JPG images not recording altitude

Reaction score
Hi,

In Adobe Bridge metadata, I noticed that the JPG images contain the GPS coordinates but are missing the altitude. The RAW DNG images however do have the GPS and altitude values. Curious how to get altitude to be recorded on JPG. It would be nice to know how high my P2V was in the JPG picture.

Thanks.

DronePeter said:
It is not a bug at all.
There is just no altitude in a JPEG file.

;)
There usually isn't altitude data, but it is defined in EXIF and so can be carried there. Presumably nobody cared before now, or something.

DronePeter said:
It is not a bug at all.
There is just no altitude in a JPEG file.

;)
Maybe you're kidding - but JPEG files most certainly *do* have an Altitude EXIF attribute - if your software bothers to actually write it. All my iPhone JPEGs have Altitude in them.

Geert said:
You are right Jimre.
JPEG files DO have these data.
However, if I do open a recent DNG file in photoshop I can clearly read all exif data, inclusif the altitude, but when I save that file as a JPEG the altitude data is gone.
Didn't figure it out why. I am working on it.
Will be continued ..... ;)

Geert.
What app are you using to process/export your DNG files? Works fine for me using Lightroom 5 - as long as I remember not to check the "Remove location information" box on the Export settings.

jimre said:
Geert said:
You are right Jimre.
JPEG files DO have these data.
However, if I do open a recent DNG file in photoshop I can clearly read all exif data, inclusif the altitude, but when I save that file as a JPEG the altitude data is gone.
Didn't figure it out why. I am working on it.
Will be continued ..... ;)

Geert.
What app are you using to process/export your DNG files? Works fine for me using Lightroom 5 - as long as I remember not to check the "Remove location information" box on the Export settings.
Never mind - looks like you're using Photoshop. Just did some testing with Photoshop CC, and here's what I think is happening:

If I take a P2V DNG image that has GPS coordinates (normal Phantom flight photo), open in it Photoshop, and save as JPEG - everything works as expected. The JPEG has both GPS coordinates and altitude.

But if I take a P2V DNG image WITHOUT GPS coordinates (indoor test shots with P2V sitting on a table, no GPS lock), open it in Photoshop, and save as JPEG - then the JPEG has NO GPS coords and NO Altitude.

Maybe Photoshop considers Altitude to be part of GPS? And if the Lat/Long GPS coordinates are missing, then it seems to skip writing the Altitude attribute to the JPEG. If so, this seems like a Photoshop bug - especially since Lightroom works as expected.

What version of ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) are you using? Looks like Adobe fixed some GPS-related bugs in the ACR 6.5 release:

Release Notes - These items have been FIXED in Camera Raw 6.5:

GPS Altitude metadata was incorrectly excluded from files converted to DNG or exported as DNG files from Lightroom 3.4.1.

When Camera Raw 6.4 or the DNG Converter 6.4 converted a raw file with a sidecar that includes GPS in the EXIF namespace (but no real GPS EXIF in the raw file) to DNG or another format (ex: JPEG), the Date Component of the GPS TimeStamp was lost.

You should be able to upgrade to ACR 6.7, if you haven't already. That's the last version that was compatible with CS 5.x.

Sorry to bring up an old thread from the dead. But a new owner here of a P2V+, and I'm unable to find any altitude data in the EXIF of both DNGs and JPEGs....Using Photoshop CC, File Properties in Windows, and an online EXIF tool...none show any altitude data. Had 8 satellites locked during the flight.

Any idea?

...and another one asking for reactivation :)

Starting my P2 Vision experience with videos only I switched to photo shootings now. Searching other forums for some infos I read about the contents in EXIF describing not only GPS data but altitude and direction also.
This should work for RAW format ( DNG) and JPG ( I think after developing with a program like Lightroom or others).
But I detected empty fields in my EXIF for altitude and direction.
Ok, I can live with that but it would be nice to have these dates sometimes. What I'm wondering about is the fact that some people post a screenshot of their EXIFs with altitude data inside.
And that is the question now: why is there no data saved in my photos? I use RAW/DNG format, have the latest updates in firmware, assistant program and android app, used several photo tools to check EXIF ( also installed the test version of Lightroom yesterday...). Is there any configuration missing? Had I to re-upgrade the camera with latest firmware because the first one failes ( but I saw a "success" for the update and everything works fine)?

Save landings

Lem

Attachments

• exif_gps.jpg
    exif_gps.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 694
First, the Altitude data recorded by the P2V camera is actually "GPS Altitude". If you take a picture without GPS lock (eg, an indoor test shot), there will not be any altitude data.

Second, the P2V camera has *never* recorded the EXIF attribute for "GPS Altitude" with JPEGs, AFAIK. Ongoing bug as far as I'm concerned. I'm guessing the JPEG stuff is handled by some built-in support library for the camera CPU chip, which apparently ignores GPS Altitude.

Third, the GPS Altitude *is* written correctly for DNG files. Presumably because DJI had to write their own code for this (with Adobe's help) rather than rely on the camera's pre-existing JPEG code.

Fourth, as mentioned earlier in this thread, there was also a bug in Adobe Camera RAW prior to ACR 6.5 (and Lightroom prior 4.0) where the GPS Altitude attribute would get dropped when you exported a DNG to JPEG.

And Fifth - I haven't tested this extensively, but there may be some variation in whether GPS Altitude is saved correctly - depending on whether you're shooting in single- or burst-mode.

Whew...

Hi jimre,

ty for the quick response...and you solved my problem :)

jimre said:
First, the Altitude data recorded by the P2V camera is actually "GPS Altitude". If you take a picture without GPS lock (eg, an indoor test shot), there will not be any altitude data.
- ok, my pictures are outside in-flight with GPS

Second, the P2V camera has *never* recorded the EXIF attribute for "GPS Altitude" with JPEGs, AFAIK. Ongoing bug as far as I'm concerned. I'm guessing the JPEG stuff is handled by some built-in support library for the camera CPU chip, which apparently ignores GPS Altitude.
- I meant if you save a DNG-exposed picture with EXIF data containing Lightroom would save it inside a JPEG output ( see my example EXIF data from JPEG)

Third, the GPS Altitude *is* written correctly for DNG files. Presumably because DJI had to write their own code for this (with Adobe's help) rather than rely on the camera's pre-existing JPEG code.
- that's correct...raw/DNG data contains altitude

Fourth, as mentioned earlier in this thread, there was also a bug in Adobe Camera RAW prior to ACR 6.5 (and Lightroom prior 4.0) where the GPS Altitude attribute would get dropped when you exported a DNG to JPEG.
- see my test output...it's LR version 5.x from yesterday :) worked perfect

And Fifth - I haven't tested this extensively, but there may be some variation in whether GPS Altitude is saved correctly - depending on whether you're shooting in single- or burst-mode.
- and this is the solution! I checked pictures shot with "time captured" configuration only :(
now I did it with a single-mode picture...taaa-daaa! there it is...GPS altitude...

Good to have these helping hands here :) tyvm

And both examples...first screenshot EXIF data of the picture in single-mode with GPS data with GPS altitude,
second is a Lightroom output from the DNG file exposed as JPEG with EXIF data containing GPS altitude in JPEG EXIF.

Now I can go to sleep without any nightmares... ^^

cu
Lem

Attachments

• exif_gps_success.jpg
    exif_gps_success.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 668
  • exif_gps_as_jpg.jpg
    exif_gps_as_jpg.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 638

Members online

No members online now.