JPEG picture size

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking and learning on this site for a while but I haven't seen this topic come up before. While the manual states that small/medium/large JPEG picture size should be in the 10/12/14 meg range all of mine are in the 3-4 meg range. When I shot in RAW mode the pictures were around 28 meg which I believe is in line with what other people have mentioned. All of the pics that I have shot are in Auto/Standard mode - straight out of the box settings. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong with the settings? I have updated all of the software to the latest releases which I assume includes the camera.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

You are confusing the picture size (number of pixels) with the file size (number of bytes required to store the image.)
For example, an image might be 4000 pixels wide by 3000 pixels high (12 megapixels) but when saved as a JPEG file (which is a compressed format) it may only take up 2 or 3 megabytes to store it. A RAW file is not compressed and takes a lot more space.

syotr said:
You are confusing the picture size (number of pixels) with the file size (number of bytes required to store the image.)
For example, an image might be 4000 pixels wide by 3000 pixels high (12 megapixels) but when saved as a JPEG file (which is a compressed format) it may only take up 2 or 3 megabytes to store it. A RAW file is not compressed and takes a lot more space.

You are most likely right about that. I guess I was just surprised about how much compression was being done. The pictures look pretty good but show pixelation when zooming in on them. I knew that the results weren't going to be as good as my DSLR but I had hoped for something "beefier" for lack of a better word. As long as it is operating within normal parameters then it's fine.

Thanks for the input!

syotr said:
Exactly.

Large, Medium and Small represent different aspect ratios. Large being a 4:3 image like you typically get from a digital camera. The camera crops the top and bottom of the full size image to get Medium (3:2) and Small (16:9). Most people would want to do any cropping outside the camera where they have more control. Hence the BlackTracer's comment about always using large.

It's in the manual under Camera Settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31