Joining the AMA

Reaction score
I would like to no how many of you have joined the AMA, also give your pros and cons of the organization, and what more they can do to represent there members, thankyou

I would like to no how many of you have joined the AMA, also give your pros and cons of the organization, and what more they can do to represent there members, thankyou
they don't do any thing there a joke to the multirotor community aka drones they will never get another dollar from me my homeowners ins is better than theres any way

Everyone has their own opinion. I would suggest you go to the site and have a look around. It will answer the questions you have. They fight for ALL rc aircraft users. Multi rotors are becoming more accepted everyday. This happens every time there is a major advancement. There is a time period to where the new idea is shunned a bit. They are coming around nicely now. :)
Along with all the things they do to promote rc aircraft & safe flying, membership also gets you supplemental insurance coverage over & above your homeowners coverage.

Check it out here - http://www.modelaircraft.org

Everyone has their own opinion. I would suggest you go to the site and have a look around. It will answer the questions you have. They fight for ALL rc aircraft users. Multi rotors are becoming more accepted everyday. This happens every time there is a major advancement. There is a time period to where the new idea is shunned a bit. They are coming around nicely now. :)
Along with all the things they do to promote rc aircraft & safe flying, membership also gets you supplemental insurance coverage over & above your homeowners coverage.

if there coming around nicely now why didn't they file sute agenst the faa when the proposed registration came out?
they don't care about multi rotor pilots check there you tube acct out of there over 500 videos theres only 4 drone ones hmm!
and there insurance they even state its a secondary or excess ins over your home owners and the accident had to happen at a ama flying field my friend was declined when he needed stitches when he got hurt at a school field because it wasant ama approved field
THERE A JOKE!!!

The AMA is a joke. I had a trial membership and it expires in 10 days and have already received a reminder email about renewing and I will not do it. I live in the DC area and ALL AMA fields are closed. Also don't try to use their website because it is down!

The AMA is a joke. I had a trial membership and it expires in 10 days and have already received a reminder email about renewing and I will not do it. I live in the DC area and ALL AMA fields are closed. Also don't try to use their website because it is down!
maybe they realized they suck so much they gave up and closed up shop hahahaha

We heard you, you don't like them. And about being denied for not being on an approved AMA field that is BS. Unless your friend signed up for the "Park Flyer" membership (which you would only do if you planned to fly in AMA parks) the coverage would be available to them. If you live in DC there is a massive NFZ there.

I recently signed up with AMA. There is a RC field really close to me that requires AMA membership for the insurance. The field is next to a lake, so it is the perfect place for me to gain expertise flying the P3P and also learn how to fly over water, before I venture in more exotic places. Besides that, I also like their monthly magazine.

I joined last week, partly to assist in national advocacy activities and for the liability coverage. Membership costs, especially for we older folks with discount, is very inexpensive. Seemed a reasonable thing to do!

Reactions: Jaime Ray Vaughn
I joined a month or so ago. I realize that they were formed around fixed wing rc but like what was stated above uavs are relatively new. On top of that there is some earned animosity towards uavs; all these new rules that they got roped in to just like us were because of uavs.

Right now they are the only show in town on a national level. They have a voice with the FAA, maybe not a commanding voice but at least they are being heard.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I joined after finding out how much liability insurance is. The $75 Annual Membership offers thousands of dollars of liability insurance. Well worth the price.

I called my Home Owner's Insurance policy holder and in a nutshell they said, they may or may not cover damages caused by my drone. Its on a case by case basis. I called around for a specific Drone policy for a hobbyist and the best I got was ~100 bucks a month! Thats twice as much than my insurance for my brand new motorcycles.

Reactions: Jaime Ray Vaughn
I've been a member for a decade or more (I fly fixed wing RC aircraft as often as I do drones).
I've never had to use their insurance. I find their membership worth the price for access to AMA sanctioned fields and their monthly publication which has increasing articles and reviews on mulitrotors.

maybe they realized they suck so much they gave up and closed up shop hahahaha
These fields were forced to close due to the FAA's NFZ around DC.
Nothing to do with the AMA closing them - fact is the AMA doesn't have flying fields or clubs, they only sanction private clubs.

if there coming around nicely now why didn't they file sute agenst the faa when the proposed registration came out?

I read through the laws/rules that mandate registration and frankly, I seriously doubt the existing two suits will prevail. I'm guessing the AMA had a legal team review the odds of a successful suit and they decided there was no reason to throw money down an empty well. (But we shall see.)

I'm not a member, but I may join.

S

I joined after finding out how much liability insurance is. The $75 Annual Membership offers thousands of dollars of liability insurance. Well worth the price.

I called my Home Owner's Insurance policy holder and in a nutshell they said, they may or may not cover damages caused by my drone. Its on a case by case basis. I called around for a specific Drone policy for a hobbyist and the best I got was ~100 bucks a month! Thats twice as much than my insurance for my brand new motorcycles.
It's actually $2.5m in insurance for liability, was the sole reason I joined, don't seem to have received a magazine yet though!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic