Jerky Panning With a P3Pro

Reaction score
When I rotate my drone to pan the cam, the video is jerky. I was hoping to use the drone to make real estate videos but the jerkiness won't cut it. Any suggestions for quelling the jitter to get a smooth pan?

This can be a problem. You can solve it in couple of ways -

Increase the length of the control sticks by unscrewing the caps. You can get some 'mushroom' shaped caps (Amazon / eBay) that some people find easier to control.

In advanced settings, Gain and Expo tuning - Change 'Rudder Left' and 'Rudder Right' to something about 0.25.
In Gain Settings, set 'Yaw' to around 80%. You may want to change back for more normal flying.

That sort of helps. Lots of practice also helps.

You can also set pans in Litchi or Autopilot that are very controlled. That's probably the best answer for Real Estate since you can plan it carefully.

You can get a contraption on Amazon / eBay that essentially sets up more friction on the sticks which slows the movement of the sticks. I've not found those helpful, YMMV.

I'd love to have somebody find a set of high end x-y potentiometers that would fit into the RC case and that had better mechanics. I'd also like an Inspire 2 RAW, a deHavilland Twin Otter and a pony.

Reactions: derek897
There are a few possibilities here...Wetdog speaks of a phenomenon known in cinematography from way back in bad ol' film days, wherein there is essentially a maximum pan rate people can handle. To oversimplify it a little, there's just only so fast you can pan before your brain starts having trouble perceiving smooth motion.

Not sure we know enough to establish that this is the problem, though: what frame rate and shutter speed are you shooting? And where is it looking jerky? Live? Playback?

The solution could be be upping the frame rate, adding ND, increasing the expo value for yaw to help you move slower, automating the move using one of the apps mentioned above, or fixing a busted gimbal (?)

...there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get buttery smooth moves with the appropriate care and setup

Reactions: Alanbathurst
Reactions: StevenQX
if you wanna do awsome cinematographic shots get litchi app and take the phantom filmschool course with these 2 all will go like a cloud

Best way to solve the issue is by using waypoint missions. I'm sure you would like it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

for smooth camera moves, you have to make the phanom feel like it has some real mass to it.

major motion pictures shoot with big, heavy cameras that have some serious momentum to them. camera moves are slow because they have to be.

try and replicate this by adjusting your gimbal settings so that the camera moves slowly even when the dial is pinned. experiment with the settings so that any camera pans slow to a stop after you've released the wheel.

also, make sure you're shooting at 30fps, 1/60 sec for shutter speed, and control the exposure with ND filters.

And, unfortunately- no matter how smooth you are on the sticks or what autonomous flight sequences you employ there will be instances where the codec and DJI's stupid bitrate limitation will introduce artifacts while panning. DJI imposed the same dumb restriction on the non RAW X5 hanging under the inspire also. It's very frustrating.

Question.. Where are you seeing this?? On your PC???
Check your PC specs and make sure it can handle 4K. It may be jerky because your PC may not be up tp scratch.

When I rotate my drone to pan the cam, the video is jerky. I was hoping to use the drone to make real estate videos but the jerkiness won't cut it. Any suggestions for quelling the jitter to get a smooth pan?

It surprises me that a know photographer should know when inquiring about a picture or video related issue should do so by displaying pic or video clip.

When I read the description to the issue, the 1st thing that came to my mind was problem with the flat gimbal cable. I then scan through everyone else response and see that nobody saw it like I did. Had I seen descriptive words like "fast turning" or "speed of the turn" then I would have thought this was more about slowing down the Yaw Rate.

John, as you can see there is a great community here of helpful members. Just know that not all are mind readers. Please try to include a little more detail, if it's available.

Btw, you do take some nice pic's. You should add some to your skypixel account.

Question.. Where are you seeing this?? On your PC???
Check your PC specs and make sure it can handle 4K. It may be jerky because your PC may not be up tp scratch.

On my 60" TV. I'm shooting 1080P.

1080p...30? 60? Playing back through what? And are you seeing stutter like dropped frames? Or is this bad gimbal movement?

It surprises me that a know photographer should know when inquiring about a picture or video related issue should do so by displaying pic or video clip.

When I read the description to the issue, the 1st thing that came to my mind was problem with the flat gimbal cable. I then scan through everyone else response and see that nobody saw it like I did. Had I seen descriptive words like "fast turning" or "speed of the turn" then I would have thought this was more about slowing down the Yaw Rate.

John, as you can see there is a great community here of helpful members. Just know that not all are mind readers. Please try to include a little more detail, if it's available.

Btw, you do take some nice pic's. You should add some to your skypixel account.

Hi Frank,

I've been tied up for the last couple of weeks with Reno Air Races, a few air shows after that, and now this weekend is Blue Angels/Fleet Week. They seems to all bunch up in September and October around here and I get bogged down every year--so although I have watched the vids on my TV I haven't had the time to put them up on YouTube. I was at work perusing the forum and on a whim posted the question thinking it may be a common problem. I'll post a vid but it may not be until next week.

I don't think I have a skypixel account! Really, I have very little drone-shot material so far. I've got Ground-to-Air and Air-to-Air stuff on Flickr, YouPic, Flying Magazine, and my own sites, FlyerFocus, John King Photography (which is hosted by SmugMug, which I cannot stand--looking for an alternative and when things slow down I'll dig deeper into WordPress Templates as a no cost/low cost alternative). Thanks for the kind words on the photos. I get just as much enjoyment out of hearing people enjoy my photos as I get creating them.

Hmmm .. making those links did not work out at all as expected.

1080p...30? 60? Playing back through what? And are you seeing stutter like dropped frames? Or is this bad gimbal movement?

I believe it's playing back at 30 fps. I'm playing it back through Plex on a Linux server and a Roku box into my TV. Don't think it's dropping frames or bad gimbal. I'll post a vid in the next few days.

Hi Frank,

I've been tied up for the last couple of weeks with Reno Air Races, a few air shows after that, and now this weekend is Blue Angels/Fleet Week. They seems to all bunch up in September and October around here and I get bogged down every year--so although I have watched the vids on my TV I haven't had the time to put them up on YouTube. I was at work perusing the forum and on a whim posted the question thinking it may be a common problem. I'll post a vid but it may not be until next week.

I don't think I have a skypixel account! Really, I have very little drone-shot material so far. I've got Ground-to-Air and Air-to-Air stuff on Flickr, YouPic, Flying Magazine, and my own sites, FlyerFocus, John King Photography (which is hosted by SmugMug, which I cannot stand--looking for an alternative and when things slow down I'll dig deeper into WordPress Templates as a no cost/low cost alternative). Thanks for the kind words on the photos. I get just as much enjoyment out of hearing people enjoy my photos as I get creating them.

Hmmm .. making those links did not work out at all as expected.

Are you wanting the rotating speed to be slower, or is it a altogether different issue you are not happy with?
to
On skypixel.com you should only need to use your dji.com login info get logged into your account there.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik