Jitter while panning only

Reaction score
I ran into an issue last weekend. Any time I pan my drone, specifically during a POI shot, in a very bright environemnt, the video stutters as if frames are jumping back and fourth a frame or two. This is evident on my SD straight off the card in windows media player, VLC, and Premier Pro prior to editing.

I know my shutter speed is high due to the bright lighting but is this truely the cause of this problem? What I find strange is this issue is not evident in any other movements, it really only happens while panning. Warp stabilize helped but it's still there.

The attached clips were only trimmed in premier pro, the jittery movement is identical in the raw file.

I was recently reading a post in the P4P forum about a pilot seeing this same issue only while panning. With ND 16, 60fps, SS120. I hope this isn't something normal, I've never noticed it this bad before.

P3P
1080p
60fps
SS 320
ND8

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
From what I see, it doesn't look like "strobing" due to high shutter speed. It looks one of two things: Either a flaw in the gimbal, or the normal effect from the rolling shutter characteristic of these cameras.

If the second, there's nothing much to do. I'm used to working with FCP X in Mac and it has a specific rolling shutter correction feature... I don't know if the same feature is available in Premiere.

If there is something with the gimbal, it seems something very small. Maybe a small issue with lubrication or the stepping motor that yaws the camera.

I ran into an issue last weekend. Any time I pan my drone, specifically during a POI shot, in a very bright environemnt, the video stutters as if frames are jumping back and fourth a frame or two. This is evident on my SD straight off the card in windows media player, VLC, and Premier Pro prior to editing.

I know my shutter speed is high due to the bright lighting but is this truely the cause of this problem? What I find strange is this issue is not evident in any other movements, it really only happens while panning. Warp stabilize helped but it's still there.

The attached clips were only trimmed in premier pro, the jittery movement is identical in the raw file.

I was recently reading a post in the P4P forum about a pilot seeing this same issue only while panning. With ND 16, 60fps, SS120. I hope this isn't something normal, I've never noticed it this bad before.

P3P
1080p
60fps
SS 320
ND8

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To me it looks a bit like video from pilots who forget to remove the small piece of shipping foam from the back of their gimbals. You've had your P3P for quite some time however, so I'm sure you would have noticed it by now. Even so, we did have one guy here who left the shipping foam in place for a full year and had lots of jittery video before I suggested he remove the foam. It's worth a quick glance just to be sure yours is removed if you don't recall removing it when you unboxed your P3.

Reactions: JoBe
To me it looks a bit like video from pilots who forget to remove the small piece of shipping foam from the back of their gimbals. You've had your P3P for quite some time however, so I'm sure you would have noticed it by now. Even so, we did have one guy here who left the shipping foam in place for a full year and had lots of jittery video before I suggested he remove the foam. It's worth a quick glance just to be sure yours is removed if you don't recall removing it when you unboxed your P3.

Yes it does look like that! I'll take a closer look at the gimbal. What's strange though is the jitter only happens when panning across the bright side of the home. When filming the shaded side, the video is perfectly smooth.

Did you try at a different fps? 50p or 30p?
And yes, the fast shutter speed does produce jitter images at high speed movements. You can try to decrease the speed of the shutter (decrease the value) in manual mode, even if you burn the image, it's just for testing, and see if the jitter is still present.

Last edited:
I tried 4k at 30fps, same deal but worse.

Try to lower the shutter, at 2x frame rate, (1/120 for 60p). If that solve your problem (ignore that the video is over exposed), then use ND filters (8, 16, or a variable ).

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic