JPEG's Look Square

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 v2. It seems when I take a photograph, they look almost square. I pulled one randomly, and it's 4384x3288. Is this normal? Is there a setting that you can change that?

Thanks in advance,
Jack

DJI00039.JPG

I have a Phantom 2 v2. It seems when I take a photograph, they look almost square. I pulled one randomly, and it's 4384x3288. Is this normal? Is there a setting that you can change that?

Thanks in advance,
Jack

View attachment 30847
If the P2 is like P3, you can change it to the 16:9 HD format, but that only crops the larger 4:3 view into 16:9, throwing away the pixels. You gain nothing by doing that, other than losing the abilty crop them out more selectively in post. Just crop to the frame you desire later from the full 4:3 capture. You will capture more of the scene initially, but you'll have more flexibility later.

In your example photograph, I would crop to 16:9 by removing entirely from the top of the frame, which includes the prop guard and the prop. If you shot this in 16:9 instead of 4:3, it would have cropped half off the top and the other half off the bottom, which contains useful pixels. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: snerd
If it is a P2 NON-VISION, are you using a GoPro? If so, how are you taking the picture? Are you taking a screen-grab? Do you have it set up in "Video+Photo" mode? I have a Hero 4 Black and I set mine to "Video+Photo" and it takes a picture every 5 seconds, and the pics are 16x9, the same as the video.

Explain your camera setup please...

If it is a P2 NON-VISION, are you using a GoPro? If so, how are you taking the picture? Are you taking a screen-grab? Do you have it set up in "Video+Photo" mode? I have a Hero 4 Black and I set mine to "Video+Photo" and it takes a picture every 5 seconds, and the pics are 16x9, the same as the video.

Explain your camera setup please...
The photo is clearly 4:3, so it can't be a screen grab from a 16:9 frame, nor a goPro Video+Photo, if those are 16:9. It's likely the P2V+ which is 1080p video in 16:9 and 4:3 on photos, just like the P3 on the photos.:cool:

The photo is clearly 4:3, so it can't be a screen grab from a 16:9 frame, nor a goPro Video+Photo, if those are 16:9. It's likely the P2V+ which is 1080p video in 16:9 and 4:3 on photos, just like the P3 on the photos.:cool:

That's what I was thinking, it's probably a P2V+. So the P3 takes square pics? Never knew that. Still futzing with my setup, seems to be working well so far.

That's what I was thinking, it's probably a P2V+. So the P3 takes square pics? Never knew that. Still futzing with my setup, seems to be working well so far.
Not square, but 4:3. If you change it to 16:9, you are cropping the top and bottom of the 4:3 image, not expanding it horizontally. The pixel count is from the 4:3 sensor. If you make it 16:9, you'll lose some 30% of the sensor recording.:cool:

My poor cameras have been totally neglected since acquiring my P3P's. So I finally pulled out the 5D3 to take the family portrait yesterday. Felt good to set up a shot again! May have to start using them more. I have a 7D that I still use for birding.

My poor cameras have been totally neglected since acquiring my P3P's. So I finally pulled out the 5D3 to take the family portrait yesterday. Felt good to set up a shot again! May have to start using them more. I have a 7D that I still use for birding.
Same here! It's like, how can I shoot this with the P3P? Even family portraits are being shot with the P3P on the dining room table or hood of the car, using the iPad FPV for framing! I still pull out the D7100 with a 210-600mm telephoto equivalent for birding. Still have a male hooded oriole visiting hummingbird feeders, long after he should have migrated with his two females! At least all the LR skills aren't going to waste. Getting pretty proficient at Premiere Pro, too, now. :cool:

I'm a sports photographer so I'm used to shooting with a 1D Mark IV and 300mm f/2.8... imagine getting that on my P2... D'OH! I am actually glad I got the P2 though because I have the Hero 4 and want to start using that more.

If the P2 is like P3, you can change it to the 16:9 HD format, but that only crops the larger 4:3 view into 16:9, throwing away the pixels. You gain nothing by doing that, other than losing the abilty crop them out more selectively in post. Just crop to the frame you desire later from the full 4:3 capture. You will capture more of the scene initially, but you'll have more flexibility later.

In your example photograph, I would crop to 16:9 by removing entirely from the top of the frame, which includes the prop guard and the prop. If you shot this in 16:9 instead of 4:3, it would have cropped half off the top and the other half off the bottom, which contains useful pixels. :cool:
Thanks Gadget! Great answer!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
In my post I said it was a Phantom 2 v.2 which I believe only comes with a camera, so it's definitely not a GoPro.

In my post I said it was a Phantom 2 v.2 which I believe only comes with a camera, so it's definitely not a GoPro.

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, but a Phantom 2 V2 DOES NOT come with a camera. The Phantom 2 Vision and Vision + come with cameras. So when you said "Phantom 2 V2" i figured you had a GoPro, since you didn't say "Vision" or "Vision +"...

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, but a Phantom 2 V2 DOES NOT come with a camera. The Phantom 2 Vision and Vision + come with cameras. So when you said "Phantom 2 V2" i figured you had a GoPro, since you didn't say "Vision" or "Vision +"...
Except the supplied sample image couldn't be from a GoPro, according to your own analysis, because it clearly wasn't in a 16:9 format. It's 4:3. That's how I knew it wasn't a GoPro, based upon your post. :cool: Hey, we are all here to help, and your contributed information was helpful to me, even though you could have answered your own question, so thank you for your post. Every little bit helps.

I'm a sports photographer so I'm used to shooting with a 1D Mark IV and 300mm f/2.8... imagine getting that on my P2... D'OH! I am actually glad I got the P2 though because I have the Hero 4 and want to start using that more.
When we finally get 10x optical zoom on our drones, it will likely be 4/3 format because of the weight considerations. Even the new 4/3 camera and lens options for the more robust Inspire1 still only offer 2x because anything more would throw off the current neutral balance of the camera mount. In the mean time, the media still thinks that digital zoom (frame crops) are the same thing as optical zoom. Oh, well. They have to perpetuate the myth of privacy invasion with some kind of BS. A 20mm eqivalent focal length would have to be within 10 feet, sounding like a noisy lawnmower, to get the same view you can get with your cell phone silently! Or with a 300 f/2.8 from 100 feet. The 300 f/2.8 is the privacy invading paparazzi stalker lens, not a 20 mm wide angle! :cool: Should it be made illegal to use a 300 f/2.8 in public now, too?

If the 300 becomes illegal I'm screwed!! lol... And if people only really did know the difference between digital and optical zoom. My mom wanted to buy a digital camera last month, showed me what she wanted, said "Hey, it's got 60x zoom!". I said "Optical or digital?" Bet you know the answer to that one... lol... Being that I'm a photographer I am very picky. I would think a zoom would really throw off the balance.

And its funny that the people i talk to about drones think these cameras zoom. When they realize they don't, most then understand that you'd have to get pretty darn close to get a decent shot, and they also say they don't worry too much now when they see them far away.

Funny what happens when people see facts, instead of listening to crap...

Oh, they zoom alright! With the forward right stick! Kind of defeats the purpose of surreptitious photography. As soon as they come up with a silencer for the motors on the Phantom, like a silent shutter on a DSLR, we are good to go! Maybe some kind of noise cancellation could be initiated by emitting sound waves from the Phantom that would neutralize the noisy motor sound. Stealth Mode to be built into the P4 for the Paparazzi! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers