Juggling full time job and drone work

Reaction score
Just recently lost a potential repeat gig with a local photography firm, mainly because of availability issues. My guess is that they wanted somebody with a flexible schedule, and since I'm working full time, I just wasn't a good fit for them. Kind of a bummer, but I do like being able to take jobs on my terms as a sole proprietor. Plus, I make a lot more money off my full time job, so it takes priority.

How many of you work a 9-to-5 job and balance UAS jobs with it? Have you lost customers due to your availability? What do you do to keep customers happy without jeopardizing professional relationships or your career?

I do this. I mainly do wedding videography as my side gig but work full time as an engineer. Because weddings are usually on the weekends I have never really run into any issues besides having to take a Friday off or something of that nature. Most my other video work is done on weekends as well. I have been asked recently about a gig that would require a work day type of shoot and haven't quite worked out the details on that but mostly I'm a weekend warrior when it comes to the side biz

I work a full time "day" job but I have a lot of flexibility to leave when I need to. I'm headed to a paying gig in an hour.

The best you can do it try to be flexible as possible and any jobs you don't get just keep them in mind and try to win them over for other less demanding projects. You won't get them all so when you don't get one, don't harp on it and look towards the next opportunity.

As of right now we are working pretty much 7 days a week and I'm almost ready to hire some additional help.

I work a full time "day" job but I have a lot of flexibility to leave when I need to. I'm headed to a paying gig in an hour.

The best you can do it try to be flexible as possible and any jobs you don't get just keep them in mind and try to win them over for other less demanding projects. You won't get them all so when you don't get one, don't harp on it and look towards the next opportunity.

As of right now we are working pretty much 7 days a week and I'm almost ready to hire some additional help.

That's great you're getting so much business! Right now, I'm working mainly with a realtor that I've developed a good relationship with. I'm getting about 2 jobs a month on average, which is fine supplemental income for me. I'd like to up the numbers to a weekly basis, but in the meantime my flying and editing is getting better with each job, and the drone has paid for itself :)

Develop a bond with the local Chamber of Commerce and the local Board of Realtors. Those are "Target Rich Environments" for this line of work. You want to get "in good" sooner than later because you can bet your bottom dollar someone else will slide in there if you don't already have the opportunity locked up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan