Jerky vertical waypoint/poi interpolation

Reaction score
Obligatory Introduction: Noob to the forum. phantom 3 standard. Noobish drone pilot, but experienced programmer.

I ran a simple waypoint mission today that exhibited jerky vertical panning. Information at
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Can anyone explain the shaky vertical panning, and how to prevent it? Something I'm doing wrong or an interpolation bug? TIA.

Last edited:
Phantom 3 standard. ipad air 2 with litchi app 1.15.4.

Wayflight was a series of point/poi pairs. The problem was some weird jerky vertical behavior in the camera pitch. Some kind of issue interpolating from one POI to another?

You can see the issue at 00:00:15, 00:02:48, 00:03:37, 00:03:46, 00:04:22, 00:05:07.

Flight link at hMission Hub - Litchi

Not sure if this is related, but I smooth the camera way down. It's left that way so if a POI is used it is very smooth. Perhaps trying that would smooth your POI to POI down as well.

How do you have "gimbal pitch angle, mode and rotation set"? I would recommend 'focus poi', 'interpolate' and 'custom' respectively. And double check the setting such as poi height, etc. for each poi as well.

Thanks for the advice, but I am afraid I don't understand it. "Smoothing the camera"? Can't find instructions in either the DJI or litchi manuals. And "gimbal pitch mode" is set everywhere to "focus poi". Angle and rotation are automatic. I do have a minor difference in my poi heights, but any issues here would suggest a bug in the litchi interpolation, which is unlikely.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did a second run. Set all the poi heights to be the same, reduced the waypoint heights from 30m to 25m, and increased the cruising speed. There was no jerkiness in the camera pitch angle.

During the first video, my 12 yr old son was holding the controls while I drove. He admits that he may have toggled some of the controls, including the camera pitch angle. I wonder if it is possible that manual changes in the controller settings could have overridden the waypoint autopilot? Should be easy to test.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers