'm really happy that the new fw is working out well for everyone. If it had the same amount of issues as the last fw I might have to check out the "other" forum for a while....

Overall this is an amazing piece of equipment for the price and with all the features it would be a miracle if everyone phantom sold worked flawlessly

It does suck and I do feel bad for the people having problems but I just wanted to share some info and positive experiences.

And last... It will not fall out of the sky if you hold the left stick down

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438918518.871796.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438918547.936498.jpg

Cool looking bird! I think the majority here have had good luck with the latest updates. Hopefully, the ones who didn't will get it figured out soon.

Didn't you know orange is the new black? Thanks for taking the time to list the above.

I have one P3P which is awesome and the other sucked badly, I now run the "old" controller with the new bird and same tablet. It seems it was just the bird which behaved like an errant kid on crack!

An easier way to color that bird black without adding paint layers is to fill up a bucket with warm water and rit dye it black. Youll get an even finish without a smell and youll never have to worry about scratch revealing original color.

An easier way to color that bird black without adding paint layers is to fill up a bucket with warm water and rit dye it black. Youll get an even finish without a smell and youll never have to worry about scratch revealing original color.
Rit dye will not take to the shell, assuming the material is the same as the p2......iDye Poly will take though.

I'm very new and also very sympathetic with people who have crashed, regardless of whether or not it is pilot error. It my P3 crashed it would be just awful.

Having spent countless hours reading the DJI site and support for users, and learned an incredible amount from other users, I do agree that DJI has many opportunities for improvement.

However, we are getting to operate an incredible system. This relatively inexpensive quads have...

a GPS system that tracks multiple GPS systems
a visual tracking system
ultrasonic height detection
multiple gyros and accelerometers
very compact video recording systems
live telemetry/mapping/video feed
multiple redundant systems to get the quad back safely

Yep, all this can be made better, but also want to recognize how much work and technology has been bundled up into these small machines.

Incidentally, that is a truly cool looking P3! Did you disassemble the whole thing to paint/dye it? How hard is that process?

Well said silicongeek. That's the shorter version of what I was trying to say.

I spray painted it. I removed the vps and camera from the bottom. I split the shells and pretty much just placed them on cardboard with the electronics facing down and started spraying

I did tape off the motors a connectors that were loose but that's about it.

I got some overspray on the inside but that will just dust the top of the components and the conductive side of the circuit board is not in any danger

I might get a new she'll one day and paint that but it looked like a lot of work to remove everything.

I figured my chance of messing something up from overspray was far less than the risk of breaking something and not being able to put it back together.

Rit dye will not take to the shell, assuming the material is the same as the p2......iDye Poly will take though.
I guess Ill have to dye another shell just for you then. Cause mine I dyed matte black for a buddy worked just fine.

I guess Ill have to dye another shell just for you then. Cause mine I dyed matte black for a buddy worked just fine.
Hey, if you just have a pic of one you dyed with rit I'd be convinced....no need to see the process I'll take your word with a pic.....but i tried to no avail to get the rit to work on my p2 shell....iDye Poly did it effortlessly in my experience.

That looks sick mate. There's something about a black and aluminium finish that just looks more serious!

I've been using a P2 for 18 months. Just bought a P3P two days ago after waiting for the dust to settle from launch.

Upgraded to the latest firmware immediately which went smoothly. Only had a couple of test flights so far, but it's an incredible machine. Lightbridge, the camera, and the iOS app just makes the whole experience outstanding. Love it.

I heat the shell up for 15 seconds just before I drop it into the dye. Before I do anything I boil the dye in a pot, then transfer that heated dye into a rubbermaid container and Drop the body into it and leave it. I do the same process with my traxxas stuff. I dont care for the black bodies I did it for my buddy. The nice and clean white body is more my speed. Ill see if I can find a pic for you, or maybe Ill dye a set of landing gear I have here

Man that turned out real nice. Did you paint over the lights under the arms?

I did. Then after I used fingernail polish remover to remove about half the paint. The lenses still look dark but the lights are still quite visible through the paint.

Has anyone plastidip'd one? At least you could peel it off if you didnt want black anymore.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl