Jonathan is Dead... A word of warning

Reaction score
So... I have been moaning and groaning forever and it finally happened! It is my fault... and it is not...

While flying along a winding mountainside road, I was aware of several aspects, the bird could be caught in updraughts or downdaughts, so I waited for the stillest day possible to shoot of the 10 AC Cobras driving along the road. I have been hesitant to do this shoot as due to line of sight being a major issue...

After much planning on Google and a "scout flight" to find the right angles. I was ready!

So I set up to shoot coming towards me then away, this would mean a walk of about 1/2 mile, with a range of about 1/2 mile it should be no problem. The P3P has been behaving so I decided to do it with "Jonathan", my P3P

My walk up took me away from "home", I set the RTH to home to 200 feet just in case, as I was well aware of line of site.

So here is the problem, walking away from "HOME" I did not take into account that in the event of signal failure, Jonathan would fly directly home... into an area out of line of sight and into the side of the mountain if I did not set the height high enough...

So as it goes... it decided to lose signal again at around 500m away from me, because it was great side light, I could still see him as this bright spec, I waited for signal to return which it would in a second or so, except on this occasion it decided to last longer, no idea how long because I never saw him again, I suspect he bounced off the mountain and into the sea. Taking my eye off it to check the screen I did not see it again.

The only thing i can think of is that it lost connection and then initiated RTH, which put it out of line of sight and then it would not reconnect. RTH would kick in and it would fly HOME...

So a word of warning if RTH is different to where you are, if there is a disconnect at any time that the difference between your line of sight and "as the phantom flies" with HOME, may put it in a collision course...

If your phantom is acting up in anyway as mine has, I WOULD ONLY RECOMMEND CLEAR OPEN SPACES WITH NO OBSTACLES... sounds like a no brainer...

DJI, if it did not lose connection, there would be no problem, now I have nothing to show except the 20 mails showing you the data of the disconnects, lets hope you do the right thing.

RIP Jonathan... o_O

Anyone with any experience with the Walkera Voyager 3? Seems like a good machine for the money? Any opinions would be appreciated.

mountain.jpg

Sorry for your loss, that was a tough day I'm sure. For what it's worth, you got a beautiful there. Can you copyright it and sell it at a photography show?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj