(July 18 2014) Vision+ fresh out of the box setup firmware

Reaction score
Hi,

Tomorrow i will be the proud owner of a new Vision+ (i am located in the Netherlands).

As of 18 July 2014 I was wondering which firmware you guys recommend i should use for both controller and the phantom itself?

And what is the best pre flight checklist to follow?

Other tips and suggestions for out of the box Vision+ are very helpful to me and to new owners. :D

Thank you.

Re: (July 18 2014) Vision+ fresh out of the box setup firmwa

The most useful tip I got as a newbie was to not take off slowly, rather goose it off the ground then release when she pops off the ground. If u take off slowly like the manual says it will tip over every time.

My brother taught me when you're done flying, to not land it on the ground because half the time it'll tip over and break the props, especially if the ground isn't completely level. We just bring it down to a hovering state like above waist height/shoulder height, then grab it from the landing gear and turn off the propellers. It's soooooo much easier and better. At first I thought I was going to get cut by the props hitting me but there's really no way for them to hit me and I've never been hit.

Thanks all,

Should i just get the latest firmware upgrades? I am not sure what it runs on out of the box.

The latest firmware is fine but applying it can be rather confusing and cause frustration or scary moments.
No harm in flying it for a couple of weeks as it came out of the box.
Sooner or later it will need connecting to check calibrations and some things are going to try to update themselves whether you like it or not. You can avoid this by disconnecting from internet to do any checks.

Mezzerin said:
Thanks all,

Should i just get the latest firmware upgrades? I am not sure what it runs on out of the box.

My philosophy is that they update the software for multiple reasons and it is always best to stay on the official, supported version. You'll have some on this forum disagree with that. Most of them are expert fliers who don't like restrictions on how fast they can descend, etc. For a newbie, I'd say plug into the assistant software and accept all the updates to the latest versions.

As for tips, one is trees are not your friends. Two is when you are panicked, let go of the sticks and it will hover right there. Three is, don't fly in tight spaces if it is windy. Four is use a light touch on the sticks and the tilt (you'll get smoother, better video that way). Five is don't forget to start and stop your recording. Six is If you shut down the bird without stopping the recording, it may corrupt the file. Don't panic. Power up and down the bird again and that should fix the recording. You may lose a few seconds of the end.

Best of luck and keep checking out the Forum.

joefuller757 said:
Mezzerin said:
Thanks all,

My philosophy is that they update the software for multiple reasons and it is always best to stay on the official, supported version. You'll have some on this forum disagree with that. Most of them are expert fliers who don't like restrictions on how fast they can descend, etc. For a newbie, I'd say plug into the assistant software and accept all the updates to the latest versions.

As for tips, one is trees are not your friends. Two is when you are panicked, let go of the sticks and it will hover right there. Three is, don't fly in tight spaces if it is windy. Four is use a light touch on the sticks and the tilt (you'll get smoother, better video that way). Five is don't forget to start and stop your recording. Six is If you shut down the bird without stopping the recording, it may corrupt the file. Don't panic. Power up and down the bird again and that should fix the recording. You may lose a few seconds of the end.

Best of luck and keep checking out the Forum.

+1 (on the firmware)

I read an article that gave advice on buying a smaller much less expensive bird, to get used to the flight controls and characteristics. I did what they advised and am glad i did. I flew it for a week and learned the controls and how to maneuver. But I think if use the Quick Start Guide, you should be fine.

Get to a very open space and like the one guy said, take off fast (FULL THROTTLE) and get it up to 15-20 or even 50 feet. Next, marvel at its beauty. Next, learn to land smoothly in this same short flight session. Make sure you're on flat ground as well. That is important. I landed mine on grass one time and it was tilted back a little. It was fine until I tried to take off again, and it tilted back into the ground and made the rear props stop when they hit the ground. No biggie, but could be bad if on dirt, rocks, etc.

Learn how to land. Then hand catch if you want.

Goede avond, en wilkom!

Firstly, always make sure you have home lock set. This means the second set of rapid green flashes (first locks compass orientation). That way, it won't take off at speed to the last known location if it decides that the connection isn't strong.

Secondly, get into a big field with no trees (or relatively low ones) and practice taking off (full throttle until she reaches about 3 metres) then practice the routines in the quick start manual. All very worthwhile.

Remember, you will have to charge the range extender (overnight?) first, so you probably won't get to fly it on day one.

I found that it takes a few minutes into each flight until the nerves calm down and the shaking stops! Also, if people approach and start talking to you, be polite and ask them to wait until you are in a position to talk to them. If possible, get it into n open space, let go of the sticks and offer them a view of what you can see. You'll find people are usually fascinated, especially small children.

Always hand catch - this eliminates 95% of the risk of the props touching anything.

Take your time and enjoy it, the results can be fantastic. Take a look at some of my clips - YouTube channel in the signature below; I look forward to seeing some of your clips. Where are you located in Holland? And bad luck in the World Cup... :D :D :D

Tot straks!

Connor

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I live in Arnhem, maybe you know it from the movie A Bridge Too Far.

About the range extender, cant it be simultanously charged with the Phantom? What are charge times of Phantom and range extender btw?

First charge of the range extender will be overnight (I think!!!), the phantom battery is about an hour. Both can be charged at the same time as they are completely separate. The range extender lasts about 6 hours (???) and the phantom about 20/22 minutes.

Arnhem - in Gelderland! My mother was from Gemert in Noord Braband, and my son lives in Delft. We visit Holland regularly.

I look forward to your clip of the famous Bridge!!!

CBS

A battery takes 2 hours to charge from 15%. Range extender 8 hours initially then 2 hours or so from 70%.

Mezzerin said:
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I live in Arnhem, maybe you know it from the movie A Bridge Too Far.

About the range extender, cant it be simultanously charged with the Phantom? What are charge times of Phantom and range extender btw?

We know your town. Had a project there years ago. We bought pieces of the old bridge encased in Lucite. Love visiting the Netherlands. We just had crew there last Friday at a Andre Rieu concert in Maastricht.
The range extender takes several hours - longer than to charge the Phantom battery. Enjoy.

Welcome to the group.
If you start to feel nervous or panicky while flying, just let go of the sticks and let the Phantom hover in GPS mode for a moment while you take a deep breath and relax. It's easy to over control when you get disoriented.
Get a camera guard to protect the gimbal.
Stay away from trees.
Remember altitude is your friend.
:)

Thank you, what Camera Guard do you guys recommend?

I just unpacked the Vision+. After turning it on i noticed the camera is slightly pointed to the left while placed on a flat surface table. Is this something that is correctable in the software or is it a hardware fault? Does it need calibration?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj